I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Unexplained Rapid Haemoglobin Decline

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 15:38

Hi Guys and Goddesseshttps://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

I am totally baffled as to why my always steady haemoglobin level plumetted from 130 to 70 within weeks.

If you click on my profile, you'll see I posted an update which includes my recent urgent hospital vist for a blood transfusion.

I know I'm over 13yrs into the PCa fight now, but I felt exceptionally well just a month ago, back on Zoladex, with a good PSA level.

This episode of feeling desperately ill has shocked me to the core. 

I'll admit it scared me.

Take a look and see what you think. I'm confident that some guys here may have been through a similar experience.

Any info or advice would be hugely appreciateted.

Despite  feverish research on my part, I have to say 'I haven't a clue!'.

You know me, I detest being in the dark or there being any 'grey' areas. 

I've always wanted thing in plain black white.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 10:15

Dear friends, many thanks for your quick replies and good wishes.
I'm waiting for a call from my oncologist's secretary this morning.
With luck I'll be added to the clinic list this afternoon.

Ian Pedley (my onco at Newcastle Freeman Hospital) has looked after me brilliantly for 13yrs.
He's the man I need to see a.s.a.p.

Lyn, those were very pertinent questions.
I really was 100% fit before the new meds.The tests I had done were the full bloodwork,U's & E's etc, a chest X-ray, heart trace and a physical examination.
I know Hb was a low 80 at 1.30pm last Tuesday, and was 71 when tested in A & E at 8.30pm the same day.

I have no idea what it is now after the transusion and will phone my GP to ask when I need re-testing.

And the question about whether I was eating OK during the first three months of this year is spot on.
During the severe depression I had no appetite, and quite honestly, my wife Lynn had to practically force feed me!

I did lose 10lbs, and I'm back at my fighting fit weight of 10st 7lbs.
However, full blood tests prior to my return to Zoladex on March 28th showed excellent results. Hb was 131, and it was always in that area.

On hearing I'd lost weight, the A & E doctor immediately leapt to the conclusion it might be bowel cancer or an ulcer.
I did try to explain anout the weight loss and previous good blood results...but he wouldn't listen. Just wasn't interested in any other explanation such as the new meds I'd had to stop, or any possibility of cancer activity in my lymphatic system.

Predictably, the next step for him was to arrange a colonoscopy and endoscopy.
Because of previous bad tretament at this local hospital, I will do nothing till I see my oncologist.

If such procedures are needed, in his opinion, I'd rather they be carried out at my main cancer hospital.
Also, Newcastle now has a brand new CT scanner which captures amazingly detailed images, and I'm keen to have that done.

GreatOakTree (I wish I knew your first name!), your dad Frank is having a terrible time of it. It makes my problem look so small in comparison.
I am so sorry, and shocked to read of his ordeal, 18yrs after Brachytherapy.
I have never heard of this happening so many years after a very successful treatment with Brachy.

And yes, If any light is shone on my Hb puzzle today or in the next week, I will certainly post the details.

Lyn, I really do prefer everything in Black & White. Just as well I do, innit? I can see Sunderland's derby matches being against South Shields in a few years time.

Here's a thought, perhaps the shame of seeing unrelenting failure for the last few years at The Stadium Of Light has made 1000s of North East guys ill.

I hope the new owner changes the name of the stadium. It's too easy for Newcastle fans to alter the current name to one which is probably very appropriate.

Once again, thanks my friends,

Let's all stay strong and positive (and stubborn.........and defiant!)

George

Edited by member 08 May 2018 at 10:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 18:02

Thank you Janet

Haemoglobin has reached 101 post transfusion.
It was just 71 before I was given blood.

To be re-tested in 2 weeks.

Still 30 short of my normal figure, but I've been told many times by my oncologist that as long as it's no lower than 100 he's happy, so I'm still keeping fingers crossed too..

George, x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2018 at 16:27

HI GUYS AND GODDESSES!

It's been a LONG time since I posted. It's all a bit of a blur, but I've just updated my profile, and you can see the full story.

