I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

38 Years Old, Low PSA, MRI Showing Shadow, Painful Groan & Back

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 21:04
Mid February I noticed blood in my semen, not loads, just enough to turn it a pinkish colour.

I went to the docs who told me, it’s nothing to worry about and should clear up on its own (which a couple of weeks later it did). We somehow got onto the subject of Prostate problems in the family and I had told him about my Dad who was in his early 50s when he was diagnosed with PC. He had treatment and was successful in getting into remission and is currently problem free at the age of 74.

Anyway, my doc told me that he thinks it would be wise to do my bloods, including my PSA. The following week my bloods came back. They were all clear and my PSA was 2.1. He said it was a little high for someone of my age (38), but only just and would like to refer me to the Urologist.

Mid March I was at the Urologist and he repeated my PSA and did an examination, which he said everything felt fine. He said he would like me to go for an MRI and then followed with a biopsy if my PSA had risen or the MRI should anything.

The following week I got my PSA which had gone to 2.6. I got my MRI appointment which I had mid April. Whilst waiting for the results of that I took it upon myself to go back to the docs to get my PSA done again, although it was only a few weeks since last done. My thinking was, if my PSA has gone back down and my MRI is clear, is it really worth having a biopsy. The results came back pretty quick and my PSA was now back at 2.1.

Last week the Urologist rang with my MRI results and told me it had picked up a shadow and he would like to get my biopsy organised (which will be done on Wednesday). He said it’s nothing that is too concerning and can be fairly common on MRI Scans.

Since my MRI (so for about 2 weeks) I have been suffering with groan, hip and back pain. It’s not severe, but is annoying. It started around my left testical and was very intermittent. It has gradually spread to the side of my groan area and back and is a lot more frequent. I’m really worried that it could be connected. I have seen the doc who has had a prod about, but cannot feel anything. Also dipped my pee, which is all clear.

I will obviously mention to the Urologist on Wednesday, but would love to if people have had similar symptoms.

Thanks,

Rich

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 17:34

That is good news in the bigger picture - some young black men are susceptible to a particularly aggressive prostate cancer.

Fingers crossed your results are all fine.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 07:12
Hi Lazarus,

Although I didn’t have to wait too long for my biopsy, any waiting is horrible. My original biopsy was not scheduled until next week, but my wife put me straight on the phone to nhs Waiting Lists for the hospital, to check for any cancellations. That was on Monday and they had one for the Wednesday.

So it might be worth giving them a call and checking that.

Fingers crossed for you.

Rich

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 07:25

Hi there I know it’s been few years since this post but would just like to ask how u got on in the end. My husband currently in same situation except they was going to do biopsy because of 2 shadows on mri then changed there minds because of his age being 35. They have just decided to repeat psa at the minute and his psa was 13 to start with. He has all the back groin pain like you had. Any help would be a brill thank you. 

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 02:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi, 

I will keep you posted on what they plan. Hope your hubby is OK?

Rich

Hi, any update?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 23:15

Most likely psychosomatic. Someone has questioned whether there is something wrong with your prostate so your brain is imagining all sorts of twangs.

Blood in your semen can be a sign of prostate infection which would not show on a urine dip. Pain in the testicles or groin is not usually associated with prostate cancer. The sooner the biopsy is done, the quicker you will know where you are.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 23:16

PS - are you Black African / Black Caribbean?

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 04:11
Thanks for the reply.

I am White, British.

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 17:34

That is good news in the bigger picture - some young black men are susceptible to a particularly aggressive prostate cancer.

Fingers crossed your results are all fine.

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 19:13
Rich

If you had a mpMRI scan, a multi-parametric one, it gives a PIRAD score. My score was 5, meaning that clinically significant cancer was likely to be found upon biopsy. You could check to see what sort of MRI scan you had and what your pirad score was.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 21:04
Cheers for that.

I will ask the Urologist tomorrow before my biopsy.

