I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advance prostate cancer diet

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 07:44

Anyone pls tell what to eat and what not to eat in prostate cancer ? I want complete prostate cancer diet regards, Bose

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 11:29
Hi Bose, the general advice is to eat a normal healthy diet. There are no special diets known to be helpful. It is also advisable to drink lots of water to help with kidney function.

Has your father’s fever gone away? Several of us warned how serious this could be. We hope you got prompt medical attention for it.

Good luck!
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 15:05
Bose, there is plenty of choice available on painkillers. Your Dad needs to experiment, with his doctor's guidance, until he finds one with the least side effects. The weaknesss will pass but he needs to help himself with whatever exercise he can muster to build up his strength gradually. Unused muscles will wither and become weaker still. He must reverse that trend.

AC
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 19:08

I'm prescribed Fybogel to combat the compaction I experience, combined with lots of fluids.  Does make life a little more tolerable in that department.

As for a special diet, the Jane Plant diet was adopted by quite a few on this forum several years ago but for some reason it has fallen out of favour.  Most, including myself adopted some but not all of the changes she proposed and I have stuck with it for a decade now.

The first principle of the diet is to go dairy free, followed by cutting out red meats and avoiding processed foods as far as possible and finally, lots of fresh fruit and veg.  It can be very hard to change a diet if you're a lover of all that great English food that we all thrived on as youngsters and throughout our adult life and many will say that a change of diet will make no difference to outcomes but when I started my adapted Jane Plant diet 10 years ago, I reckoned it would do some good and have stuck with it.

Good luck and best wishes for an easier time ahead.

Roger
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 11:29
Hi Bose, the general advice is to eat a normal healthy diet. There are no special diets known to be helpful. It is also advisable to drink lots of water to help with kidney function.

Has your father’s fever gone away? Several of us warned how serious this could be. We hope you got prompt medical attention for it.

Good luck!
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 11:49
Dear Dark warrior, Thank you for ur prompt reply Now he is absolutely fine Regards,Bose
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 11:51
Dear Dark warrior can I ask you one question
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 14:31
Please do
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 15:32

Dear Dark warrior, As you know that My father is diagnosed with advance prostate cancer with spinal cord compression Before Radiation therapy he was suffered from lot of pain after radiation there is some relief in spine and Oncologist suggest him for 8 cycle of chemo and my father done with 4 chemo there is lot of relief in spine but pain shifted to his leg . My Father oncologist is inhuman in nature we thought for second opinion .My query is this I know cancer is incurable but it is treatable after treatments My Father regain his strength and back to normal life Before diagnosed my father psa is 641 after radiation it comes down to 151 after 4 th chemo and hormone therapy it comes down to 5 . By god grace everything is fine but there is pain in leg pls help. Can u share any personal stories advance prostate cancer with spine metastasis goes to remission for long period regards,Bose

Edited by member 09 Jul 2018 at 15:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 16:36
Getting his PSA down to 5 from over 600 is a good response. On the trials that used these treatments, median survival was 5 years. That is, 50% of patients lived more than 5 years. Treatments that are being trialled now should improve significantly on this. Typically a patient can benefit from hormone therapy for 1 to 2 years, sometimes more, then there are further treatments available such as enzalutamide and abiraterone. As far as the leg pain is concerned I think you need to ask your doctor or nurses, or cancer support people, what can be done about this, as it is hard for someone like me to advise. Good luck!
User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 16:50
Dear Dark warrior, Thank u so much you solved my query
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 05:33
Dear All, My Father is suffering from lot of weakness after chemo I don't know it's chemo side effect or zolodax but there is lot of weakness when he take painkillers All pain and feverish type of feeling is gone but painkillers have its own side effect any one who is suffering from same symptoms
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 15:05
Bose, there is plenty of choice available on painkillers. Your Dad needs to experiment, with his doctor's guidance, until he finds one with the least side effects. The weaknesss will pass but he needs to help himself with whatever exercise he can muster to build up his strength gradually. Unused muscles will wither and become weaker still. He must reverse that trend.

AC
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 15:50

Thanks for your reply

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 12:48

I have advance prostate cancer and have a lot of muscle aches/pains in hips and legs, which comes and goes. One day, I could walk a few miles and then a few days later, or later that day, I can only hobble around. My consultant doesn't think it is cancer pain and suggested steroid, but another medic thought the dosage was too low to cause the muscle/joint aches.pain. I have just found that my statin (simvastatin) might be responsible as it interacts with the steroids (prednisolone) or main drug (abiraterone).

So I'm now off the statin for at least a month.  I will post this observation as a separate topic to see if anyone else has any similar experience, but thought i'd also mention it here. Side effects and how drugs interact may also be important.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 12:51
Dear All , My Father is suffering from constipation unable to pass stools and sometimes hard stools and feeling hot flashes in chest
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 19:08

I'm prescribed Fybogel to combat the compaction I experience, combined with lots of fluids.  Does make life a little more tolerable in that department.

As for a special diet, the Jane Plant diet was adopted by quite a few on this forum several years ago but for some reason it has fallen out of favour.  Most, including myself adopted some but not all of the changes she proposed and I have stuck with it for a decade now.

The first principle of the diet is to go dairy free, followed by cutting out red meats and avoiding processed foods as far as possible and finally, lots of fresh fruit and veg.  It can be very hard to change a diet if you're a lover of all that great English food that we all thrived on as youngsters and throughout our adult life and many will say that a change of diet will make no difference to outcomes but when I started my adapted Jane Plant diet 10 years ago, I reckoned it would do some good and have stuck with it.

Good luck and best wishes for an easier time ahead.

Roger
User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 04:59
Thanks for your prompt response😊