Anyway.....Good news. My engine is ticking over again. Soon it will move from idling to gently accelerating.

After five months of very worrying (and even scary...a first for me!) ill health, I suddenly realised on Thursay night that I'd had a good day. Friday and Saturday were OK too, as is today. I'm not breathless and suffering dizzy spells all day anymore, just small episodes.

It's miraculous, and I’ve had absolutely no treatment.

I did see the consultant cardiologist (at last), on Fri 14th Sept. That was a full three months since the heart trouble was spotted on two scans. And the doctor was one of the good guys, I'm pleased to say.

He wasn’t keen to do any radical intervention, as there had been an improvement shown on my last echo cardiogram. And, believe it or not, he took me along (mid appointment) to have a third echo scan, and watched as the physiologist did the scanning.

When we went back into his office, he told me the fluid level had lowered again, and there was a good chance it would go away naturally. I'll be scanned again in a few months time ahead of seeing him next.

It seems all this has been caused by a severe chest infection back in April.

It hadn't completely cleared, and caused a gradual build up of fluid around the heart, to the point when I started feeling so weak.

Even more good news, he told me that my haemoglobin had finally risen to a normal level after plummeting from 130 to 70, and the blood transfusion that followed on 1st May.

It's taken a long time, but the doctor told me it was up to 124. I was, in football parlance,’ over the moon’.

Hey, speaking of football, perhaps it was Sunderland’s rapid drop down the divisions that set all this off.

Complete rest, no exertion at all and trying to keep stress and worry at bay have been the key to getting better.

i HATE to say this, but we have to remember we aren't young and fully fit these days. :cry: Trouble is, nobody can convince us of that. In our minds we are 19 (well I am!) and all too often we think we're supermen, We've been kidding ourselves.

I swear my recovery is down to the complete easing up on everything. No dashing here there and everywhere. Whenever I did try to over-exert myself, I paid the price for it.

Well, I'll finish now, with another motoring pun. I'm still here with engine idling, and feel like a learner driver, nervous and shaky about putting the accelerator down, BUT it will get pressed to the floor in the very near future!

I promise to be sensible. No more dashing about till I'm truly fit again.

Can't type quickly yet though (a bit dozy). I hear you all say "Nothing new there then"! :lol:

Stay well my friends, and remember, these glitches are sent to try us. Just get mad as hell and then plan your battle.

George

Edited by member 23 Sep 2018 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 21:39

Hi George

Sorry to read of your recent troubles, but knowing you, you’ll over come them pretty quickly.

Hang on in there,

Stu

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:01
Honestly, don’t know George

But hoping the doctors can find a reason quickly

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:45
Sorry to read about your haemoglobin results George. The symptoms sound scary.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:52

You don't like black & white at all, unless you are changing allegiance to a proper team at last!

I hope that you are correct in thinking that the two meds have not combined well. What tests did they do and when do you get the results? Were you still eating properly while you were depressed?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 05:32

My dad has had the same issue.  He is hospitalized at the moment.  I would like to know what you find out. He has had a transfusion as well.  So far, so good, but we are hoping that it will not repeat again.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 06:33

Crikey George,

Hope you find out soon 

I have no idea what it could be 

Regards Barry

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 07:58
Sorry to hear this update George,

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 19:04

Hi George
Glad things are on the move

Barry

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 09:08
Fingers crossed for you, George, take care, Janet, x
User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:11

Things are a lot better.

I've gone a week with no bad episodes of fighting for breath. It seems no coincidence that the improvement started when I decided to cut Atorvastatin back to 10mg.

Had a good chat with my Oncologist on Tues 15th May, and he certainly wasn't happy that a vascular surgery registrar had increased my statin to 40mg, even thought I'd done so well on just 10mg for 6 years. My femoral artery trouble had really settled down.

I'll be having a scan by that shiny new state of the art CT Force machine soon, BUT.......my onco does say I really do need to have the 2 procedures I was trying like crazy to avoid,

Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. And do you know what these jovial consultants call that? I'm to be 'Topped and Tailed'.
Laughing? I can't start!

