Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Scared and shocked

User
Posted 19 Jul 2018 at 19:37

Hello, 

After a few months of various tests today we saw an urologist who has told us my husband has PC, based on his PSA over a 1000 I forget the exact figure and an examination of his prostrate he thinks its advanced and that it has probably spread. I asked for timelines and he said likely 4-5 years but obviously can't be sure of it.

We are beyond shocked as he is so fit and well and has always been so. I can't comprehend life without him and though trying to stay positive I am struggling. 

His daughter is currently going through treatment for breast cancer and we don't want to add to her troubles.

I suppose I'm looking for any positive stories and advice. We have a biopsy scheduled for next week and an MRI scan after that. He is starting HT the day after the biopsy.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 22:55

Hi Again, Haven't updated since my first post so I thought I would get it done today.

Looking back on getting the news at first to where we are today seems like an eternity ago even though its only been 6 months. 

We seemed to wait an age for test results after the initial diagnosis , Oh was put onto HT straight away, we had been told it had probably spread but had to wait to find out where. 

Eventually we had an appointment with the onco who informed us it had spread to his bones, and lymph nodes in the pelvis. However from the initial psa of 1098 his had dropped to 37 just with HT.

And where we thought prognosis was 4/5 years they have now said 10years or more. He is currently going through a course of chemo 6 sessions and number 5 is on Thursday.

His PSA has fluctuated through Chemo but his latest result this week was 13.

I suppose the reason for my update is for anyone who is in the place we were last year at first diagnosis I want you to know that it isn't always as bad as you think it will be. We know it can't be cured and there are side effects with the therapy, but no where as bad as I was expecting. When you read all the brochures and see all the possible side effects we were prepared for the worst, but other than being more tired than usual and the loss of libido he is fit and well.

The same can be said for his chemo treatment, we had a couple of admissions to hospital with possible infections when his cell count was low but since i've locked him in the house for the few bad days no problems at all. 

He hasn't lost his hair even though I shaved it really short to prepare ourselves !! He hasn't had to shave for about two months though which he finds a benefit.

While we waited for results we stopped talking about our future as it didn't feel like we had one, it was so difficult as we always had plans in the pipeline for holidays or retirement. But now we are planning a holiday to America later this year and looking at beyond again.

We know things may change but have made a conscious decision not to give in to it and let it define us, we will do whatever we need to treatment wise to give him the best chance of being here for a longer time.

His doctors are pleased with him and said his overall fitness has made it easier for him to take the treatment. So for now we are feeling positive and will enjoy what we have together.

Hope this helps if you have just been dealt this devastating blow. Happy to talk to anyone directly.

Tracy and Keith x 

Steriods give him weird vivid dreams and the day before chemo he takes ten tablets so they can keep him awake.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 16:03

Hi everyone, thought I'd post a further update. Has his 6 week check up today post chemo ended, PSA result was 1.7. All other bloods tests normal, so at the moment they are really happy with him. Nurse has said that basically they have stopped the cancer cells from growing. So he is just on prostap now with three monthly check ups. Feels like we can look forward now and is such a relief. I know he will never get the all clear but it feels good to know its under control for now.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2018 at 20:03

I was diagnosed in Feb 2017 with a PSA of 1547 and extensive bone mets. click on my profile to see my journey so far, which will give you a fair outline of what treatments may lay ahead for you. But remember we re all individuals so even with similar conditions some people respond better to one form of treatment over another?

Best of luck to you 

J..

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:12

Hello Dennychick and welcome to the site.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband but please remember, he may have been diagnosed as "incurable" but that's not to say that the estimated 4-5 years is accurate.

HT, for instance, is likely to bring his PSA right down, which will give you both a lift because you'll be able to see that HT is working towards allowing him to take part in other teatments.

We have had members on here with much much higher PSA than your husband or even Valleyboy and even though not undertaking curative treatment it has allowed them many more years with their loved ones.

There is also the possibility with the way research makes such huge leaps, that at some stage another break through will happen and different treatments will be trialled.

Don't despair, don't give up hope.

Live each day as a new day if you can. I know that like most of us wives, you will do your utmost to be there to support him and give him the occasional nudge when he gets down.
Having said that, it can be very draining on the partners and wives so take care of yourself too.