Rich

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 23:25
Rich

At my biopsy, my urologist told me he fully expected to find cancer in the samples taken based on what he had seen in the mpMRI scan.

According to one website I was looking at, PIRAD 3 is indeterminate, 4 probably malignant and 5 highly likely.

Walter

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 10:19
Cheers Walter,

Hopefully he will be able to give me some info. If not, I suppose it’s just a waiting game.

All the best.

Rich

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 10:33

Good luck with your biopsy today Rich hope you get the all clear.

I am having to wait to the 5th of June for mine and then another week to get for the results as a consequence of all this waiting I am now absolutely terrified of having the biopsy and then of hearing bad news afterwards.

The only thing is that apparently an mpMRI followed by a template biopsy is overall 93% accurate at finding the cancer if there is any there to find.

I have been told that my mpMRI scan was scored at 3, (indeterminate) and has revealed a lesion on my prostate gland so was therefore recommended to have further investigation via a biopsy.

like yours my PSA level went down from it's initial high of 6.5 to 4.5 but seeing as I am only 52 even at it's lower level it is still a bit too high for someone my age.

Some people have said on here that it is the not knowing and waiting in the dark that is the hardest thing to cope with and I would agree with this based on my own experience from when the GP surgery first phoned me to tell me I needed to see a doctor within a week to when I get the results of the biopsy on June 12 it will be nearly 4 months and during this time I have done nothing but worry.

It's such a shame I am having to wait so long for a biopsy but only one consultant at the hospital does the transperineal guided biopsy that I have been put in for.

Having this sword of damocles hanging over my head like this this has all had a massive impact on mental health with every ache or pain being interpreted of further evidence of cancer.

Edited by member 02 May 2018 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 07:12
Hi Lazarus,

Although I didn’t have to wait too long for my biopsy, any waiting is horrible. My original biopsy was not scheduled until next week, but my wife put me straight on the phone to nhs Waiting Lists for the hospital, to check for any cancellations. That was on Monday and they had one for the Wednesday.

So it might be worth giving them a call and checking that.

Fingers crossed for you.

Rich

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 07:25

Hi there I know it’s been few years since this post but would just like to ask how u got on in the end. My husband currently in same situation except they was going to do biopsy because of 2 shadows on mri then changed there minds because of his age being 35. They have just decided to repeat psa at the minute and his psa was 13 to start with. He has all the back groin pain like you had. Any help would be a brill thank you. 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 08:52
Rich hasn't been back to the site for four years, so I doubt you'll get an answer. It would be best to start your own discussion thread.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 25 Apr 2022 at 23:07

Hi,

It’s strange how you have commented on my post from 4 years ago, as I only came back on to the forum last week.

Since my biopsy in 2018, which was clear, everything for me has been fairly quite. I’ve had my 6 monthly check for my PSA, which has always been around 3. 

Over the last few months, I have been experiencing pelvis, groin & back ache again, which to be honest, I didn’t link to any prostate problems. I went to the Doc in March and he said it’s more than likely muscular and will refer me for an X-ray (still waiting). Thinking back, this time my pain is worse than in 2018 and does keep me awake at night.

Last week I went for my 6 month PSA check. Two days later the Doc called and said he is referring me back to urology as my PSA is 9.2. I’m a bit nervous, as you can imagine. I will hopefully get to see the consultant in the next week or so and start to get some answers. 

Rich

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 02:22

Hi, 

Rich

Hi, any update?

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 09:16

PS - are you Black African / Black Caribbean?

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 14:27

Hey. Very interested to hear what happened. 

wishing you well. 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 12:35

This is a rather late addition but assuming nothing else has been found your pains may relate to chronic pelvic pain syndrome which is a condition doctors in the UK hardly ever discuss. I'm afraid there is general ignorance about this condition even among medical professionals which can cause enormous distress but it is not malignant and can be treated with other therapies.