Yep, I am not amused, ; )

Next step is re-testing of bloods this coming Tuesday. If by some miracle haemoglobin has fought its way back to 130, It will feel like a lottery win!

Many thanks for all you messages and emails. Your support has meant a lot at a time I really was shocked and worried.

You're all stars!

Hoping to see loads of you on June 23rd at The Mill On The Soar meet-up.

Stay well my friends,

George

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:43

Topped & Tailed, never heard that one before, let’s hope the two scopes don’t meet.

Good luck for Tuesday, or which ever day it is that you get your results.

Stu

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:59

Sorry you have had this set back George and hope you continue to improve. Look forward to seeing you on 23rd June.

Barry
User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 21:21
Thinking of you George,

Keep well,

Arthur

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 22:08
George

Sounds like your guy has a plan and is being proactive.

""Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. And do you know what these jovial consultants call that? I'm to be 'Topped and Tailed'.

Laughing? I can't start!""

Have you looked at the definitions.

Hope all goes well and take care.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 22:31

I was topped and tailed recently - the worst bit was drinking the foul stuff - after that it was a breeze x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 07:47

I was also topped and tailed about 18 months ago. Like Lyn says the 24 hour flush out is the worst part, that and the preperation diet. I opted to have sedation but it didnt work and I watched it all on a tv screen. If I had it again I wouldnt bother with sedation as its a breeze and actually interesting to watch if your up for it.

Good luck with the results.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 09:31
So good to hear you are feeling good again, George, and fingers crossed for tomorrow’s results.

Topping and tailing sounds unpleasant but if your main man wants it done, best get on with it. Hoping it will be over and done with soon.

Looking forward to seeing you at ‘The Mill’.

Take care, Janet, xx

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 11:43

In my case they spayed some anaesthetic in first. Then the cosultant said try to swallow. You cant actually swallow but the action of trying opens up your throat. As I did that he inserted the endoscope. I remember having to concentrate on relaxing and then saying "hell was that it" it was so quick. I have a very strong\sensitive gag reflex and it really was still OK. Its hard to explain but I didnt actually get that reflex, maybe because something is actually in your throat rather than approaching it like you describe with your fingers in you mouth.

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 13:28
I have had an endoscopy (top) once and two colonoscopies with a further one to come.

I had the anaesthetic spray to the back of my throat for the endoscopy and as Bill has said this allows you to “swallow” the probe without too much fuss. In reality they had the endoscope down my throat so quickly I did don’t have time to react!

I found the turning of the endoscope in my tummy really weird and a bit uncomfortable but doable.

If I had it again I personally would opt for sedation, max dose please!

I had sedation for both colonoscopies, first time it meant I was really relaxed and hardly aware of what was happening.

I had my second colonoscopy four months after surgery and wasn’t sedated enough even to the point the nurse in the ward told me I seemed very awake for someone who has just been sedated.

The staff are wonderful and whilst it is not an enjoyable experience it passes relatively quickly and you get on with your life!

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 16:05

Thanks Ian,

Man, you have had a lot of 'oscopies' in a short time.

Funnily enough, I had been thinking about getting a sedative for the endoscopy. Now you've convinced me.

And yes, I'd say the same ....'Max dose please!'

Thanks for that Ian.

George

Edited by member 12 Jun 2018 at 15:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 19:31

Hi George ,

I had one about six years ago, 

No sedation as I was on my own , 

They were really very good ,nurse told my just to do as I was asked 

The secret seemed to be breathing deep that keeps everything open.

Good luck

Barry

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 19:50

Hi George

Had one last year with just throat spray. No prob. As Barry said really. For me just a bit boring so looked at screen a few times - interesting.

Good luck and keep winning.

Ray

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 18:54
Hiya Julie,

GREAT to hear from you!

I think of you often too, and I'm sure all your old friends here do the same.

Keep that terrific sense of humour (the times you've made me splutter out a mouthful of tea......countless!!).

Sending you a huge 'Geordie Hug'.

George

x

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 00:54
Well what great news George and as just one area of stress relief, I think your handing over arrangements for the Mill meet to PCUK was a sensible one.

