Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Positive stories needed - advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 04 Jun 2018 at 20:51

Hello,

I wondered if anyone would please share their positive stories of living longterm after being diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer that has spread to the bones. 

My dad was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer (spread to his bones) in March 2012, more than six years ago.  His PSA was around 150.  Since then, he has been on hormone therapy and got the PSA down to under 1 (I think around 0.1-0.4 for the past six years).

Each time he goes for a check up he has come back with positive results - the hormone therapy has been working and allowing him to live a normal life.  It got to the point where he was only having check ups every year.  And the tome before last, the doc said, ”we have drugs that can keep you alive for years and years”.  Very very positive!

However, this last visit for a check up, his PSA had crept up to 1.7.  Still below average, but the doc said he wanted to be cautious and if it was still that level after 3 months, he recommended chemo or stronger HT.

This news has really worried me, so I’m looking for stories of people with advanced prostate cancer that have lived for many many years.  Please help as I’m so worried!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 18:25
Hello JessMM.

Just bumping you a bit

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 18:36
Which hormone treatment is he on at the moment?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard