I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should my son have a PSA test

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 20:12

quick history. I was dx with Pca at 53 years old. Had RP and RT. Told Id probably had Pca for years. My son is 29. He’s having various blood tests as he has had unexplained significant weight loss ie 3.5 stone. I think they should add PSA to the numerous blood tests he is having to try and determine what’s wrong. My wife knows he does get up at night for a pee 

It’s very young for PCa. What do people think

Bri 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 22:11
It costs so little so why wouldn't you??
User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 23:38

Hi Bri

i don’t see why not, we all know that in some cases pca is hereditary. We also know that rare as it is some men can get it  their 30s. so a PSA test will (probbaly ) show a low PSA so is a waste of time however, on the off chance it is slightly elevated then let’s investigate early. Equally, if th PSA is “normal” then he has a marker that will be a good baseline to show any unfortunate changes in years to come or hopefully no change so stand down.

lets go the other way, he does not bother and then .......... who knows. My dad had pca, cureable, he was never told of the hereditary link. Aged 49 I am told Gleason 9 PSA 342, spread, if my dad had been told (and told me) I would still have had pca but possibly with annual tests been caught before  it went metastatic. I think my dad realised this after the event and that’s why he was so upset with the doctors ( we shared the same gp)when I told him of my prognosis. 

Take care buddy

kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 23:39
It sounds like PCa is the last thing he needs to worry about right now. That is a lot of weight to lose and as you know is not a known indicator of prostate cancer.

I hope they get to the bottom of it soon, Bri.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 23:47
Thanks all. Will probably wait to see if they discover a cause. If not I think they should do a PSA test to rule it out

Bri

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 11:06

Hiya Bri, I have a son of a similar age so I can readily understand your concern. As Lyn says, weight loss is not one of the usual symptoms of PCa. Personally I would see what the other investigations reveal then request a psa test to put all your minds at ease. I hope things can be sorted for you mate.Paul

Paul

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 23:18
I have hypertension and because I had numerous blood tests for that my GP added a PSA test and found a PSA of around 5. After that he monitored it for a little while and then referred me to a consultant who diagnosed PCa.

If I had not had those PSA tests then I would not have been diagnosed with PCa.

I would encourage men of any age to have a PSA test asap. The earlier PCa is diagnosed then the easier it is to treat.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 00:18

Short answer is yes. I’m getting very bored with the line that men apparently shouldn’t get PSA tested because of stress while apparently women are not stressed by the barrage of through life testing they get with breast/cervix screening et al.

You can be sure of one thing. The NHS don’t want to start screening because they would be ill equipped to deal with the mass of referrals. We are unfortunately seeing a near class divide. Men who are educated and aware are being treated. Other men are arriving late in life and suffering accordingly. 

Its a laudable but sadly ridiculous claim that we are going to beat PCa in ten years. Cancer has had more money spent on it than any other chronic disease in human history and it still remains. Early detection is the only way.

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 03:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Short answer is yes. I’m getting very bored with the line that men apparently shouldn’t get PSA tested because of stress while apparently women are not stressed by the barrage of through life testing they get with breast/cervix screening et al.

You can be sure of one thing. The NHS don’t want to start screening because they would be ill equipped to deal with the mass of referrals. We are unfortunately seeing a near class divide. 

Fresh

Sexual discrimination!

Her Loveliness has had two invitations for cervical smear tests from our GP in the last eighteen months, despite her having had a total hysterectomy three years ago and therefore has no cervix to be smeared. The surgery is well aware of her operation and she told them not to bother sending any more invitations after the first one. No doubt they will keep coming.

I however, went seven years before my first PSA test (2.2) and my second (16.9) because I naïvely thought ‘Full Blood Count’ on my blood test form included a PSA test. Which it did not.

Now we find the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes and is therefore likely to cost the NHS far more in the long run.

Cheers, John