I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

calcium good or bad

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 09:24

hi,been reading about calcium being not good for high risk prostate cancer,i have stopped my 5000iu of vit d3 which i have been taking for years on my doctors advice,anyone have any thoughts on this.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 12:08
Hi Radar, I still intend to take Vitamin D3 from October to March but not the brighter, higher UV months as I think I will produce enough with a little exposure to the sun each day for a few minutes.

I was taking a calcium supplement and some selenium too but after advice from my medical team and those in the know here I no longer take these.

Why did the doctor advise you to stop? I’d be interested to know the reason(s).

Most people on the UK are deficient in vitamin D during the winter months......

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 13:39

Hi Radar,

Not sure if this helps you or not but here’s my situation regarding calcium/D3.

When my oncologist told me to stop the HT (Prostap) injections she wanted to check if I had any bone thinning as a result of the HT, that was in November 2015. I had a DEXA scan which showing slight thinning and the oncologist put me on Adcal-D3 tablets which I’ve been taking since December 2015. She arranged another scan for me which I had yesterday to see if I should continue taking the tablets or not.

Arthur

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 13:50

No Ido - radar has stopped taking it against his doctor's advice.

Radar, it is really important that you trust your doctor more than you trust the various articles you read. Don't stop taking things without talking to the doctor that prescribed them.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 14:52

Sorry Lyn, I misread that. Radar, you should take the vitamin D3 as advised and anything else your doctor tells you to take.

I will blame HT brain, I seem to be a bit mixed up just now.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 15:14

Hi Radar

Calcium has been linked to PCa by some studies. Some say the reason for dairy being associated with PCa could be Calcium.
VitD I thought is helpfull in prevention of PCa along with having many other health benefits. I cant find anything that says Vit D is in any way harmfull. Did your doc say why give it up?

This is interesting on VitD:

https://prostate.net/articles/vitamin-d-and-prostate-cancer

Cheers Bill

Edited by member 26 Apr 2018 at 15:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 16:37

lyn my doc told me to stop vit d3 because my levels are too high,because it is stored in the body .and i have read on another site hw that calcium is linked to more agressive pc but not organ confined,

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 17:25

What a good illustration of how to convey the opposite meaning to what you intend as a result of poor punctuation!

AC

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 17:41

ac whatdo you mean,also in the papers today tolterodine linked to an increased risk of dementia what next.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 18:14

My apologies Ido - it is sometimes hard to keep track of Radar's meds and the advice he gets from different doctors. I thought the doctor had told him to take it but looking back at previous threads, the worry was that he might be taking too much!

Radar, too much calcium is not the same as taking the right amount. You need some calcium for your bones to stay healthy but if you try to have a reasonable diet (which I know you tend to struggle with) then you shouldn't need supplements. The research about calcium was about people who take in a lot of it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 18:48

ok lyn thanks.