I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Oh Happy Day!

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 22:58

Never have I been so happy that my dad has been diagnosed with T3b Prostate cancer. Gleason 4+3, starting PSA 55, all 12 cores taken at biopsy are cancerous.

A bizarre opening statement perhaps, but let me explain....

4 weeks ago, the Urologist told my dad (whilst I was present) he had metastatic prostate cancer (1 met showing on pelvic bone) T3b N0 M1b. He very matter of factly explained this meant the cancer is incurable but they would try to manage it for as long as possible. He said the plan would be to start chemo shortly after dad's 1st meeting with the Oncologist, alongside lifetime HT (Degarelix to start with).

Fast forward to yesterday - during the 1st Oncology appointment, she said that there had been another MDT meeting to review dad's results (she had been away during the 1st meeting) and they now believe the suspicious dark spot showing on the pelvic bone is not evidence of metastatic spread but rather a "bone island." I literally burst into tears as I couldn't believe we were receiving such great news. She clarified that the cancer is still aggressive and has spread to the seminal vesicles but instead of chemo the plan is now for dad to undergo a TURP procedure to assist with the waterworks and then commence a 7.5 week course of radiotherapy (5 days per week) alongside his hormone therapy which will continue for a few years - his HT has been changed from monthly Degarelix injections to 3 monthly Zoladex injections. The Oncologist explained the treatment is now potentially curative!!! Of course, I'm not naive enough to think dad is out of the woods but I can't begin to tell you how yesterday was better than winning the lottery!! I still can't quite believe it. His PSA has also dropped from 55 to 11 so far.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 00:16

That's great news so pleased for you all. I remember warming or of our consultants meeting feeling like we'd win the lottery even tho OH isn't curable but controllable and treatable. His psa has gone from 26.3  to 8.2 then 0.5 . 

Stay positive and keep making memories life is so precious.

Take care

Kazzy

User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 09:20
What a turn around lisa.

I'd have burst into tears too!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 00:16

That's great news so pleased for you all. I remember warming or of our consultants meeting feeling like we'd win the lottery even tho OH isn't curable but controllable and treatable. His psa has gone from 26.3  to 8.2 then 0.5 . 

Stay positive and keep making memories life is so precious.

Take care

Kazzy

User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 09:20
What a turn around lisa.

I'd have burst into tears too!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 17:55
Thanks guys. This weekend has been a good weekend! :-) xx
User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 18:57

Excellent news! 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2018 at 23:23

Hi Lisa,  yes , that's great.  The difference between them offering curing treatment and not curing treatment is something I find hard to accept.   I can understand your feelings as my father was diagnosed with suspected cancer to be told much later it was compressed food in his intestine and something wrong with the X ray machine.  At the time I laughed with relief and dragged him out but later became sceptical of their ability, a feeling that's remained about that hospital although it's 30 years ago.