I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Running in the family

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 01:29

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 2010 at the age of 58. I was on the lookout for it as my father had died of it 20 some years before and I knew it ran in families. I had surgery at Addenbrooks and today my PSA is still undetectable. I have 2 brothers, Paul, 4 years younger than me and Andre, 8 years younger. When Paul reached 58, sure enough, there it was and he went through exactly what I had with an almost identical outcome. So now my brother Andre has reached that age and a few months ago his PSA doubled in less than a year, so we're almost certain of what's going to happen next. Andre has decided not to go to Addenbrooks like Paul and I but stay locally at his hospital in Ipswich. Is that a wise move? Has anyone any experience of Urology at Ipswich? Adenbrooks has a great international reputation for the treatment of Prostate Cancer and is one of the top players in the U.K., that's why I chose to go there, but I'm worried that Andre is putting convenience ahead of expertise, though I appreciate that it's his choice!

Many thanks

Daniel

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 21:05

Daniel

Just bumping you up the list, Lyn has some interesting facts on family and location or environment links to PCa.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 May 2018 at 00:32
Sorry Dan - Ipswich isn't an area I know.

There has been some really interesting research on environmental factors - you and your brothers presumably grew up in the same area, breathed the same air, ate the same type of food cooked in the same chip pan, played in the same street with radon underground, etc etc. You may also be carriers of one of the BRCA genes although I think you would have been unlikely to still be undetectable 8 years on - BRCA tends to be extremely persistent.

I hope he amazes you all by getting the all clear - or finds that Ipswich is the best hospital ever.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard