Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Early morning worries

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 06:39

Hi.

I am 48 and had a very slightly elevated PSA (3.something) on several tests at my GPs before being referred to my local hospital.

There I had an ultrasound which was normal and advised I could have an MRI if I really wanted.

I opted for the MRI and then attended the follow up 3 weeks later for what I thought were the normal results. Unfortunately the results had been typed by the doctor but not yet sent by the secretary. So much to my horror I was actually attending for a biopsy with everyone except me knowing the MRI was abnormal. Hence this appointment was a bit of a blur. The doctor told me I had a leision that was a 4 on the MRI but it had not  shown up elsewhere. (I am not totally sure what this means?)

I had the biopsy and was told I would be seen in 2 to 3 weeks for the results. 2 days later I did get the MRI results in the post which told me that I had " lymph node enlargement which was indeterminate "" and they wanted to do a CT scan. ( Really not sure how significant this is) The CT was done 2 weeks later and now my actually appointment with the Doctor has come through for another 3 weeks time. (Nearly 6 weeks since the biopsy).

So feeling a little lost, but must say this forum has been a real help, especially at 4in the morning!

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 15:20

Hi Andrew,

I am sure many of us will identify with your concerns and worries at the moment, especially if you were not anticipating a diagnosis of Pca. The first thing I would offer is the advice to take each test and development one stage at a time. Try not to anticipate the outcome as you'd be surprised at how many men go through the full diagnosis trail to find they are actually clear and their lesions are benign. Indeed the surgeon who did my biopsy related that a patient he'd had the month before showed two sizeable lesions in the Prostate that he'd have put money on being cancerous, and they turned out to be clear. 

The other thing is to remember that this is one of the slowest working cancers you can have. You are still going to be here tomorrow, almost certainly here in five years and a very sizeable survey completed in 2014 showed that even without treatment you have around a 98.5% chance of being here in ten. So don't panic, you're not going anywhere soon :-)

Armed with an MRI, biopsy and CT scan you should by then have the knowledge to know what you're facing and the ability to decide what you want to do about it. Nothing, surgery or hormone/radio therapy essentially. With a very low PSA score you may not be offered a bone scan but if you feel better for having one then discuss it at your meeting.

I found that everything took a month. The MRI was followed a month later by a biopsy, the scans were another month from that and from my first consultation to being told I had Cancer took from last November April this year. During that time it does prey on your mind, and I'm afraid so will making your decision on any treatment should you need it. But that's in the future.

However right now, try focus only on what's next, which you say is your appointment with your Doctor. By that I presume you mean your Urologist rather than your GP, in which case you should have a clearer picture of what your personal circumstances are. 

Good luck and let's hope it's good news. 

Edited by member 28 Aug 2018 at 09:02  | Reason: Typos. Rephrased reference to bone scan.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 09:34
Yep early mornings are the worst!

Well done for insisting on the MRI sounds like the machinery has now been kicked into action BUT 6 weeks of what ifs sounds a bit much so I would press for an earlier appointment even if it's over the phone.

A 4 on the MRI sounds like a PIRAD score 3 is marginal 5 is pretty much a certain cancer.

The next few weeks will be rubbish regardless of your final diagnosis but make the most of it by reading up on PC and it's multitude of treatments, it will allow you to ask the right questions IF you get a confirmed diagnosis.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 09:55

Sorry to read about your situation.

The waiting is very hard especially when it is early morning or middle of the night.

All of us on this forum are in similar positions and many will help you cope.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 09:34
Yep early mornings are the worst!

Well done for insisting on the MRI sounds like the machinery has now been kicked into action BUT 6 weeks of what ifs sounds a bit much so I would press for an earlier appointment even if it's over the phone.

A 4 on the MRI sounds like a PIRAD score 3 is marginal 5 is pretty much a certain cancer.

The next few weeks will be rubbish regardless of your final diagnosis but make the most of it by reading up on PC and it's multitude of treatments, it will allow you to ask the right questions IF you get a confirmed diagnosis.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 09:55

Sorry to read about your situation.

The waiting is very hard especially when it is early morning or middle of the night.

All of us on this forum are in similar positions and many will help you cope.

Ido4

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 15:20

Hi Andrew,

I am sure many of us will identify with your concerns and worries at the moment, especially if you were not anticipating a diagnosis of Pca. The first thing I would offer is the advice to take each test and development one stage at a time. Try not to anticipate the outcome as you'd be surprised at how many men go through the full diagnosis trail to find they are actually clear and their lesions are benign. Indeed the surgeon who did my biopsy related that a patient he'd had the month before showed two sizeable lesions in the Prostate that he'd have put money on being cancerous, and they turned out to be clear. 

The other thing is to remember that this is one of the slowest working cancers you can have. You are still going to be here tomorrow, almost certainly here in five years and a very sizeable survey completed in 2014 showed that even without treatment you have around a 98.5% chance of being here in ten. So don't panic, you're not going anywhere soon :-)

Armed with an MRI, biopsy and CT scan you should by then have the knowledge to know what you're facing and the ability to decide what you want to do about it. Nothing, surgery or hormone/radio therapy essentially. With a very low PSA score you may not be offered a bone scan but if you feel better for having one then discuss it at your meeting.

I found that everything took a month. The MRI was followed a month later by a biopsy, the scans were another month from that and from my first consultation to being told I had Cancer took from last November April this year. During that time it does prey on your mind, and I'm afraid so will making your decision on any treatment should you need it. But that's in the future.

However right now, try focus only on what's next, which you say is your appointment with your Doctor. By that I presume you mean your Urologist rather than your GP, in which case you should have a clearer picture of what your personal circumstances are. 

Good luck and let's hope it's good news. 

Edited by member 28 Aug 2018 at 09:02  | Reason: Typos. Rephrased reference to bone scan.