Looking forward to seeing a rejuvenated George at the meet next year. Meanwhile, carry on doing things the same way which have worked so well

Barry
User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 03:30

What fab news - great to read

Clare

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 08:03

Good to see you back, George, you’ve certainly been worrying us.

Time to put your renewed energies into remembering not to dash around so much and enjoy life again, you’ve had a tough few months.

Take care, Janet, x 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 11:51
So Good to be back with you all, and thank you Barry, Janet and Stu.

Stu? Yes, I think you ARE being messed about.

I've just read your updates and I feel for you my 'not so old' mate.

Time to get a tad stroppy, and by that I mean being ever so polite but absolutely firm with the medics.

Situations like this happen so often too.

Being left in limbo for three months is unbearable. It's just not right.

Don't they realise the stress they put us through?

I couldn't get any information on the results of my two echocardiagrams done in July until I had a third one on 14th September.

As hard as I tried I could find out nothing till that day (when I finally met the cardiologist) after so long being worried sick about my symptoms.

I can understand your total frustrtation.You have lymph nodes to be dealt with and for God's sake shouldn't speedy treatment be a glaringly urgent action plan?

Hoping to hear you're brought out of the dark a,s,a,p.and looking forward to seeing an upbeat update from you soon.

Stay stubborn and defiant Stu, but keep smiling (even if through gritted teeth!).

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 15:13
Thanks George,

They claim that the lymph node trouble in my neck is very unusual, and they are not convinced it’s to do with my Pca. Up until now I’ve had nothing but praise for the team that is looking after me. Things have always happened so fast. Hopefully the Pet Scan I’ve got coming up on Thursday will sort things out, an FDG scan is a first for me.

However I’m convinced that they will finish up zapping the darn thing, and they were at this point nearly 3 months ago. I’d even had an appointment all set to make a frame work so that I couldn’t move my head whilst in th RT scanner, which they canceled in lue of the biopsy.

Every change of idea just keeps adding more and more weeks.

Stu

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 16:08
George

The man is back the PCa world is brighter. As I'm now 14 yrs past diagnosis you must be 13 yrs?

Keep going, keep as well as you can

Ray

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 16:51
George, absolutely delighted at your news. I look forward to seeing the whole man next June.

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 21:39

Hi George

Sorry to read of your recent troubles, but knowing you, you’ll over come them pretty quickly.

Hang on in there,

Stu

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:01
Honestly, don’t know George

But hoping the doctors can find a reason quickly

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:45
Sorry to read about your haemoglobin results George. The symptoms sound scary.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 22:52

You don't like black & white at all, unless you are changing allegiance to a proper team at last!

I hope that you are correct in thinking that the two meds have not combined well. What tests did they do and when do you get the results? Were you still eating properly while you were depressed?

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 05:32

My dad has had the same issue.  He is hospitalized at the moment.  I would like to know what you find out. He has had a transfusion as well.  So far, so good, but we are hoping that it will not repeat again.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 06:33

Crikey George,

Hope you find out soon 

I have no idea what it could be 

Regards Barry

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 07:58
Sorry to hear this update George,

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 10:15

Dear friends, many thanks for your quick replies and good wishes.
I'm waiting for a call from my oncologist's secretary this morning.
With luck I'll be added to the clinic list this afternoon.

Ian Pedley (my onco at Newcastle Freeman Hospital) has looked after me brilliantly for 13yrs.
He's the man I need to see a.s.a.p.

Lyn, those were very pertinent questions.
I really was 100% fit before the new meds.The tests I had done were the full bloodwork,U's & E's etc, a chest X-ray, heart trace and a physical examination.
I know Hb was a low 80 at 1.30pm last Tuesday, and was 71 when tested in A & E at 8.30pm the same day.

I have no idea what it is now after the transusion and will phone my GP to ask when I need re-testing.

And the question about whether I was eating OK during the first three months of this year is spot on.
During the severe depression I had no appetite, and quite honestly, my wife Lynn had to practically force feed me!

