Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Does PCa affect travel insurance?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2019 at 08:47
I started this thread, and I’m happy to report that I’m off on my long-awaited holiday to Egypt tomorrow, complete with travel insurance! I love travelling, but had to cancel all my plans last year after my cancer diagnosis, so I’m really looking forward to this.

Chris

User
Posted 14 Jan 2019 at 09:16

Enjoy your holiday and forget about us all until you return.

Regards

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2019 at 14:13

Enjoy a well deserved holiday.

Ido4

User
Posted 14 Jan 2019 at 17:29
I tried to send you this as a P.M. but this rubbish bulletin board wouldn’t let me, so here it is:

Hi Chris,

We just returned from Hurghada a few days ago and had a great time. Two tips:

If you intend to use the internet, take an unlocked phone with you and get a local SIM card, Vodafone or Etisalat. I bought a 20Gb 4G data package for 12 quid and it lasted a fortnight with heavy use. Our hotel wi-fi was rubbish, and very slow when everone else was on it. Calls in and out cost up to two quid a minute with UK sims!

Download the Uber app and use that if you need a taxi - we had Mr Ahmed and I would phone him and he would be there in minutes, and I thought we had a good deal (Theresa May style) with him, until I saw the Uber rates. No doubt my money has gone to a good home.

A third point - it's bloody cold at night as there's never any cloud cover for insulation, and it's windy, so take jumpers or jackets.

Your experience mirrors mine - we had to cancel two cruises last year to accomodate various medical and surgical appointments. We have a packed travel schedule this year,however😁.

Enjoy your hols.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 20:34

I am insured with Nationwide Flexplus & last year had a large claim as I  was required to start my prostate treatment

I phoned yesterday and asked for 2019 travel insurance abd  was informed that the previous claim would not preclude any further insurance and if i wanted to exclude PC the premium would be zero ( free travel insurance is part of thr account package) To include PC , for annual cover, would be an extra £115.90

User
Posted 23 Feb 2019 at 05:27

Hi just sorted my travel insurance out I have it with my bank account, I rang them up as you have to inform them of any changes in your medical history and the additional premium was 80 pounds but I declined to pay that as I do not see how I will have a issue with my radical prostatectomy when I am on holiday. so every thing else is covered but your not covered for any prostate related problems. hope this helps

eddy.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 12:34

As with the two previous posts, I am also with nationwide, and was offered cover for an extra £99, I also declined for the same reasons, no prostate so not an issue, anything else that might happen will be covered.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 13:29
When deciding to exclude PCa, have you factored in the simple things like if you were struck down by a really bad UTI on holiday the insurer would probably argue that you were more susceptible because of the previous prostate surgery and would decline to pay out your medical costs, even if you were hospitalised? Or if you had a DVT and surgery was reasonably recent, they would probably try to argue that the RP increased the risk of DVT. Insurers will go to great lengths not to pay.

We pay the extra premium even though John's RP was nearly 10 years ago and his RT was 7 years ago and he is effectively in remission. My brother drowned in Greece (so accident not health problem) and because of a bit of (unrelated) information not clearly stated, the insurer would not pay out. It cost us many thousands of £££s to get his body flown home - you have to pay for every single thing - death certificate, police report, post mortem, coroner's certificate, permission to fly, undertaker, casket, air-locked outer casket, legal independent witness when the casket is being closed, cargo ticket, unloading at this end.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 18:12
How sad, Matron Kierkegaard, to hear about your bro.

My mate went to his palatial Mallorca finca on holiday, and croaked there. He paid £59 on easyJet to get there, but it cost €€€€ to bring him home, air freight.

With insurance, there’s really no way to know if they will pay out or wriggle out!

I have had a third claim for iPad problems / losses and in the last year, and Aviva coughed up straight away, no quibbles.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2019 at 18:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I tried to send you this as a P.M. but this rubbish bulletin board wouldn’t let me, so here it is:

Hi Chris,

We just returned from Hurghada a few days ago and had a great time. Two tips:
If you intend to use the internet, take an unlocked phone with you and get a local SIM card, Vodafone or Etisalat. I bought a 20Gb 4G data package for 12 quid and it lasted a fortnight with heavy use. Our hotel wi-fi was rubbish, and very slow when everone else was on it. Calls in and out cost up to two quid a minute with UK sims!

Download the Uber app and use that if you need a taxi - we had Mr Ahmed and I would phone him and he would be there in minutes, and I thought we had a good deal (Theresa May style) with him, until I saw the Uber rates. No doubt my money has gone to a good home.

A third point - it's bloody cold at night as there's never any cloud cover for insulation, and it's windy, so take jumpers or jackets.

Your experience mirrors mine - we had to cancel two cruises last year to accomodate various medical and surgical appointments. We have a packed travel schedule this year,however😁.

Enjoy your hols.

Cheers, John.

Sorry,  John, I've only just noticed this. I had a wonderful holiday in Egypt, thanks. Took lots of photos (the main purpose of the trip for me (and got indescribably filthy crawling around inside tombs that nobody sensible would want to go to smile. Exactly what I love doing!

Thankfully I didn't need the travel insurance at all. I had one night with a mildly upset stomach, which is pretty good for two weeks in Egypt, but I'm an "old hand" at travel in that part of the world and know how to sort it out. I managed to surprise my guide by taking him to several places he hadn't been to in 30 years working as a guide!

All in all, a superb trip!

All the best,

Chris