Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Low risk, lots of symptoms

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 11:40

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm very worried about my husband. He's had urinary symptoms of enlarged prostate for about 2 years and refused to get it checked out. Now, he ticks every single symptom for enlarged prostate AND some for cancer (bloody discharge, ache in the pelvis when sitting, etc). What's frustrating is that he can't see his GP for another 10 days and God knows how long until all other tests and referrals will go through.

I'm looking for someone to say "it's not cancer", I'll take any diagnosis - infection, cysts, stones, just not the dreaded C.

I'm trying to comfort myself with the idea that he's only 38, white, and with no family history, however there is recent study that showed tall overweight men have a much higher risk for aggressive prostate cancer, add that to all the symptoms he's having and and the fact he didn't really take a good care of his health for many years and you get a wife in a state of panic!

I know none of you are doctors and don't have a crystall ball, but please - any hope that this could be something else?

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 12:06
Why don’t you ask your GP for an urgent appointment, i.e. tomorrow?

If the GP fears there is any potential risk of cancer your husband should be seen by a urologist within two weeks, so as to rule it out. Also get a PSA test form whilst at the surgery.

It’s most likely a urinary tract infection combined with benign prostate hyperplasia.

Fingers crossed🤞

Cheers, John

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 16:05

It is quite unusual for a man to be diagnosed with PCa at 38 so long odds are in his favour. As John says, the most likely cause is a UTI which can be bothersome and require antibiotics. Did he actually have a DRE 2 years ago or is BPH just what he/you deduce from symptoms? A DRE could be helpful if pain does not prevent this. A PSA test really needs to be done after any  UTI is eradicated, if this is the reason for his symptoms.

It is quite frequently the case that men seem to want to avoid seeking a medical opinion until symtomst become major. We find this happens a lot on this forum. Women are often far more proactive than men in this respect and it is often they who join us with the interests of their menfolk in mind.

Edited by member 30 Aug 2018 at 18:50  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 16:17
Thanks guys, You nailed a problem on the head! I can't get an "emergency" appointment, because my husband is of the view that "I've waited 2 years, a few more weeks won't make a difference" and I've been telling him to go get checked out ever since the symptoms started, with no luck. So no, he never had a check-up or any tests, just the classic symptoms of BPH. I highly doubt it's UTI though, I've had one of those myself and I could not leave a bathroom for more than 10 minutes all day every day, his mostly flares up early hours in the morning and been constant. Fingers crossed it's prostatitis of some kind and not anything more serious. I know PC is almost unheard of in someone below 40, but then there are the occassional 1 in a 100000 "lucky" ones too....

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 17:22

If this is affecting you psychologically, which it evidently is, an urgent appointment is clearly required, so kick him up the arse and get him down the Doctor’s!

As usual, Barry is correct that UTI’s can affect PSA readings, so really not much point in a PSA until infection has been ruled out. But we are not doctors. Go and see one!

How has he put up with all that discomfort for two years?

Do let us know how it all pans out.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 30 Aug 2018 at 17:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 18:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
... So no, he never had a check-up or any tests, just the classic symptoms of BPH. I highly doubt it's UTI though, I've had one of those myself and I could not leave a bathroom for more than 10 minutes all day every day, his mostly flares up early hours in the morning and been constant. Fingers crossed it's prostatitis of some kind and not anything more serious. I know PC is almost unheard of in someone below 40, but then there are the occassional 1 in a 100000 "lucky" ones too....

He is far too young for BPH to be considered 'just BPH' and self-diagnosis is a very dangerous hobby. Not sure what kind of UTI you had (it sounds like possible cystitis) but the symptoms you are describing for him certainly sound very much like a deep-seated UTI / kidney problem. 

Just as an aside, we are seeing more men in their 30s & 40s joining this forum already diagnosed, and a couple of those already had metastatic spread so I think the rate is rather higher than 1 / 100,000. However, as he rightly says, another 10 days isn't going to make much difference. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 19:53
Maybe having not done anything about it for so long hubby is rather embarrassed to try and jump the queue at his GP's surgery. Surgeries do vary somewhat in the way they process patients but most have at least one nurse. If this is the case, your husband could

ask the receptionist if he could outline his problem to the nurse. He could ask if he could provide a urine sample which the nurse could be instrumental (with GP's approval if necessary) in having checked. If this is done, it could save time in waiting for his appointment with his GP and likely only then providing a sample. Nothing lost in asking!

Barry
User
Posted 17 Sep 2018 at 11:12

So we finally waited out all the appointments and tests. He has no UTI, his PSA is 1.3, which I understand is normal? Phew...

He got prescribed antibiotics for a "gallbladder infection" (which he has NO symptoms of), but the GP did not offer any more explanation or referral for the urinary symptoms or physical exam... I feel totally confused!

It seems they're dismissing his symptoms and not investigating any further. But diagnosed him with non-existant infection and gave him strong antibiotics? Shooting in the dark it seems....

User
Posted 17 Sep 2018 at 12:19
Well good news on the PSA front, but I think a referral to urology would still be a good idea, but evidently your GP thinks not!

Get another GP.

Hope it all turns out for the best.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2018 at 10:11

Worth getting a referral! I have seen an eminent Prof and he did a DRE, was worried one side of my prostate is 'firm' and promptly arranged mpMRI, PSA, kidney and CT scans!

Saw him a week or so ago and everything was fine (PSA 0.7) but my MRI has a PIRADS score of 3, which is annoyingly in the 'equivocal' camp. So I have to wait 3 months and get another scan. Waiting is real torture but he wasn't massively concerned based on the other results (clear CT, bloods).

I have an absolute raft of symptoms - groin pain, frequent urination, pain after urinating, lower back pain, fatigue, lack of sleep and there isn't much that can be done outside of paracetamol and hope it goes away (tried antibiotics but no change). It is a very frustrating road to be on.

Anyway - just more info...I would suggest a urology referral for peace of mind!

Mark