I did lose 10lbs, and I'm back at my fighting fit weight of 10st 7lbs.
However, full blood tests prior to my return to Zoladex on March 28th showed excellent results. Hb was 131, and it was always in that area.

On hearing I'd lost weight, the A & E doctor immediately leapt to the conclusion it might be bowel cancer or an ulcer.
I did try to explain anout the weight loss and previous good blood results...but he wouldn't listen. Just wasn't interested in any other explanation such as the new meds I'd had to stop, or any possibility of cancer activity in my lymphatic system.

Predictably, the next step for him was to arrange a colonoscopy and endoscopy.
Because of previous bad tretament at this local hospital, I will do nothing till I see my oncologist.

If such procedures are needed, in his opinion, I'd rather they be carried out at my main cancer hospital.
Also, Newcastle now has a brand new CT scanner which captures amazingly detailed images, and I'm keen to have that done.

GreatOakTree (I wish I knew your first name!), your dad Frank is having a terrible time of it. It makes my problem look so small in comparison.
I am so sorry, and shocked to read of his ordeal, 18yrs after Brachytherapy.
I have never heard of this happening so many years after a very successful treatment with Brachy.

And yes, If any light is shone on my Hb puzzle today or in the next week, I will certainly post the details.

Lyn, I really do prefer everything in Black & White. Just as well I do, innit? I can see Sunderland's derby matches being against South Shields in a few years time.

Here's a thought, perhaps the shame of seeing unrelenting failure for the last few years at The Stadium Of Light has made 1000s of North East guys ill.

I hope the new owner changes the name of the stadium. It's too easy for Newcastle fans to alter the current name to one which is probably very appropriate.

Once again, thanks my friends,

Let's all stay strong and positive (and stubborn.........and defiant!)

George

Edited by member 08 May 2018 at 10:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 17:38

Well, I didn't get the apppointment i wanted with my oncologist today, but he has put me top of the list for next Tuesday.
I'm OK with that, he's such a busy guy, and his secretary explained the situation well.

He's seen my results from last week, and got my GP to supply me with another blood request form.
All done and dusted with phlebotomy by 4pm, but I'll be as 'sick as a parrot' if I get another urgent phone call when the result comes back.

Fingers crossed it will just be a case of ringing my GP practice to get the figures tomorrow, so hoping for the best, yet half expecting another unit of blood, but at least those episodes of fighting for breath have decreased to about twice a day now.

Things aren't nearly as bad as this time last week. : )

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 19:04

Hi George
Glad things are on the move

Barry

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 09:08
Fingers crossed for you, George, take care, Janet, x
User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 18:02

Thank you Janet

Haemoglobin has reached 101 post transfusion.
It was just 71 before I was given blood.

To be re-tested in 2 weeks.

Still 30 short of my normal figure, but I've been told many times by my oncologist that as long as it's no lower than 100 he's happy, so I'm still keeping fingers crossed too..

George, x

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:11

Things are a lot better.

I've gone a week with no bad episodes of fighting for breath. It seems no coincidence that the improvement started when I decided to cut Atorvastatin back to 10mg.

Had a good chat with my Oncologist on Tues 15th May, and he certainly wasn't happy that a vascular surgery registrar had increased my statin to 40mg, even thought I'd done so well on just 10mg for 6 years. My femoral artery trouble had really settled down.

I'll be having a scan by that shiny new state of the art CT Force machine soon, BUT.......my onco does say I really do need to have the 2 procedures I was trying like crazy to avoid,

Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. And do you know what these jovial consultants call that? I'm to be 'Topped and Tailed'.
Laughing? I can't start!

Yep, I am not amused, ; )

Next step is re-testing of bloods this coming Tuesday. If by some miracle haemoglobin has fought its way back to 130, It will feel like a lottery win!

Many thanks for all you messages and emails. Your support has meant a lot at a time I really was shocked and worried.

You're all stars!

Hoping to see loads of you on June 23rd at The Mill On The Soar meet-up.

Stay well my friends,

George

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:43

Topped & Tailed, never heard that one before, let’s hope the two scopes don’t meet.

