I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

In for LRP!

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 11:09

Well "P-Day" as I've been calling it is in the morning, 07:30 at check in, any useful tips/info for when I wake up and the following 24 hrs would be much appreciated? 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 13:05

Lie back and think of England!

Best of luck, here’s a report on mine three months ago:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16224-Retzius-Sparing-Laparoscopic-Radical-Prostatectomy

Edited by member 02 Sep 2018 at 13:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 17:03

Good luck tomorrow, I hope all goes well. 

I had LRP in July 2015. 

I found although I was nervous I had a resolve to get on and get it over with on P day.

I was fortunate in that when I arrived at 7, it took till about 8:45 to go through pre op prep eg measurements of BP, enema, talking to surgeon to discuss things, talking through things with the anaesthatis, signing consent. 

By the time I went for a seat I was taken thriugh to theatre after 15 minutes so hope you don’t have a long wait.

its a bit daunting when you see the size of the team involved but that is also reassuring. One of the theatre nurse promised me they would take very good care of me and they honoured that promise.

I felt surprisingly well when I came to in the high dependency unit around 3 and 3/4 of an hour later. Although I have to admit I was in and out of consciousness wakening up to find staff doing stuff, they could have been doing anything I didn’t care!

The high dependency charge nurse looking after me was fantastic.

I spent the next 4 or 5 hours there before going up to the ward.

I had oxygen attached, a heavy vessel clipped to the side of the bed to measure and collect my urine output through the catheter. There were also devices round my calves which inflated periodically to prevent clots.

I forgot about them at one point and thought my leg was swelling up.

My wife thought I looked really well, I’m sure that was the painkillers and the oxygen lol.

The next morning I was disconnected from the large overnight catheter vessel and told to go and shower. 

That is the weirdest experience. Showering with a catheter tube dangling from your penis.

My surgical drain bag fell off while I was showering and there seemed to be blood everywhere so I pulled the emergency cord. No dignity having a nurse come in and clean you up before fitting a new drain bag. 

I was then fitted with a leg bag on my catheter. Easy to go for a wee, you just unstrap the bag hold it over the loo and open the valve. Fastest flow rate I had in a long time!

I went short walks around in between rests to get moving.The wounds smarted a bit but heal amazingly quickly.

The staff were great. I had the drain removed the next day and went home.

Catheter removed 11 dayes later.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 17:37

Bilghty

Best wishes for your op,early slot is good, no hanging around.

Drink plenty, eat food that will help avoid possible constipation and listen to your team. 

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 13:05

Lie back and think of England!

Best of luck, here’s a report on mine three months ago:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16224-Retzius-Sparing-Laparoscopic-Radical-Prostatectomy

Edited by member 02 Sep 2018 at 13:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 17:03

Good luck tomorrow, I hope all goes well. 

I had LRP in July 2015. 

I found although I was nervous I had a resolve to get on and get it over with on P day.

I was fortunate in that when I arrived at 7, it took till about 8:45 to go through pre op prep eg measurements of BP, enema, talking to surgeon to discuss things, talking through things with the anaesthatis, signing consent. 

By the time I went for a seat I was taken thriugh to theatre after 15 minutes so hope you don’t have a long wait.

its a bit daunting when you see the size of the team involved but that is also reassuring. One of the theatre nurse promised me they would take very good care of me and they honoured that promise.

I felt surprisingly well when I came to in the high dependency unit around 3 and 3/4 of an hour later. Although I have to admit I was in and out of consciousness wakening up to find staff doing stuff, they could have been doing anything I didn’t care!

The high dependency charge nurse looking after me was fantastic.

I spent the next 4 or 5 hours there before going up to the ward.

I had oxygen attached, a heavy vessel clipped to the side of the bed to measure and collect my urine output through the catheter. There were also devices round my calves which inflated periodically to prevent clots.

I forgot about them at one point and thought my leg was swelling up.

My wife thought I looked really well, I’m sure that was the painkillers and the oxygen lol.

The next morning I was disconnected from the large overnight catheter vessel and told to go and shower. 

That is the weirdest experience. Showering with a catheter tube dangling from your penis.

My surgical drain bag fell off while I was showering and there seemed to be blood everywhere so I pulled the emergency cord. No dignity having a nurse come in and clean you up before fitting a new drain bag. 

I was then fitted with a leg bag on my catheter. Easy to go for a wee, you just unstrap the bag hold it over the loo and open the valve. Fastest flow rate I had in a long time!

I went short walks around in between rests to get moving.The wounds smarted a bit but heal amazingly quickly.

The staff were great. I had the drain removed the next day and went home.

Catheter removed 11 dayes later.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 17:37

Bilghty

Best wishes for your op,early slot is good, no hanging around.

Drink plenty, eat food that will help avoid possible constipation and listen to your team. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Sep 2018 at 22:12

It might be a bit late to say this but I'd recommend ear plugs at night.   Time seemed to fly, I took magazines but didn't read or watch TV at all.  Having a catheter in hospital is useful as you don't need to go to the loo.  All the best.  Peter

User
Posted 03 Sep 2018 at 06:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It might be a bit late to say this but I'd recommend ear plugs at night.

Yes, great idea. The t*** opposite me on the ward, a Catweazle lookalike - who had his curtains drawn all the time - had his TV on around 3am without using his headphones. Moreover, there was an intermittent noise like a mobile ringing all night - I found out next day it was the nurses’ call alarm, but it rang out on every ward of the whole wing! I can’t remember if I had my own plugs or the nurse gave me a pair.

The next night I asked for a sleeping tablet for the first time in 62 years. Oh, and the sister gave the idiot a bollocking.

Hope all goes well.

Cheers, John