I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After chemo rise in PSA

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 12:50

today my husband was called by the GP to say his PSA has risen from 0.98 to 4.3 in about 5 to 6 weeks. Therefore he is being referred back to Urology. only finished chemo in June and was discharged from Oncology and back to Urology in three months time. That would be mid OctobeR so we haven’t even had an appointment yet. 

Im worried this seems to be a fast rise so soon. Any experience of this anyone?

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 14:11
Tosteterone levels been checked?? Important that the Hormone therapy is actually working a Tosteterone check would show this..
User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 22:19
Hi SusieW

My husband finished Chemo last October and 3 weeks after PSA was down to 1.1. Bone scan was not good but Onco said rely on PSA but to be on safe side have another one now. That was 2.2 only 5 weeks later. Told have another just in case then 4 and just continued to rise. After nearly 6 months he s now on a drug trial at the Marsden - Ipatasertib (50% chance he is on it) but he is on Abiraterone and has lots of testing and extra scans. PSA was 25 before the drug trial started and after 4 months is down to 3.9. He's not been in pain since Chemo and he is able to do most things but does tire a bit more than before diagnosis.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 16:48
Susie, all we PCa survivors live from one PSA test to the next. That's the new normal. It seems pretty clear that the chemo didn't work but for Abiratetone to knock the PSA down from 25 to 3.9 in four months is great. No doubt the next test will show a further reduction. Celebrate the good news and don't worry about what you can't control!

AC

User
Posted 12 Oct 2018 at 20:45
Oops, my error, sorry.

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 14:11
Tosteterone levels been checked?? Important that the Hormone therapy is actually working a Tosteterone check would show this..
User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 14:37
Not sure about if it was tested. I’ll ask next time I see someone.
User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 22:19
Hi SusieW

My husband finished Chemo last October and 3 weeks after PSA was down to 1.1. Bone scan was not good but Onco said rely on PSA but to be on safe side have another one now. That was 2.2 only 5 weeks later. Told have another just in case then 4 and just continued to rise. After nearly 6 months he s now on a drug trial at the Marsden - Ipatasertib (50% chance he is on it) but he is on Abiraterone and has lots of testing and extra scans. PSA was 25 before the drug trial started and after 4 months is down to 3.9. He's not been in pain since Chemo and he is able to do most things but does tire a bit more than before diagnosis.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 13:09

Just to update, we have an appointment back at Urology next week. It’s been hard not to worry, cancer leaves us with such uncertainty. Hoping for the best and expecting that PSA will be monitored. 

User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 11:13
As I expected we have been asked to wait 6 weeks before another PSA test. Then the consultant will decide if it’s an upward trend or not. Just wondering if anyone has had experience of this PSA rise soon after chemo. I’m so worried and the waiting is getting very hard.
User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 16:48
Susie, all we PCa survivors live from one PSA test to the next. That's the new normal. It seems pretty clear that the chemo didn't work but for Abiratetone to knock the PSA down from 25 to 3.9 in four months is great. No doubt the next test will show a further reduction. Celebrate the good news and don't worry about what you can't control!

AC

User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 18:29
Thanks for the reply Auld Codger. My husbands PSA actually went from 0.9 to 4.3 in 5weeks. It was hiitsme that had that reduction. I know, that most people on here live from test to test. It’s so hard, especially with a sudden rise so soon after the chemo treatment.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2018 at 20:45
Oops, my error, sorry.

AC

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 19:12

So chemo ended in June and PSA has continued to rise. now at 20 after 6 months.  Scans are showing more bone mets. so enzalutamide to start immediately. fingers crossed.

hoping to find others with experience of this drug.