I hope that your daughter's treatment is also successful. Her dad's cancer right on top of hers is not what any of you want is it.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 20 Jul 2018 at 17:13  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:31
Hi and welcome. My husband was diagnosed March 2017 PSA 1303 lymph nodes and extensive bone mets. The worst time is the waiting but we found when things started to happen it got a bit easier.

Best wishes

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 15:22

I know every man is different but hopefully as you hubby has done the last chemo things should start to get to a new normal.

i had ridges and cracking nails for a while after chemo but used the Norwegian formula hand and nail  cream morning and night and that seemed to improve things. 3 years on from chemo i still have splitting nails but go back to the cream and that sorts them in a couple of days.

like you say, there is hope for msny despite an initial rubbish diagnosis/prognosis.

i guess i am a good example of how a good new normal life can be as after over 4 years since diagnosis of spread to lymps in pelvis, aorta and neck i am still running ultra marathons, next one is in 10 days, 383 miles non stop accross the Arctic as a solo competitor pulling a sledge. Just never give up unless it is physically impossible is what i say.

kev

Edited by member 21 Feb 2019 at 15:27  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 19 Jul 2018 at 19:37

Hello, 

After a few months of various tests today we saw an urologist who has told us my husband has PC, based on his PSA over a 1000 I forget the exact figure and an examination of his prostrate he thinks its advanced and that it has probably spread. I asked for timelines and he said likely 4-5 years but obviously can't be sure of it.

We are beyond shocked as he is so fit and well and has always been so. I can't comprehend life without him and though trying to stay positive I am struggling. 

His daughter is currently going through treatment for breast cancer and we don't want to add to her troubles.

I suppose I'm looking for any positive stories and advice. We have a biopsy scheduled for next week and an MRI scan after that. He is starting HT the day after the biopsy.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 23:05
What a great update! I like your style in grounding him for a few days each round ... my father-in-law found the most distressing aspect of chemo was not being allowed to go to the pub on the high risk days!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 21:00

Tracey

what a fantastic result and a wonderful attitude. Our journey has been nearly 9 years now, we started on the old protocol where chemo was only given late, which my hubby finished ten sessions in January, it didn’t do the trick for him but he was put on Enzalutimide and that has been amazing. I always say that we have been unlucky/lucky. No one wants disease but given the spread we had, we have been lucky, I’ve know people with much lower Gleason scores (hubby’s is 10) come and go in the time I’ve been on here. I can’t say it’s all been fun, but could be worse!

enjoy every lovely moment together, it’s what we do. Regret nothing. It’s a great way to live.

love Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 11:46
Bical can work with the Prostap for anything from a few months to a couple of years. At some point, the cancer starts to use the bical as food so it becomes counterproductive and will be stopped again. This often leads to an anti-androgen withdrawal response (AAWR) so the PSA drops again for a while (because it is being starved again) which can give a few weeks or months respite. Presumably after that, they would try Abiraterone or Enzalutimide with or without chemo.

Enjoy planning the holidays and trips that are booked; it is so important to have things to look forward to.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 12:13
My friend was on Bicalutamide for two years before it stopped working, and his urologist said ‘You’re lucky, we usually only get twelve to eighteen months out of it’.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jul 2018 at 20:03

I was diagnosed in Feb 2017 with a PSA of 1547 and extensive bone mets. click on my profile to see my journey so far, which will give you a fair outline of what treatments may lay ahead for you. But remember we re all individuals so even with similar conditions some people respond better to one form of treatment over another?

Best of luck to you 

J..

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:12

Hello Dennychick and welcome to the site.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband but please remember, he may have been diagnosed as "incurable" but that's not to say that the estimated 4-5 years is accurate.

HT, for instance, is likely to bring his PSA right down, which will give you both a lift because you'll be able to see that HT is working towards allowing him to take part in other teatments.

We have had members on here with much much higher PSA than your husband or even Valleyboy and even though not undertaking curative treatment it has allowed them many more years with their loved ones.

There is also the possibility with the way research makes such huge leaps, that at some stage another break through will happen and different treatments will be trialled.

Don't despair, don't give up hope.

