I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 60

User
Posted 18 Aug 2018 at 18:22

My 69-year old father just had a PSA of 60.  He also has had some flow problems for 6 months.  He does not recall having his PSA done before, so we have no idea how long it’s been elevated.  His GP told him he has cancer, which I think is a bit premature to say.  His urine was negative for bacteria, although I don’t know what type of testing was done.  

He has an appt. with a urologist September 5th.  His GP is willing to order an u/s prior to the appt.

is it possible for prostatitis to raise a PSA this high?

User
Posted 18 Aug 2018 at 20:57

Do you know if the GP did a DRE (putting his finger into the back passage to feel the shape of the prostate)? It's certainly possible to have high PSA levels that aren't caused by cancer, but a PSA level of 60 is so high that cancer is extremely likely. The majority of men over 60 do have prostate cancer, so it's not something to get too alarmed about. Localised prostate cancer (cancer confined within the prostate gland) is very treatable.

The next step would normally be to have an MRI scan and a biopsy to find out if cancer is present and, if so, how extensive and active it is. That's probably what the urologist will recommend. After that it can be decided what (if any) treatment is needed.

Hope that's of some help,

Chris

Edited by member 18 Aug 2018 at 21:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 07:36

@LaneyB...

>is it possible for prostatitis to raise a PSA this high?

Yes. (And it'd be naive to hope that's the case.)

@Dunniz...

>Any positive experiences will be appreciated.

Although it would've been more polite to begin your own thread...

----------

Very odd feeling, uncomfortable rather than painful... quite tolerable.

I did at one point mutter something about 'feels like you can't find fourth gear', but refrained from asking whether there was any sign of that sixpence I'd inadvertently swallowed in the 1965 Xmas pudding.

Honestly, at times it felt like someone was rowing a boat in there.

----------

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Aug 2018 at 20:57

Do you know if the GP did a DRE (putting his finger into the back passage to feel the shape of the prostate)? It's certainly possible to have high PSA levels that aren't caused by cancer, but a PSA level of 60 is so high that cancer is extremely likely. The majority of men over 60 do have prostate cancer, so it's not something to get too alarmed about. Localised prostate cancer (cancer confined within the prostate gland) is very treatable.

The next step would normally be to have an MRI scan and a biopsy to find out if cancer is present and, if so, how extensive and active it is. That's probably what the urologist will recommend. After that it can be decided what (if any) treatment is needed.

Hope that's of some help,

Chris

Edited by member 18 Aug 2018 at 21:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2018 at 05:07

Thanks, that was very helpful.  He is a very young 69,  and otherwise in good health.  He is very scared, but calming down more today.  No DRE was performed.

Edited by member 19 Aug 2018 at 05:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 07:36

@LaneyB...

>is it possible for prostatitis to raise a PSA this high?

Yes. (And it'd be naive to hope that's the case.)

@Dunniz...

>Any positive experiences will be appreciated.

Although it would've been more polite to begin your own thread...

----------

Very odd feeling, uncomfortable rather than painful... quite tolerable.

I did at one point mutter something about 'feels like you can't find fourth gear', but refrained from asking whether there was any sign of that sixpence I'd inadvertently swallowed in the 1965 Xmas pudding.

Honestly, at times it felt like someone was rowing a boat in there.

----------