I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

bladder training help

User
Posted 04 Jun 2018 at 09:46

hi,i have just started bladder training as advised by gp, to see if i can come off tolterodine and tamsulosin later on,but i must say it is hard when i get the urge i hold on and it dissappears,but then it comes back with more urgency and im suppose to hold on for 5mns it is very hard without leaking and a bit painful in stomach,but i will try to carry on,but what can you do when out and about i dont think i will be able to hold on especially when the urgency comes the second time,anyone any thoughts on this,cheers.

User
Posted 04 Jun 2018 at 10:22

HI Radar

I don't think there is an easy answer but  I found that as long as I was kitted up with pads or a Conveen bag so that I knew I had a fall back, then I could gradually hold out longer. 

It can be painful at first but I set myself goals to achieve and if it meant sitting down for a while to cope with the discomfort then that was what I did. It took a while but I started from a better position than you.

You can only do your best and I wish you well with this new challenge but I can't think of an easy way to do it. 

Sorry if it's not much help to you but it did help me a lot.

Kevan 

User
Posted 04 Jun 2018 at 11:48
What Kevan says above worked for me.

Being prepared for an urgent need, if I was prolonging gaps between going, so the need to go did not become an accident, meant that that anxiety was removed.

Worth try, good luck with it.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 04 Jun 2018 at 12:09
Hi Radar

I also had\have urge and frequency issues. It sounds like your problem is worse than mine. I hold on longer at work and at home than if I am out and about. At home I found with will power and perserverance I could go much longer than I thought possible at first. Literally holding myself untill the last possible minute knowing that I could get to the loo quickly. I noticed improvement fairly quickly. Urge is still a slight issue, but my bladder capacity has improved a lot. I still go as a precaution if I know a toilet will not be availlable for any length of time.

Just as a warning, the worst occaission for me was on a flight. I planned to have a pee when we were near to landing just before the seat belt sign came on. I was hanging on thinking I had about 30 minutes to go, when to my horror we encounted turbulance and the sign came on early when my need was already becoming urgent. No amount of pleading with the airline staff was enough to convince her to allow me to go. I made it through, diving into the loo at the first opportunity but it really was close to being an embarrassing accident.

Good luck with your progress

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 16:24
thanks,just took my first urine measurement for my first bladder training week it was 175ml not good,normal volume between 400-600ml so its gonna be hard work.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 18:25

HI Radar

I think that bladder volume seems to depend on who you ask and whether you are talking every day normal, comfortable volume or going for a maximum world record.

Some experts will tell you that 150 ml is the point at which a desire to want to go is triggered while others will say it is higher. I am no expert but I think that 175 ml is a great start and gives you a datum point to work from so if you are able to gradually increase this then that's a positive move. There is a big difference between what the bladder could hold and what is comfortable to walk around with in normal life.

I am sure you will improve on the figure at which your brain triggers this urge but keep it realistic.

All the best

Kevan 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 18:46

How do you measure bladder volume?

ulsterman

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 19:48

Radar

What is the history of your water works problem ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 21:10
thanks,ulsterman just pee in a measuring jug,chris what do you mean history.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 22:11

Radar

What was your water works like pre diagnosis, what was it like post treatment ? what prompted the medication and have you had any investigations i.e. bladder function / bladder capacity/ bladder voiding and flow rate etc. If you measure the time it takes to urinate you can also get an average flow rate, mls divided by seconds.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 22:39
I think Radar is attending bladder retraining sessions provided by the NHS so perhaps best not to over-complicate or confuse matters? He has been on and off meds for years now, part of the problem being that his urologist and GP have given conflicting advice in the past and there have been occasions where he has gone against medical advice based on comments from members on here. Medical view seems to be clear that he doesn't have a mechanical problem.

Radar, stick with it - 175ml is not the greatest ever but nor is it the worst and over time, your brain will hopefully start to recognise the messages differently.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 09:00
lyn,thanks yeah dont want it to be complicated,the next one after 175ml was 245ml, sometimes you can hold on longer than others,doing this with gp and the training sheet he gave me,he reckons the tolterodine and tamsulosin that i am on will only work for maybe a few months,anyway just have to do the best i can.