I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads Diagnosis & treatment

User
Posted 28 Apr 2018 at 14:03

Hi my Dad has just been diagnosed with Advanced PC with lymph node involvement. His PSA is 29. He has commenced on hormone tablets and in two weeks will begin monthly hormone injections. We have been referred to Oncology and waiting for an appointment to discuss the situation. We have been told he will probably be offered a course of chemotherapy. Just would like to hear from anyone with a similar story, having had similar treatment and how they are doing.Dad still coming to terms with diagnosis and is worried about the future, although we are all thinking positively. He is a fairly fit 77 year old. Thanks for listening :-)

User
Posted 29 Apr 2018 at 17:24

Hello kurjen and welcome to the site.

I am sure you'll get replies, it's just that the weekends tend to be a little quiet.

I can't, unfortunately, offer any advice as our treatment was different, but I just wanted to welcome you to the site ans to bump you up the list so your enquiry doesn't get lost

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 10:48
Hi. I'm not an expert,and it's a very complicated scenario, and its quite possible that no one on here has been faced with exactly the same as your dad.
I think the situation will only become clear after your discussions with the oncologist, who will give you a proper treatment plan, plus his reasons.
When I was at your stage, just.being aware that I had cancer, but not knowing if it was virulant and if it had spread, I was comforted by the knowledge that we could be treated by hormones which might well control the cancer wherever it had spread. Many men survive for years with it being controlled, yet not cured.
Try not to keep analysing, it'll drive you up the wall, and whatever you think, you will almost certainly be wrong.
Try to be positive and optimistic
User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 11:30
Hello Kurjen, welcome to this community. I am not an expert on this either, hopefully someone who has more experience will come along. It sounds like the oncology team are considering up front chemotherapy which I believe is a good thing in your dad’s scenario. It’s certainly worth discussing and considering if they offer it.
I presume he has had the lymph node involvement picked up with an MRI scan?
Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4