Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting out...

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 11:21
Hi all

As a 58 year old my psa score went up from 2.6 to 3.5 (I think) in a year so my consultant sent me off for an mri - just had my results and my pi-rad score is 3, I’ve now got a biopsy happening around 10 May (just waiting for my letter). Lots going through my head so I’ll probably spend a bit of time reading through past posts to learn a bit about the subject.

Question - are there any tips on preparing for a biopsy.

Many thanks

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 12:23

My PSA was 2.2 the first time it was tested in 2010. Under 4 then was classed as normal. When it was next tested in 2017 it had risen to 17 odd, and I was subsequently diagnosed with cancer.

My Urologist says that if I had been his patient back in 2010, he would have recommended regular PSA tests thereafter, although he did admit that “I see a lot more men with high PSA than your GP”.

Tip for preparing for a biopsy: insist on a template targeted biopsy under general anaesthetic (if you can cope with being knocked out).

Best of luck!

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 20:47
Many thanks, I’ve been monitored for a few years - was 6 monthly but moved to annual 2 years back as the levels dropped. Sod’s law made it that it shot up at the 2nd annual check
User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 13:57
Hello Pete,

I’ve only just joined this site following my very quick diagnosis, multiple tests and finally 10th April, having the prostate taken out. There is nothing to prepare for the biopsy. It is about a 30 minute session, normally taking out a dozen “slivers” of the gland for examination. Whilst it is definitely uncomfortable, it is nothing to be feared. You will have an injection or even two. In my case, the consultant was so nice and caring.

You may have some slight bleeding in your motions that night and feel marginally uncomfortable, but by the next day I was fine.

Hope that helps

Jes

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 14:45
Hi Jezza, as was mentioned earlier. Try to have a template biopsy, it gives far more accurate results, and we have a nice little sleep while it's done. Totally painless.
User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 18:04

Hi, 

On preparation for a biopsy, put on clean underwear and wash your behind.  It wasn't so bad although I found it a bit undignified, the male nurse seemed more like a sergeant major, face the wall and lower your trousers, lie on your left and bend your knees up.  They were both poker faced. There was an anaesthetic and measurement of the prostate. The nurse got out long needles to give to the doctor who had a gun with an ultrasound sensor that went click.  I started anticipating the needle shots and contracting muscles and was told to relax.  I think it resulted in 2 pins having no result, wasted shots.  

Uncomfortable is the best description.  It's not painful just odd probably due to the anaesthetic.  There can be blood on the padding they put over your bottom when you get home and an interesting mix of colours when you go to the loo for a while.

A psa of 3.5 seems pretty low although a 50% increase in a year could be significant but might not be.  If the standard biopsy doesn't find anything they might do an MRI or a template biopsy or do another psa.

Regards
Peter