I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads diagnosed

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 20:51
Having read a few conversations on this forum I am hoping for some advice.

My dad was diagnosed last month as having advanced prostate cancer. His PSA level was just 1.1 but unfortunately his cancer is grade 4, aggressive and g-score is 9. His cancer has spread to his hip bones and nodes.

It has been a devastating blow for the family. Dad has been on HT since and is now on the HT patches. He has had another Ct scan to see whether the cancer has spread further or not, doctors can not tell through blood tests as he has a non-secreting PSA.

Again we are waiting for the results - which is utter hell.

I have been keeping his spirits up and he generally is a positive guy, however, he is very worried as he is self employed and has no savings or life/health insurance. Does anyone know of any help he may be able to receive? He will be starting chemo soon (10 sessions) and then on to RT.

Any advice or experience would be gratefully received, I hate feeling so useless.

Thank you!

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 22:15

Hi Daughter x, Sorry you find yourself here. Waiting for the results is hell isn’t it. I’m waiting for some at the moment. They say keeping distracted helps.

Macmillan publish a booklet, ‘Help with the Cost of Cancer’ and ‘Self-Employment and Cancer.’ Their Freephone tel number is 0808 808 00 00 or macmillan.org.uk They have welfare rights advisors who will be able to help.

There may be a Macmillan’s at the hospital where your Dad is receiving treatment where you can get face to face advice.

If your Dad has savings less than £5,000 he will be eligible for full ESA, Employment and Support Allowance, proportionately less if he has more than £5,000. I think this can be backdated to when he was diagnosed or stopped work.

Hope this relieves some of the anxiety for you both. G

Edited by member 15 Apr 2018 at 22:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 23:19

Organised ESA for my next door neighbour, he was put in a support group, not even given a work capability test. Can't think someone approaching 60 receiving chemo or RT is going to have the stamina to work. Maybe in your 50s.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2018 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 23:41
Thank you for your reply, lots I can certainly look at and research, thank you!

He’s only 55 and is hoping he his able to continue work, though his oncologist is not happy for him to. He’s always been an active, fit and strong man so he is worried about his finances and his quality of life.

I’ll pass over a the information you’ve provided.

I wish you well in your journey and pray your next set of waiting results are positive

User
Posted 16 Apr 2018 at 00:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Organised ESA for my next door neighbour, he was put in a support group, not even given a work capability test. Can't think someone approaching 60 receiving chemo or RT is going to the stamina to work. Maybe in your 50s.

That's good to know - there haven't been many success stories ✔

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 22:03

Are they planning to do RT to the prostate every day over a period of weeks or just giving a zap to the bone mets to reduce pain? Do you know which kind of prostate cancer he has been diagnosed with? It should be written on his diagnosis letter - the most common type is adenocarcinoma but there are other rarer types that are non-secreting and need different treatment regimes to the common type.

The government gives financial assistance to people with cancer but only once the medics say the person is terminal and has less than 6 months to live (some oncos will sign the paperwork at 12 months) and my guess is that your dad is nowhere near that stage yet. Cancer Research UK have been doing some awareness raising about the financial implications of getting cancer - you could try contacting them for advice or see if your local hospital has a Maggie's centre.

Edited by member 15 Apr 2018 at 22:44  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 22:15

Hi Daughter x, Sorry you find yourself here. Waiting for the results is hell isn’t it. I’m waiting for some at the moment. They say keeping distracted helps.

Macmillan publish a booklet, ‘Help with the Cost of Cancer’ and ‘Self-Employment and Cancer.’ Their Freephone tel number is 0808 808 00 00 or macmillan.org.uk They have welfare rights advisors who will be able to help.

There may be a Macmillan’s at the hospital where your Dad is receiving treatment where you can get face to face advice.

If your Dad has savings less than £5,000 he will be eligible for full ESA, Employment and Support Allowance, proportionately less if he has more than £5,000. I think this can be backdated to when he was diagnosed or stopped work.

Hope this relieves some of the anxiety for you both. G

Edited by member 15 Apr 2018 at 22:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 22:55

ESA is worth a try but others here have applied and been rejected at the work capability test - being on chemo or RT doesn't stop most people from working.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 23:19

Organised ESA for my next door neighbour, he was put in a support group, not even given a work capability test. Can't think someone approaching 60 receiving chemo or RT is going to have the stamina to work. Maybe in your 50s.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2018 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 23:37
Thank you for your reply, I’ll have to double check, I remember the onchologist saying he has a rare cancer and that it can not be cured though, hopefully controlled. I think that’s the case for a lot of types of cancer though unfortunately.

I’ll have a look through all info, thank you

User
Posted 15 Apr 2018 at 23:41
Thank you for your reply, lots I can certainly look at and research, thank you!

He’s only 55 and is hoping he his able to continue work, though his oncologist is not happy for him to. He’s always been an active, fit and strong man so he is worried about his finances and his quality of life.

I’ll pass over a the information you’ve provided.

I wish you well in your journey and pray your next set of waiting results are positive

User
Posted 16 Apr 2018 at 00:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Organised ESA for my next door neighbour, he was put in a support group, not even given a work capability test. Can't think someone approaching 60 receiving chemo or RT is going to the stamina to work. Maybe in your 50s.

That's good to know - there haven't been many success stories ✔

User
Posted 16 Apr 2018 at 18:27
If there is a Macmillan centre at your dads hospital then they usually have a contact from citizens advice bureau that could give your dad some guidance as to how and when he should apply for financial support. Plus Macmillan wil come to your dad’s house and also sort out any specific needs to help him. They are wonderful people and love helping so he will feel very comfortable with them. Or, if there is no Macmillan centre at your dad’s hospital then the website will be a font of resources and support.

Good luck