Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help!!! Lutetium 177 - PSMA Treatment

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 18:49

Hi, 

does anyone have any knowledge of trials for Lutetium 177 - PSMA Treatment  in the UK?

hopefully yours,

Liz

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 21:08

Hi Liz,

I think your best bet might be to contact Guys on this - details shown in this link https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/nuclear-medicine/lutetium-therapy.pdf

One of our members paid to have the treatment ,which in Europe seems largely to be done in Germany or Finland and possibly The Netherlands. As background information you may wish to read the most recent posts here:-http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t13262-Lutetium-177---PSMA-Treatment/page2

Edited by member 16 Aug 2018 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 09:29

Hello Liz 

I don't believe that Guys can help you. The Lu177 therapy they are describing is not for prostate cancer. As far as I know there is nowhere in the UK public or private that is licensed for LU177 PSAM ( NOT Dotetate) radioisotope treatment. 

It is or was available at a number of German university clinics and it may still be available at the Docrates clinic in Helsinki, where I have received this treatment. It may also be available in Australia, South Africa and the US.

best wishes

Neil 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2019 at 09:42

Hello Liz 

In case you are still looking for a UK source for Lu177 treatment, my oncologist tells me that a private clinic in Windsor may be able to offer treatment here in the UK. 

kind regards

Neil 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2019 at 14:03
There is a trial for Lu177 recruiting at various sites in Britain; see link below. It’s randomised so that 2/3rds of patients get the drug and the other 1/3rd get standard of care.

https://bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/trial-details/trial-detail?trialId=25835&location=&distance=

User
Posted 03 Jul 2019 at 14:46

Endocyte is the patent holder for the PSMA-617 ligand I believe. Recently bought by Novartis. I assume that they feel they have to do this sort of prospective trial, to get NICE approval but it is of no help to you if you are assigned the into the "standard of care" arm. Great if you are assigned into the "trial" arm. 

By the way Lu177 PSMA is not a drug, it is a radionucleide ligand, i.e. a radioactive particle emitter that is chemically bound to another chemical which preferentially attaches to prostate tumour cells. The active component of the therapy is the Lu177. The PSMA ligand has no therapeutic effect at all, it is merely a carrier. 

It is a pity really that NICE and other regulators cannot use existing data to consider this type of therapy - there is massive data available on "standard therapies" including the fact that they don't, in fact, kill prostate tumours. And there is a growing body of evidence that Lu177 is a well tolerated therapy with modest side effects which can have very beneficial effects, especially if used earlier rather than later, and it does kill tumours, which we know well already due to the experience with other forms of radiotherapy over many decades. The difference between an externally applied energetic particle and that supplied directly to the cell is mostly nothing to do with medicine and plenty to do with physics. Perhaps as most doctors are not physicists they feel they have to reinvent a 50 year old wheel. Meanwhile more papers are published and more people die.