From my first appointment with my GP in early March 2018, I got the impression that the medical services were concerned re potential prostate cancer; and this has led to a number of stress related symptoms which have persisted on and off up to now. My PSA was relatively low at 3.1 but the DRE appeared to be concerning.
I delayed the process between the GP services and the hospital slightly by going over to South East Asia (my wife is Cambodian and lives there with the kids) and consequently I was again stressed at one stage getting headaches and disorientation (I've since had the tests, I had not contracted any tropical illnesses).
On 19 June 2018, I was advised that I had prostate cancer and the formal letter to the GP confirmed this as 'T3b N0 MX Gleason 9 carcinoma of prostate and as such we have to consider this to be high risk disease'. I have subsequently had the bone scan and CT scan for lymph nodes and these are clear. I had discussed with my consultant the potential treatment and I was advised to consider the hormone therapy followed by high dose radiotherapy.
Having now perused the treatments and side effects as listed on the 'prostate cancer UK ' web site I had become increasingly concerned at the side effects of both HR and radiotherapy and at one stage I was stating that I wouldn't be taking any treatments, and I would take whatever the cancer might deliver.... My interpretation of the side effects of the hormone therapy would be that my body would become 'feminised'. I had also noted the potential for side effects with the radiotherapy. Having now spoken with a nurse at Prostate Cancer UK on a number of occasions I am a little more comfortable with the situation....
I'll be in Europe for five days in September 2018 and I'll be back in Cambodia in December 2018 for five weeks (probably both trips during my hormone therapy treatment). My consultant is aware of these dates, however he has advised me not to book a further trip to Cambodia (for April 2019) until we are clearer about treatments and outcomes. Given that from November 2019, I was considering spending far longer away in Cambodia with my wife and family I really am concerned about the massive impact this diagnosis (and treatment) might have.
I am currently on sick with stress related illnesses (first time on sick since 2005 thirteen years ago, giving an indication of the toll this has already taken on me). I'm not sure when any proposed treatment will start meaning I'll possibly go back to work before this commences.
Whilst the operation wasn't offered to me, I've looked at the potential side effects for this and I really do not fancy it. Which means I will probably be going with the HR/ radiotherapy treatment and all that this entails.....
Looking at my lifestyle is all this doable?
Edited by member 09 Jul 2018 at 12:28
| Reason: Not specified