I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel after RT

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 08:49

I’m expecting to have RT towards the end of this year (I see the oncologist tomorrow), and I was wondering if anyone could advise me how long it generally takes for the short-term side-effects to disappear. Would it be sensible, for example, to consider going on a fairly strenuous holiday a month after completing RT?

Thanks,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 10:58
Short term side effects usually appear in the second half of the treatment course and last for a couple of weeks afterwards. Whether or not you can manage a strenuous holiday will be more down to how the HT affects you.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 11:03
Thanks, Lyn. I hope to be starting HT in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll know well in advance whether it's feasible to arrange such a trip.

Appreciate the useful advice, as always!

Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 12:20
The tiredness is the thing to get in the way of a holiday. It all depends on how bad it hits you.

I couldn't have managed a strenuous holiday, even a flight abroad would have been too much. I reckon I would have spoiled my wife's holiday, and that would be unfair. She went on a cruise with her sister in law.

Allow 6 to 8 months after your last hormone injection before you feel 100% again, and be raring to go again.

The actual RT made me extra tired, but this disappeared after a day or two.

So you should anticipate that you will be the same after RT as you were before, and judge on that.

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 12:22
You also need to consider things like the weather. John was advised to go on holiday before the RT started rather than after because the skin in the zapping area is much more sensitive to sunburn afterwards .... basically, the RT is like a long session on a sunbed so he had to keep a t-shirt on more than before and not lie by the pool topless. In the event, he wasn't too bad but he is naturally very dark skinned; others here have been more profoundly affected.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 12:24

I am not sure that applies to everyone Tykey - John was playing rugby, cycling and going to the gym five days a week. It is partly down to which type of HT you are on - I know that you have said in other posts that you had bicalutimide but since that is given as tablets rather than injections, I think you may be mistaken. Bicalutimide is less likely to cause the extreme fatigue that Prostap, Zoladex, etc can produce. 

Edited by member 12 Aug 2018 at 12:28  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 12:56
Thanks again, Lyn. I'm planning on going to Egypt and scrambling around in ancient tombs, etc (which I've done many times before). It's quite physically strenuous, but sun isn't really an issue in January - it's typically low to mid 20s. I always do wear long-sleeved shirts and a hat anyway. I know how to pace myself on strenuous trips, and I'll be on my own (with a guide) so I can call it a day as soon as I feel I've done enough that day.

Chris

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 08:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am not sure that applies to everyone Tykey - John was playing rugby, cycling and going to the gym five days a week. It is partly down to which type of HT you are on - I know that you have said in other posts that you had bicalutimide but since that is given as tablets rather than injections, I think you may be mistaken. Bicalutimide is less likely to cause the extreme fatigue that Prostap, Zoladex, etc can produce. 

You might have missed my post which clarified I had bicalutamide in both tablet form and then injections. They gave me tablets for a month (ish) to make sure the side effects were tolerable, then on to injections,.I assumed the injections were the same stuff as the tablets, otherwise there seems no point in doing it in this way.

Maybe it's a Yorkshire method?😉

But the principle that I was the same after as before RT is still valid.

Edited by member 13 Aug 2018 at 08:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 09:31
Yes I saw your post clarifying that but you must be mistaken. They don’t make bicalutimide in injection form. You probably had bicalutimide tablets for 4 weeks and then prostap or Zoladex injections.

The tablets are to stop tumour flare when the injections start - it is a common regime and nothing to do with making sure you can tolerate the side effects.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 12:09

I had my last Zoladex injection during my RT. Apart from the combined effects making me prematurely tired, an unwelcome need was to urinate at much shorter intervals and at the peak up to 8 times a night for a time which was very debilitating. Whereas prior to the RT but just on Zoladex I was still able to play short tennis, although I had to sit out more games, I could not have done this whilst having RT or for a few weeks after. So unless you are rather exceptional, I would defer a strenuous holiday for a couple of months or so after RT ends. I did force myself to do some long, if slow walks during and just after RT. Being younger and fitter to start with would certainly be an advantage.

Edited by member 13 Aug 2018 at 12:11  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 12:47

Thanks, Barry, that's very useful information. I am fit and healthy (well, not healthy I suppose, but you know what I mean!), so I'll wait and see how the HT and RT affects me. I'm seeing my oncologist at 5:30 this afternoon, so hope to have a definite plan of action then!

Chris

Edited by member 13 Aug 2018 at 12:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 16:00

Chris

i finished salvage radiotherapy mid June.  I had tremendous urination problems during the treatment - just needed to go all the time.  My bowel movements were also very loose.  I wet and soiled myself on several occasions.

two weeks after treatment, I went to India and Nepal with my teenage daughter.  We stayed in good quality hotels and were very careful with what and where we ate.  I took pads and pull up pants, Imodiu, rehydration sachets etc.  We were not doing anything strenuous and really just travelled around sightseeing.  As long as I was near a toilet, I was fine.  I may have been taking a risk in going, but it paid off for me.  My doctors did say it was ok to go as there was a two week gap between the treatment and departure, and they told me I should not go if I felt unwell.

mid July, I took a more ambitious trip to Central America with my teenage son.  This involved a bit of hiking to waterfalls and up the sides of volcanoes.  I barely coped.  I lacked the physical stamina I once had.  My legs felt weak and I was tired and breathless.  I wonder if that’s because I’ve become less fit, or if it is bicalutimide related.  It seems I can walk for miles so long as it doesn’t involve steep hills.

i hope you get to go on your trip but make sure you are cleared by your medics so that your travel insurance is still valid.

during the Central America trip, my son was attacked by two stray dogs.  To cut a long story short, we were medically evacuated to the UK and ended back up in Wexham Park Hospital near Heathrow.  That’s the last place I wanted to be as, by coincidence, that’s where I go for my PCa.  My son is fine, but the insurance company arranged and paid for flights etc.  So, make sure you have medical clearance just in case - we are all a bit wary of travel insurance companies looking for a way to turn down a claim.

ulsterman 

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 09:21
Wexham Park is not that bad....... they decided to send me to Royal Berks in the end though.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 12:24

Wexham Park has been very good to me - just didn’t want to be there when I should have been white water rafting in Costa Rica!