Good luck for Tuesday, or which ever day it is that you get your results.

Stu

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 20:59

Sorry you have had this set back George and hope you continue to improve. Look forward to seeing you on 23rd June.

Barry
User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 21:21
Thinking of you George,

Keep well,

Arthur

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 22:08
George

Sounds like your guy has a plan and is being proactive.

""Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. And do you know what these jovial consultants call that? I'm to be 'Topped and Tailed'.

Laughing? I can't start!""

Have you looked at the definitions.

Hope all goes well and take care.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 22:31

I was topped and tailed recently - the worst bit was drinking the foul stuff - after that it was a breeze x

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 07:47

I was also topped and tailed about 18 months ago. Like Lyn says the 24 hour flush out is the worst part, that and the preperation diet. I opted to have sedation but it didnt work and I watched it all on a tv screen. If I had it again I wouldnt bother with sedation as its a breeze and actually interesting to watch if your up for it.

Good luck with the results.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 09:31
So good to hear you are feeling good again, George, and fingers crossed for tomorrow’s results.

Topping and tailing sounds unpleasant but if your main man wants it done, best get on with it. Hoping it will be over and done with soon.

Looking forward to seeing you at ‘The Mill’.

Take care, Janet, xx

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 11:19

Thank you all!

Lyn and Bill, I'm pleased to find someone who has had those procedures done recently.

It's nine years since I had a colonoscopy, and maybe things have improved a little in that time.

That procedure was painless, thanks to a sedative via canula in the back of my hand.
And yes, I watched the 'interesting journey' on the screen beside me. Fascinating!

However, the preparations in the two days beforehand were a nightmare. I still shudder about my 'Niagra Falls' incident on getiing out of bed on the morning of the appointment. I then had just an hour to run a bath, get ready and get to hospital on time.
I think I'll make sure this next one is an afternoon appointment,

That scan was OK, by the way, just a couple of benign cysts and some radiation damage were seen.

Frankly, it's the endoscopy that scares the hell out of me. How on earth can anyone have that done without sedation or a spray? They tell you to swallow, but surely that's a physical impossibility with a tube in your mouth.

Just try putting your knuckles between your top and bottom teeth and attempt to swallow.
Can't be done, I tell ya!

What's the secret? Total sedation?

'Curious George'

Edited by member 21 May 2018 at 11:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 11:43

In my case they spayed some anaesthetic in first. Then the cosultant said try to swallow. You cant actually swallow but the action of trying opens up your throat. As I did that he inserted the endoscope. I remember having to concentrate on relaxing and then saying "hell was that it" it was so quick. I have a very strong\sensitive gag reflex and it really was still OK. Its hard to explain but I didnt actually get that reflex, maybe because something is actually in your throat rather than approaching it like you describe with your fingers in you mouth.

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 12:20

Thanks a million Bill. That's really helped.

I share that "very strong\sensitive gag reflex" and it was that which was worrying me.

I'm now more optimistic, and I'm sure I can stand a bit of pain. After all, Sunderland AFC have caused me a ton of pain these past few years!

Once again, THANK YOU.

George

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 13:28
I have had an endoscopy (top) once and two colonoscopies with a further one to come.

I had the anaesthetic spray to the back of my throat for the endoscopy and as Bill has said this allows you to “swallow” the probe without too much fuss. In reality they had the endoscope down my throat so quickly I did don’t have time to react!

I found the turning of the endoscope in my tummy really weird and a bit uncomfortable but doable.

If I had it again I personally would opt for sedation, max dose please!

I had sedation for both colonoscopies, first time it meant I was really relaxed and hardly aware of what was happening.

I had my second colonoscopy four months after surgery and wasn’t sedated enough even to the point the nurse in the ward told me I seemed very awake for someone who has just been sedated.

The staff are wonderful and whilst it is not an enjoyable experience it passes relatively quickly and you get on with your life!

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 16:05

Thanks Ian,

Man, you have had a lot of 'oscopies' in a short time.

Funnily enough, I had been thinking about getting a sedative for the endoscopy. Now you've convinced me.

And yes, I'd say the same ....'Max dose please!'

