Just to be clear, there are strong personal views on this forum but the state of play 're what kind of biopsy he gets is:
- If the mri shows clear areas of concern, he doesn't need a template biopsy as they know where to target
- if he is offered template biopsy ask whether it is possible to do it with a spinal block rather than general anaesthetic. Some hospitals do and some don't.
- if you live in an area where template biopsy is not allowed unless there has been a TRUS biopsy first, you would have to go out of area
- if you push for template biopsy that was not otherwise going to be offered to you, the hospital target for diagnosing and starting treatment no longer applies ie the clock stops ticking
- in some areas the wait for a template biopsy can be a few months unless you have cover or can afford to pay