I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Weak urine flow after prostatectomy

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 10:44

Anyone else experienced this same phenomenon?

Here I am at home and it's 2 weeks since surgery.  I am told that everything went smoothly.  Since removal of the catheter, however, I have not been afflicted with the expected incontinence, apart from a few drips now and then.

My main issue is that I have a very weak urine stream and have to gently squeeze in order to empty my bladder.  I don't feel any particular pain or discomfort in relation to this.  My recovery - the healing of the holes in my abdomen - is proceeding okay.

The doctor tells me the cause is probably the stitches around the join between bladder and urethra.  He says these will dissolve over the next three months and my urine flow will gradually become normal.  He says this side effect is very rare and more common in men who have had surgery for benign prostate swellings.

He recommends I don't drink more than 1.5 litres of fluid per day, and that I drink in small amounts.

I was experiencing slow peeing (in the mornings) for many years before I was diagnosed with PC.  I assumed the surgery would end this.  

As I am not suffering from the incontinence that most RP patients report, I don't know whether to be happy or concerned!  But I am feeling fine, enjoying my enforced idleness (with moderate exercise) and determined not to worry.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 15:38

AR

My flow diminished soon after surgery. I went on to have two problems, one was migration of surgical clips into the bladder, typically associated with Davinci surgery. The second problem was the development of a stricture at the anastomosis (the joint) .

Hopefully your doctor is right and it will settle, watch out for signs of a water infection that can be an indication of complications.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 19:38
Same here and 5 years in it is still slower. I almost had an op to put it right but decided against it literally at the last minute.

I would say if it’s just a case of taking a little longer when peeing then live with it. The op to improve it could leave you with other side effects. See my profile

Bri

User
Posted 22 Aug 2018 at 02:05

Hi Chris.

What exactly do you mean by "signs of a water infection"?

I have ejected two blood clots over the last couple of days, like little sections of blackcurrant jelly.  There has also been a little blood in my urine 3-4 times - like a pinkish cloud when I look in the toilet after.  One time yesterday my urine was more of a brownish colour.  But it's all very intermittent. At other times my urine is clear.

Thanks!

User
Posted 22 Aug 2018 at 02:19

Hi Bri.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Looked at your profile too.  Yes, I think I can live with this.  It's certainly preferable to the "gushing faucet" and daily multiple pad changes.

But I am worried I might not be drinking enough fluid to flush out the post-op "bits and pieces".  He said no more than 1.5 litres a day - that's not much when you think about it.

What the medics seem most concerned about is whether you can empty your bladder.  They don't seem to be bothered about how you do it.

Anyway, got to keep looking on the bright side!

Reg

User
Posted 22 Aug 2018 at 07:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Chris.

What exactly do you mean by "signs of a water infection"?

Reg

About 5/6 weeks post op my urine started to have a very pungent smell and there was a slight yellow discharge coming out of the penis, it was also slightly uncomfortable when passing urine and the flow was very slow. Other signs can be discomfort in the bladder and a raised temperature.

The blood etc you describe is often reported by guys on here and is typical of my situation after the RARP and numerous subsequent dilatations, that does not mean you should assume yours is okay , as always if in doubt get it checked out.

Thanks Chris