Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Life Insurance on Active Surveillance

User
Posted 10 Jul 2018 at 19:05

Hi

I have a problem with life insurance to cover my mortgage. Due to switching my mortgage about 15 years ago I am a position where my life insurance policy runs out next month, but my present mortgage has still got about 8 years to run. My present insurer are longer offering life insurance.

My PC status is that I was diagnosed in 2012 G6 PSA 4, 2/12 core from TRUS biopsy with low volume of adenocarcinoma. Since then I have been on AS with regular biopsies, MRI and PSA tests. Biopsies and MRI have shown no progression and PSA fluctuates and is currently approx 6.

Insurance companies I have contacted are insisting on 2 years remission before they will offer any cover, as I have not had any active treatment I can not be in remission.

Does anyone know of an insurer who will provide cover in this case?

Thanks

Alan 

User
Posted 10 Jul 2018 at 21:44
Sorry Alan, we were in the process of buying a place in France when it all fell apart because we couldn't get life insurance for John. You may just have to risk the 8 years without cover. If it is any consolation, I was surprised recently to discover how much things have changed over the years - when we were young, you couldn't get a mortgage without life cover but two daughters have just bought houses and neither took out insurance - when I expressed surprise / shock / horror, they laughed; apparently mortgage providers no longer insist and it is simply down to the customer to consider how the debt would be paid off if they died.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 05:04
Not an answer to your question I am afraid, but I was surprised to discover recently that a Critical Illness payout would be refused by insurer Aviva if the Gleason score is under 7.

A prostate cancer diagnosis of Gleason 3+3=6 is not classed as “life threatening” by Aviva!

Cheers, John

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 09:27

Hi Lyn
Thanks for the info, it confirms what I was finding. I find it a bit frustrating that I am fortunate enough to be able to take the AS path, but find that it blocks any life insurance as my PC has not been "cured".

The medical profession's opinion is that currently I do not need to have treatment, but insurers will not consider me until I have treatment and 2 years remission.

On the positive side I have no intention of dying before my mortgage is paid off, so I will be saving on the insurance premiums

ARR

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 13:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Not an answer to your question I am afraid, but I was surprised to discover recently that a Critical Illness payout would be refused by insurer Aviva if the Gleason score is under 7.

A prostate cancer diagnosis of Gleason 3+3=6 is not classed as “life threatening” by Aviva!

Cheers, John

Sadly, Aviva also refused to pay out when John had recurrence 2 years post op :-E

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 13:24

Rob-dogs! It must be very galling to think your husband will have to contract some other hideous disease to collect on a policy you have no doubt been paying into forever.

Although in fairness, Aviva did pay out eventually for my stolen Rolex when I was mugged in broad daylight in the middle of Naples by a scooter gang known as the scippatori. That seems to have caught on in London!

And they instantly replaced my iPad recently with a better model by way of a Curry’s voucher when I inadvertently left it on a self checkout in Lidl.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 17:37
Hi Alan

Sometimes it is best to contact an insurance broker for life insurance for a mortgage rather than speaking to individual companies. They have access to a wide range of insurers and may be able to help you.

Alan

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 11:37

Regarding the Aviva issues.

I phoned them on a Wednesday and the next Monday they phoned me to say they would be paying out on my critical illness insurance.  I was lucky to have a print out of my hospital report that I scanned and emailed to them.  They phoned my urologist's secretary to confirm it was genuine and paid out.

Their rule on not paying out on anything below a Gleason 7 or T3 is interesting.  I was at diagnosis G7 and T3a, upgraded to G9 and T3b post surgery.  I'm glad of the money I got, I bought a new car and have gone on some amazing trips, but I think I'd rather have G6 and T2 with no payout.  

Off to oncologist on Wednesday to see what impact salvage radiotherapy has had.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 11:50
Maybe this contact will help, at least they say they will.

https://www.the-insurance-surgery.co.uk/medical-conditions-life-insurance/prostate-cancer-life-insurance/

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 22:22
Quote:

Thanks for that, I spoke to them.

As my PCa is still present they can not provide cover.

The crazy situation is that my medical team say that right now I do not need treatment, but until I have been treated and have 2 years remission no one will provide cover.

Thanks 

ARR

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 02:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Regarding the Aviva issues.

I phoned them on a Wednesday and the next Monday they phoned me to say they would be paying out on my critical illness insurance.  I was lucky to have a print out of my hospital report that I scanned and emailed to them.  They phoned my urologist's secretary to confirm it was genuine and paid out.

Their rule on not paying out on anything below a Gleason 7 or T3 is interesting.  I was at diagnosis G7 and T3a, upgraded to G9 and T3b post surgery.  I'm glad of the money I got, I bought a new car and have gone on some amazing trips, but I think I'd rather have G6 and T2 with no payout.  

Off to oncologist on Wednesday to see what impact salvage radiotherapy has had.

Ulsterman

John was a G7(3+4) T1 / upgraded to T3 and Aviva declined to pay out at diagnosis and then declined again at recurrence - a complete waste of years & years of insurance premiums in our case.