Live each day as a new day if you can. I know that like most of us wives, you will do your utmost to be there to support him and give him the occasional nudge when he gets down.
Having said that, it can be very draining on the partners and wives so take care of yourself too.

I hope that your daughter's treatment is also successful. Her dad's cancer right on top of hers is not what any of you want is it.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 20 Jul 2018 at 17:13  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:31
Hi and welcome. My husband was diagnosed March 2017 PSA 1303 lymph nodes and extensive bone mets. The worst time is the waiting but we found when things started to happen it got a bit easier.

Best wishes

User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 22:55

Hi Again, Haven't updated since my first post so I thought I would get it done today.

Looking back on getting the news at first to where we are today seems like an eternity ago even though its only been 6 months. 

We seemed to wait an age for test results after the initial diagnosis , Oh was put onto HT straight away, we had been told it had probably spread but had to wait to find out where. 

Eventually we had an appointment with the onco who informed us it had spread to his bones, and lymph nodes in the pelvis. However from the initial psa of 1098 his had dropped to 37 just with HT.

And where we thought prognosis was 4/5 years they have now said 10years or more. He is currently going through a course of chemo 6 sessions and number 5 is on Thursday.

His PSA has fluctuated through Chemo but his latest result this week was 13.

I suppose the reason for my update is for anyone who is in the place we were last year at first diagnosis I want you to know that it isn't always as bad as you think it will be. We know it can't be cured and there are side effects with the therapy, but no where as bad as I was expecting. When you read all the brochures and see all the possible side effects we were prepared for the worst, but other than being more tired than usual and the loss of libido he is fit and well.

The same can be said for his chemo treatment, we had a couple of admissions to hospital with possible infections when his cell count was low but since i've locked him in the house for the few bad days no problems at all. 

He hasn't lost his hair even though I shaved it really short to prepare ourselves !! He hasn't had to shave for about two months though which he finds a benefit.

While we waited for results we stopped talking about our future as it didn't feel like we had one, it was so difficult as we always had plans in the pipeline for holidays or retirement. But now we are planning a holiday to America later this year and looking at beyond again.

We know things may change but have made a conscious decision not to give in to it and let it define us, we will do whatever we need to treatment wise to give him the best chance of being here for a longer time.

His doctors are pleased with him and said his overall fitness has made it easier for him to take the treatment. So for now we are feeling positive and will enjoy what we have together.

Hope this helps if you have just been dealt this devastating blow. Happy to talk to anyone directly.

Tracy and Keith x 

Steriods give him weird vivid dreams and the day before chemo he takes ten tablets so they can keep him awake.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 23:05
What a great update! I like your style in grounding him for a few days each round ... my father-in-law found the most distressing aspect of chemo was not being allowed to go to the pub on the high risk days!

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 14:17

We've come to the end of our Chemo journey now, OH has an appointment Monday to start taking him off steroids. The hospital have said there will just be 3 month bloods and check ups now till something changes. 

We should know the latest PSA result then as well. This last chemo has really knocked him though, he's been very tired, falling asleep at the drop of a hat, shooting pains in his arms and legs, and his nails have all ridges in them and the tops are lifting so he keeps catching them.

I think he just wants to get back to some kind of normality now, or as normal as things can be whilst on prostap.

I suppose I'm not really sure where we go from here, I've read so many people's stories and right now it feels we are in a good place, overall he's fit and healthy apart from the obvious.

But I feel like I'm waiting for the hammer to fall, I suppose it would be good to hear from people who have positive stories after first diagnosis, can he really be okay for a number of years with this disease without it progressing further. 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2019 at 15:22

I know every man is different but hopefully as you hubby has done the last chemo things should start to get to a new normal.

i had ridges and cracking nails for a while after chemo but used the Norwegian formula hand and nail  cream morning and night and that seemed to improve things. 3 years on from chemo i still have splitting nails but go back to the cream and that sorts them in a couple of days.

like you say, there is hope for msny despite an initial rubbish diagnosis/prognosis.

i guess i am a good example of how a good new normal life can be as after over 4 years since diagnosis of spread to lymps in pelvis, aorta and neck i am still running ultra marathons, next one is in 10 days, 383 miles non stop accross the Arctic as a solo competitor pulling a sledge. Just never give up unless it is physically impossible is what i say.

