I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help - need a spare leg bag

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 22:37

Hubby was discharged with 2 leg bags, one fitted and 2nd to swap to after 7 days.  Fitted the new one last night, and just found its leaking ... not having cath removed until Wednesday.  Luckily had to old bag here still to get rid of so have disinfected and re-attached for tonight, but just wondering where we can get one to see him through, and as a spare in case this one should also leak.  Most chemists seem to have to order them, we are 20 'odd miles from nearest Urology Dept and 200 miles from Hospital that did his Op.  Any suggestions very gratefully received, thanks 

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 23:42

The local district nurse gave me the impression they had some at their local clinic.  I'd ring the nearest hospital they might have some.  I seem to recall being given a delivery number for extras if needed.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 00:42
District nurse is probably the quickest option, if they are willing to help. Or a local hospice might be willing to give you one for a donation?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 02:42
I think I saw them on mail order when I was catheterised. Boots the chemist? About six to eight pounds each. Makes 5p at Tesco look a bargain! I took my spare ones back to the hospital when the catheter was removed on day 10.

Maybe the hospital could post you one?

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 07:13

Leslie

As already said , district nurse, hospitial or hospice. I have needed to sterilise a bag before and used miltons sterilising fluid. I have been using bags for probably three years  and never had a faulty bag so you have been unlucky.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 08:40

Thanks all, had to happen at the weekend when everywhere is closed ... our local GP and District Nurse offices are both on emergency call service only today and not really sure this is urgent enough to bother them.

I will look at Boots but when I checked all the chemist options online last night, suggested you need a prescription and they are only available in boxes of 10.  He will only need one until is TWOC appointment on Wednesday morning, so might be able to manage, but I am concerned about infection with using the same bag for so long.  His recovery has gone so well don't want anything to send him backwards!  The bag has a tiny split where the top pipe goes in, it was fine all day yesterday, but when he sat down in the evening and allowed the bag to fill more than he does during the day, it started to leak.  They gave him loads of night bags, but only the 2 leg ones, which seems a bit illogical ... 

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 09:28

Leslie

The system you have is called a closed system and once the bag is removed it should be replaced with a new bag , the NHS guidance says a bag should only be removed for a clinical purpose, so the district nurse should consider it an emergency. 

Having said all that I have had leg bags on for longer than the recommended period without any adverse effects.

Added as regards the night bags they are supposed to be a one time use only , but strangely some have a reusable tap.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 21 Jul 2018 at 09:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 12:43

Thanks all, panic over ... I rang local  Community Hospital who gave me the out of hours messenger service for the DN, who do work weekends here but only on call.  I rang and timed it with co-incidence that someone was there to answer the phone.  Picked up a couple of spares, all OK now.  Its strange that the night bags are single use and the leg bags are OK for 7 days ... I assume its due to length of time between emptyings giving the opportunity for bugs to grow overnight.  We have reused, replacing every 2nd or 3rd night, but you would think that the leg bag being so much closer to the body would have more potential to cause infections.  They must know what they are going I guess, thanks again for all replies and advice :)

Edited by member 21 Jul 2018 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 13:11
I was given two 1.5L night bags for my ten day supra-pubic catheterisation, and printed on the bag was something like “replace after 5 days”. The drain tap on one of the bags broke off, hence my trip to hospital for spares.

I think the plumbing in my pipework incorporated a non-return valve.

Glad to be rid of the bloody thing but you do get used to it.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 15:38

Cornishmaid

Glad you got it sorted and best wishes for his TWOC on Wednesday. I have had to do numerous twocs and never had  a problem, I just keep relaxed and start steadily dinking water as soon as I get on the morning of the TWOC. When at hospitial I follow the instructions of the staff and have no problems doing the three samples. Might be an idea to take a few extra pads just in case and a towel to put on the car seat just in case, I carried a boots urine bottle in the car post op/TWOC for emergencies but only needed it a couple of times.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 16:08

Thanks Chris, I work in a respite centre and boss presented me with a few urine bottles to keep in car etc just in case, so we are prepared.  Although he has managed the cath very well, he can't wait to get rid, and will cope with whatever the outcome.  We have some pads ready for the day, but keeping everything crossed he won't need them for long.  He is a school groundsman, manual job/on feet all day and on and off machines, so when he eventually goes back to work in 8 weeks or so, may be an issue, but I will nag him to do his pelvic floors to help him get control back.

Edited by member 21 Jul 2018 at 16:24  | Reason: Not specified