Thanks for that Ian.

George

Edited by member 12 Jun 2018 at 15:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 19:31

Hi George ,

I had one about six years ago, 

No sedation as I was on my own , 

They were really very good ,nurse told my just to do as I was asked 

The secret seemed to be breathing deep that keeps everything open.

Good luck

Barry

User
Posted 21 May 2018 at 19:50

Hi George

Had one last year with just throat spray. No prob. As Barry said really. For me just a bit boring so looked at screen a few times - interesting.

Good luck and keep winning.

Ray

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 15:44
Hi Guys (and Goddesses)

It's now 12th June, and this is the calm before a load of appointments.

I've had haemoglobin tested twice since the last one 9th May, and it's steady but still on the low side.

Two weeks ago it was 100, and this week it's 98.

My GP says it can take 3 months for the Hb to build up to a decent level again. I do hope it gets back to the normal 130.

I'm having a CT scan next Tuesday and then seeing a gastroenterologist three days later to discuss whether I must have an endoscopy and /or colonoscopy.

I'll push for just the latter because it dawned on me that radiation damage was spotted on the last one in 2009.

I've never met this consultant before, but I see he's called Krishna.

Man, it will be agony trying to resist greeting him with "Good Morning Harry".

SEE YOU AT THE MILL 22nd/23rd JUNE.

Stay well my friends,

George

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 18:42

Being topped and tailed by Krishna George now that could be interesting 😁

Thinking of you guys often and sending love .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 18:54
Hiya Julie,

GREAT to hear from you!

I think of you often too, and I'm sure all your old friends here do the same.

Keep that terrific sense of humour (the times you've made me splutter out a mouthful of tea......countless!!).

Sending you a huge 'Geordie Hug'.

George

x

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 21:27

Thank you for the Gordie hug G it’s appreciated so straight back at you . 😁

BFN

Julie x

ps keep that Tea in a safe spot , I might just be back on form .🤪

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Sep 2018 at 16:27

HI GUYS AND GODDESSES!

It's been a LONG time since I posted. It's all a bit of a blur, but I've just updated my profile, and you can see the full story.

Anyway.....Good news. My engine is ticking over again. Soon it will move from idling to gently accelerating.

After five months of very worrying (and even scary...a first for me!) ill health, I suddenly realised on Thursay night that I'd had a good day. Friday and Saturday were OK too, as is today. I'm not breathless and suffering dizzy spells all day anymore, just small episodes.

It's miraculous, and I’ve had absolutely no treatment.

I did see the consultant cardiologist (at last), on Fri 14th Sept. That was a full three months since the heart trouble was spotted on two scans. And the doctor was one of the good guys, I'm pleased to say.

He wasn’t keen to do any radical intervention, as there had been an improvement shown on my last echo cardiogram. And, believe it or not, he took me along (mid appointment) to have a third echo scan, and watched as the physiologist did the scanning.

When we went back into his office, he told me the fluid level had lowered again, and there was a good chance it would go away naturally. I'll be scanned again in a few months time ahead of seeing him next.

It seems all this has been caused by a severe chest infection back in April.

It hadn't completely cleared, and caused a gradual build up of fluid around the heart, to the point when I started feeling so weak.

Even more good news, he told me that my haemoglobin had finally risen to a normal level after plummeting from 130 to 70, and the blood transfusion that followed on 1st May.

It's taken a long time, but the doctor told me it was up to 124. I was, in football parlance,’ over the moon’.

Hey, speaking of football, perhaps it was Sunderland’s rapid drop down the divisions that set all this off.

Complete rest, no exertion at all and trying to keep stress and worry at bay have been the key to getting better.

i HATE to say this, but we have to remember we aren't young and fully fit these days. :cry: Trouble is, nobody can convince us of that. In our minds we are 19 (well I am!) and all too often we think we're supermen, We've been kidding ourselves.

I swear my recovery is down to the complete easing up on everything. No dashing here there and everywhere. Whenever I did try to over-exert myself, I paid the price for it.

