I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Apalutamide side effects and prognosis

User
Posted 03 Sep 2018 at 23:28

I found myself with locally advanced proatate cancer in  early 2016. I have been on zolodex since then. I had docetaxel at the early stages and also brachy theropy last year. I got into remission for about 3 months and them the psa started to rise again quite rapidity. Doubling time about 6 to 8 weeks. Currently experiencing radiating discomfort from prostate area. Tumour about 4cm long, have genetic disorder that seems to keep cancer contained. Zero metastases.  Now classed as hormone resistant prostate cancer. Had hodkins disease, lymphoma, and bowel cancer in past and kicked them. Doctors have now put me on apalutamide. Less than 3 weeks in and i am feeling light headed and really quite wierd. I struggle to get much of a perspective on my condition. I am trying to make life choices given that this is not a curative treatment.

Very interested to hear anybody elses views on the apalutamide treatment approach and their take on progress and life quality?

Philip

User
Posted 04 Sep 2018 at 08:37

Hi Philip,

I hadn’t heard of apalutamide so looked it up. Are you on a trial? Results so far indicate it reduces risk of metastasis and death from PC substantially. See below for information so far.

Cancer Research Apalutamide

Apalutamide Trial

List of side effects so far are 

So far, the most common side effects include:

• tiredness (fatigue)

• skin rash.

• joint pain.

• weight loss.

• risk of falls.

• bone fractures.

Hopefully others will come along with more information.

Wishing you all the best,

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 00:10

Thanks for your comments.

I am not on a trial. It's post trial on limited licence from the drug company. Not entirely sure their financial arrangements but grateful for the opportunity. I know it's early days for this drug so we are all learning as we go along. I am hoping it buys me a couple of extra years and keeps things in check.

Very light headed after a couple of weeks into the pills. Can cope with this if I have to. I think the dose needs to be adjusted. Certainly better stay off by bicycle.

Interested in anybody else's experience of the drug. I have reasonable handle on the progression from here. 

I am looking for the impossible,  How do  you handle and plan life with drugs that will only be more problematic for the system to manage. 

I feel in the dark on the progression of my life with this disease and trying to build some control for myself.