Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter leakage

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 11:15

Hi All,

My hubby had robotic prostatectomy on Thursday, came home on Friday and doing really well.  Noticed this morning that there is very slight leakage around his catheter at end of penis;, just a drop or 2 in his pants, nothing major, but wondering if this is cause for concern?  He is passing copious amounts of urine into bag during the day and overnight his night bag was full to bursting.  Its cleared a lot, no more pink, so everything seems to be working OK, just not sure about the leak.  Any advice appreciated, thank you

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 13:09
Catheters can leak ( bypass ) slightly and is no cause for concern if slight. If I sat on loo for a number 2 and pushed , I would get lots of bypass. Only in that position. A slight bypass also stops bugs getting up there.
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 13:17

Cornish Maid

If in doubt alway get medical advice, but what you describe is very common and is exactly as I was following my surgery. The bladder still contracts and pushes urine and blood down the urethra even though most of the urine is being drained by the catheter, it can be quite uncomfortable. Overnight I have passed 1500ml of urine. Keep drinking plenty as directed by your medical team.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 14:01

This is quite normal. I had the same when I had a catheter.

Best wishes for your hubby’s continued recovery.

Ido4

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 14:16

Thanks all for replies.  Good to know its relatively "normal" as catheter is not something either of us have experienced before.  Just out of interest, were you given any spare sticky pads which anchor the tube near the top of the thigh?  His is starting to peel off already, and I have wrapped a soft bandage around it this morning, just to make sure its secure.  He wants to shower but reluctant in case it loosens any further, so had a quick wash down this morning.  Not sure if its going to stay stuck for another 10 days ... 

Edited by member 15 Jul 2018 at 14:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 14:36
An elastic or Velcro strap fitted under the ‘Y’ is normally enough to stop weight being borne on the penis. Has he got old fashioned tight pants , as they are a must really and hold everything in situ. Boxers are no good at all.
User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 14:43

Thanks, we were thinking of pinching the strap from one of his day bags so will try that later.  He wears Y front "trunks" so supported there, just the pipe exit angle seems to want to pull him forwards and not so comfy when he sits down.  Not sure if the pipe has twisted slightly when he washed this morning, as was OK yesterday, or just down to healing/body adjusting to the trauma of it all.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2018 at 17:56

CM

Another tip in case the eye of the penis gets sore is to use a product called instilagel. It is a lubricant, with anesthetic and antiseptic, available from most chemists. A small squirt between the eye of the penis and the catheter will reduce friction, it is about £3 a tube. I have Always had the velcro / thigh straps as mentioned by CJ. Ideally being provided with two straps is better, I remove the bag straps have a shower with the thigh strap only in place,dry the thigh well then swap to the spare strap and leave the original strap to dry. I also strap the night bag tube too my ankle, save the risk of pulling the night bag out of the day/leg bag. 

Thanks Chris