Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Add your support to men in Wales - sign this petition

User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 16:16

Dear all

Half of men in Wales aren’t getting the latest scans for prostate cancer – help us change that.

You may have seen some media coverage yesterday about mpMRI before biopsy across the UK. In Wales the access to mpMRI before biopsy for men is pretty appalling with more than half of men in Wales being denied access. As these scans have been proven to radically boost detection of prostate cancer and cut unnecessary biopsies for men and while access for men across the rest of the UK is improving rapidly, men in Wales are missing out.

So we need your help! We have a petition running calling on the Welsh Assembly to make high quality mpMR before available through the NHS to all eligible men across Wales who have a suspicion of prostate cancer.

Please take two minutes to sign the petition.

Thank you
Leanne

Change Delivery Senior Officer
Prostate Cancer UK 

Edited by moderator 20 Jun 2018 at 16:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 17:05
Done but I would like to think PCUK will also campaign for it to be available in all English hospitals and that all hospitals that actually have the facility should be using it!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jun 2018 at 23:40

Signed

fingers crossed this becomes standard across all the UK. 

User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 00:25
signed it and shared it on facebook
User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 01:05
Petition signed.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 17:05
Done but I would like to think PCUK will also campaign for it to be available in all English hospitals and that all hospitals that actually have the facility should be using it!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 23:59

A few additional details are contained in this article in the Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5858611/Half-men-denied-life-saver-MRI-scan-prostate-cancer.html

I think they mean 'over' rather than 'under' here though. 'In all, only 57 per cent of NHS trusts were using the scans correctly, and these trusts covered only 51 per cent of UK men. Another 16 per cent of trusts were denying scans to men under 75 or in some cases the under-65s'.

Edited by member 21 Jun 2018 at 00:00  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 21 Jun 2018 at 11:37

Firstly, thanks for your support and for signing the petition - we really appreciate it! The reason we have a petition running in Wales is because our findings from our freedom of information (FoI) request showed only three out of seven Welsh Health Boards are providing mpMRI before biopsy. Out of those three, only two, Aneurin Bevan and Cwm Taf, are providing mpMRI to a high enough standard to safely rule men out of biopsy. This represents no improvement since the Boards last responded to an FOI on this in Autumn 2016.

We are working across all nations in different ways to influence for mpMRI before biopsy to be available to all eligible men. Our findings showed that the greatest increase was in England where the roll out of mpMRI before biopsy has been prioritised by health commissioners, so is becoming more available. If you would like any further information please email campaigns@prostatecanceruk.org

Leanne 
Prostate Cancer UK

Edited by member 21 Jun 2018 at 11:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jun 2018 at 23:40

Signed

fingers crossed this becomes standard across all the UK. 

User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 00:25
signed it and shared it on facebook
User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 01:05
Petition signed.
Barry