I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I'm a newbie....

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 19:16

Hi.  I joined the site today as I feel it would be beneficial for myself and my partner to talk and listen to others who are way down the road or like me, just beginning the journey.

My partner was recently diagnosed with advanced PC.  He's ignored any would be symptoms for over a year now, believing the 4 stone weight loss (over a few months) was down to his easing up on the beer, the very painful hips, leaking wee, total fatigue and erectile dysfunctions all down to 'getting old' (he's 63yrs).

The same time he was diagnosed with PC he was also diagnosed with PIA (mini-strokes) for which he needs to take anticoagulants.  So we are between a rock and a hard place.  The TIA's take priority over the PC.  He's so far had an MRI and a rectal digital examination - where a polyp was found but the hospital are loath to do a biopsy because he's on anticoagulants.

A copy of a letter sent to us from the Consultant reads that the cancer is advanced but doesn't say where.  He has a PSA of 13.

What I'm wondering is if others have the experience of treating both a heart condition and cancer at the same time, and if so what has been their experience?

I apologise for my ignorance, if what I'm trying to explain comes across as gobbledegook.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 23:32
Hello Snowgoose and welcome

Don't worry about appearing ignorant. Many of us started off in the same way and the only way to cure ignorance is to ask questions.

I'll not attempt to answer your questions but i'm sure somebody with the necessary knowledge will be along to advise you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jul 2018 at 11:06

Hi Snowgoose,

I am by no means an expert just a fellow PC bod.I think you will need some more details of your other half's diagnosis for anybody to compare the whole picture.

They will give him further examinations and take samples to gauge the extent of pc present and give a Gleason score,(mine was Gleason 3+4 =7) and a bone scan to get an idea of what treatments to give him.

When you get more information come back and i am sure one of the members can help you.

Good Luck John.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2018 at 11:53
Thank you for your response john. Things seem to have ground to a halt regards prostate cancer as the TIA's have taken over. The copy of the Consultants letter gives no mention of his Gleason score but does indicate that he's stage 3 (which I presume 'cT3a-feeling prostate' means). Biopsy can't go ahead until the TIA's are managed, but there's reference to a referral for a sigmoidoscopy. No mention of a bone scan - yet.