I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Out of area hospitials

User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 17:06

Just a note of caution for anyone having surgery or invasive treatments at out of area or multiple hospitials.

Today I should have had a colonoscopy to investigate blood in my motions. I fasted for twenty four hours, drank two litres of foul tasting moviprep. I then visited the loo numerous times and finished up with a very raw backside.

The timing of the moviprep was a bit close and I made it to the treatment center just in time. I was promptly ushered into a room answered some questions and got changed. Five minutes later the nurse returned to tell me they could not carry out the procedure because of the surgery I had at an out of area hospitial in the last twelve months and I needed to have a rectal swab and rebook the appointment. At the initial appointment they knew I had been to the Christie for surgery and the stand in for the absent consultant even read the surgery discharge letter.

My father in law had knee surgery at the same establisment and swears he was never swabbed.

Needless to say I am a bit miffed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 18:52

I was going to say what a nuisance but that isn't strong enough is it.

To have toi go all through the prep for no gain must be sooooo galling.

No wonder you are miffed. I'd have used a stronger term myself.

Better luck next time Chris

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 21:14

That is awful. Especially since you’d done all the prep.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 03:29
I am so sorry Chris; you must be livid. Did they say how long it might be before you can get it rearranged?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 21:53
Sorry to hear about your experience, Chris; it sounds as if you were very poorly advised. I’m also having procedures done at two different hospitals at the moment, and both hospitals made it very clear when I went for the pre-op assessment that if I had a procedure in a different hospital it would nullify the swabs they’d done, and that I’d need to be re-swabbed or the procedure couldn’t be done. Hospitals take infection control very seriously these days!

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 18:52

I was going to say what a nuisance but that isn't strong enough is it.

To have toi go all through the prep for no gain must be sooooo galling.

No wonder you are miffed. I'd have used a stronger term myself.

Better luck next time Chris

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 21:14

That is awful. Especially since you’d done all the prep.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 03:29
I am so sorry Chris; you must be livid. Did they say how long it might be before you can get it rearranged?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 14:02

Thanks guys and gals

Livid does not go anywhere near. The nurse said she could do the rectal swap straight away, and make another appointment, My initial reaction was I am not going through that again and I would not be having it done. Twenty four hours on I am beginning to think l should have it checked,but am considering the CT version, the fasting and moviprep and an anal probe is still required but the chance of damage is less. The down side is if the CT picks up suspicious areas I would need to do it a third time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 21:53
Sorry to hear about your experience, Chris; it sounds as if you were very poorly advised. I’m also having procedures done at two different hospitals at the moment, and both hospitals made it very clear when I went for the pre-op assessment that if I had a procedure in a different hospital it would nullify the swabs they’d done, and that I’d need to be re-swabbed or the procedure couldn’t be done. Hospitals take infection control very seriously these days!

Chris