Well, I'll finish now, with another motoring pun. I'm still here with engine idling, and feel like a learner driver, nervous and shaky about putting the accelerator down, BUT it will get pressed to the floor in the very near future!

I promise to be sensible. No more dashing about till I'm truly fit again.

Can't type quickly yet though (a bit dozy). I hear you all say "Nothing new there then"! :lol:

Stay well my friends, and remember, these glitches are sent to try us. Just get mad as hell and then plan your battle.

George

Edited by member 23 Sep 2018 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 00:54
Well what great news George and as just one area of stress relief, I think your handing over arrangements for the Mill meet to PCUK was a sensible one.

Looking forward to seeing a rejuvenated George at the meet next year. Meanwhile, carry on doing things the same way which have worked so well

Barry
User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 03:30

What fab news - great to read

Clare

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 08:03

Good to see you back, George, you’ve certainly been worrying us.

Time to put your renewed energies into remembering not to dash around so much and enjoy life again, you’ve had a tough few months.

Take care, Janet, x 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 11:13
Great news George, I’ve long been waiting to see that you are on the mend. Long may it continue.

Unfortunately I seem to be heading in the opposite direction.

Stu

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 11:51
So Good to be back with you all, and thank you Barry, Janet and Stu.

Stu? Yes, I think you ARE being messed about.

I've just read your updates and I feel for you my 'not so old' mate.

Time to get a tad stroppy, and by that I mean being ever so polite but absolutely firm with the medics.

Situations like this happen so often too.

Being left in limbo for three months is unbearable. It's just not right.

Don't they realise the stress they put us through?

I couldn't get any information on the results of my two echocardiagrams done in July until I had a third one on 14th September.

As hard as I tried I could find out nothing till that day (when I finally met the cardiologist) after so long being worried sick about my symptoms.

I can understand your total frustrtation.You have lymph nodes to be dealt with and for God's sake shouldn't speedy treatment be a glaringly urgent action plan?

Hoping to hear you're brought out of the dark a,s,a,p.and looking forward to seeing an upbeat update from you soon.

Stay stubborn and defiant Stu, but keep smiling (even if through gritted teeth!).

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 15:13
Thanks George,

They claim that the lymph node trouble in my neck is very unusual, and they are not convinced it’s to do with my Pca. Up until now I’ve had nothing but praise for the team that is looking after me. Things have always happened so fast. Hopefully the Pet Scan I’ve got coming up on Thursday will sort things out, an FDG scan is a first for me.

However I’m convinced that they will finish up zapping the darn thing, and they were at this point nearly 3 months ago. I’d even had an appointment all set to make a frame work so that I couldn’t move my head whilst in th RT scanner, which they canceled in lue of the biopsy.

Every change of idea just keeps adding more and more weeks.

Stu

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 16:08
George

The man is back the PCa world is brighter. As I'm now 14 yrs past diagnosis you must be 13 yrs?

Keep going, keep as well as you can

Ray

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 16:51
George, absolutely delighted at your news. I look forward to seeing the whole man next June.

AC

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 16:55
Hello Ray, you old campagner!

Funnily enough, today, 24th Sept marks thirteen and a half years since my diagnosis (2005,March 24th).

How the heck are we still here???

Let's keep on keeping on, right?

All the best,

George

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 18:26

Good to hear you’re up and running again.  It’s alright glitches trying us it’s just that I wish they wouldn’t so often!

Sunderland 4-1 winners on Saturday and 3rd in the league, that must help your recovery.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 12:21

Hi Auld Cod Codger! It was great to meet you and your wife at last at The Mill in June, after knowing you so long on the YANANOW site. 

The years fly past don't they?

Arthur, I am so pleased to be back. I've even cleared up the attachments files on B2PCa so you can post more great funnies. You wouldn't believe how many brilliant jokes have built up in my inbox. Derek and Janet in Oz are prolific posters. Australia seems a top place for humour.  I must catch up on the work.

Yes, Sunderland are now third (in League One Argghhhhh!) and had a good 4 -1 win on Saturday. It's hard to get too excited though, innit? 

Stay well my friends,

George