kev

Edited by member 21 Feb 2019 at 15:27  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 16:03

Hi everyone, thought I'd post a further update. Has his 6 week check up today post chemo ended, PSA result was 1.7. All other bloods tests normal, so at the moment they are really happy with him. Nurse has said that basically they have stopped the cancer cells from growing. So he is just on prostap now with three monthly check ups. Feels like we can look forward now and is such a relief. I know he will never get the all clear but it feels good to know its under control for now.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 20:06

Great news Tracy. Aren't they doing any RT? I'm on prostap, had the chemo and am now half way through 20 EBRT sessions which I have to say is a breeze compared to the chemo.

PS I've got the ribbed fingernails as well.

John

Edited by member 11 Apr 2019 at 20:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 21:00

Tracey

what a fantastic result and a wonderful attitude. Our journey has been nearly 9 years now, we started on the old protocol where chemo was only given late, which my hubby finished ten sessions in January, it didn’t do the trick for him but he was put on Enzalutimide and that has been amazing. I always say that we have been unlucky/lucky. No one wants disease but given the spread we had, we have been lucky, I’ve know people with much lower Gleason scores (hubby’s is 10) come and go in the time I’ve been on here. I can’t say it’s all been fun, but could be worse!

enjoy every lovely moment together, it’s what we do. Regret nothing. It’s a great way to live.

love Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 13:20

Hi All, 

I've updated my profile but thought I would update here as well. So we went from July 2019 to October 2019 with PSA sitting at 1.7, then October it had gone to 5, two weeks later it was 10 then two weeks after that 15. So having put my worries to the back of my mind for most of last year, all of my feeling of fright and fear were brought crashing back. 

They aren't sure why it's increasing at the moment but have put him on Bicalutimide. Side effects so far are extra tiredness on top of how he was already feeling. But that's all for now. Doctor said the disease will find a way which scared me even more. 

Waiting till March for next clinic to see if his PSA has gone down at all , if it increases they will look at scanning him.  

We have holidays booked this year already but I find myself reluctant to commit to anything next year at the moment. Thoughts of planning a funeral and being on my own creep into my head even though I don't want them to and he is feeling perfectly fine at the moment.

Will update when we know more.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 17:19
Did they check his testosterone with his last couple of PSA tests? When the PSA starts rising on HT, the testosterone becomes a really useful window into what's going on.

If his T is below castrate level then the cancer has learnt to survive without it (this is called being castrate resistant or hormone independent) and something else needs to be added (such as bicalutamide, abiraterone or enzalutamide) whereas if the T is above castrate level it suggests that the hormone isn't working properly (which could be because of a faulty batch, incorrect storage, poor technique, the 1 month dose was accidentally given instead of the 3 month dose or simply that the man needs the 3 month dose every 2 months (for example) to be effective.

Fingers crossed for you that the bical settles things down for a while.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2020 at 07:14

HI Dennychick,

Sorry to hear of this so soon. We are exactly a year behind you and your husband in diagnosis of advanced PCa. Yours was one of the first stories I read when I was first looking on the forum last year.

I see Lyn has responded with useful information, I have no advice except to say I am thinking of you and hope this is a blip along the way.

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 10:34

Hi Both, Testosterone levels are below castrate so looks like the disease is working its way around it. Bicalutamide started a couple of months ago so waiting for results now in March. Nothing to do but hope and pray I suppose, how long is this drug generally effective for ?

Tracy

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 11:46
Bical can work with the Prostap for anything from a few months to a couple of years. At some point, the cancer starts to use the bical as food so it becomes counterproductive and will be stopped again. This often leads to an anti-androgen withdrawal response (AAWR) so the PSA drops again for a while (because it is being starved again) which can give a few weeks or months respite. Presumably after that, they would try Abiraterone or Enzalutimide with or without chemo.

Enjoy planning the holidays and trips that are booked; it is so important to have things to look forward to.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 11:53

Fingers crossed it works for as long as possible for your husband. Let us know how the March appointment goes. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 12:13
My friend was on Bicalutamide for two years before it stopped working, and his urologist said ‘You’re lucky, we usually only get twelve to eighteen months out of it’.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.