I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

'Pick a condition, any condition.'

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 07:20

Brief update... not as wittily irreverent as previous ones, but 'Hey! Them's the breaks.'

Having been told, after the nose-scraping bone-scan, 'it's in yer bones mate'*, I'm yesterday advised 'we aint so sure'*.

*[My paraphrase...
Any suggestion that Chas & Dave are now working as NHS doctors is coincidental.
(But the porter did look a tad Elvis-y - maybe it was the shades and lamé onsesy, because thirty-piece backing bands seem to have become de-rigeur nowadays... hell, even Lidl have 'em at the deli counter.)
Other Chas & Daves may be available.
Always read the label and do not exceed the recommended dose.]

Next time I get one of those 'how was it for you today' feedback cards, I may suggest waiting rooms be suitably enlivened with stuff like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDoQTyYWzM (Or, even: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erGNSQMJ79Q)

...anyway... whether-or-not they're trying to reduce the chemo bill, or perhaps some new intern is simply working their way through a 'medical condition list', current revised view is... cue laughter: arthritis.

Yep. Arfur-itis. That 'focii of uptake' ain't no cancer cluster, but simply 'me ageing sticks and stones'. [Who let Chas & Dave back in? Shut that bl***y door.]

So yeah... next week I may be pregnant. Or dead.

Meantime, as the hormone-block has resulted in 'zero testosterone' (try saying that with a mouthful of Maltesers), I'll continue to eBay-binge on cushions and soft furnishings, while playing my Neil Diamond rekkerds ('You'll Be a Woman Soon' might be particularly apt). Has anyone got an old Lambretta going cheap?

And, when the radiotherapy kicks-in I should be able to 'glow nicely in the dark'... scheduled for November/December, it'll be too late to boost this year's trick-or-treating (is anybody else fed-up with Haribos, or it it just me?) but nicely-timed for a seasonal Xmas delight. At least it'll save on torch batteries.

Edited by member 07 Sep 2018 at 10:42  | Reason: The ghost of Burt Reynolds spoke to me.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 19:55
I look forward to next weeks update with anticipation. At least if you';re pregnant you'll be famous :)

I love the Haribos adverts if not the sweets, though they don;t have the same impact anymore as the first one that came out which used to reduce me to hysterics, no matter how many times I saw it.

Sad innit !!!

Keep on with the humour Gulliver

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 05:56
I always knew you were a hypochondriac!
User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 12:56

Tell them you identify as a woman so this must all be a horrible mistake.

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 08:32
@Johsan...

>I love the Haribos adverts

I never saw them - another gap in my life.

My first experience of Haribos was a 'drawer-full of sticky-stuff (my stepson's sweety-stash) at Wife #3's'.

> Keep on with the humour

Thanks.

@Bollinge...

>I always knew you were a hypochondriac!

Thankyou John.

I'm sure there's a joke to be done about 'yes, I am... and much more besides' - but currently I lack the brainpower to make it, having been recently shocked by the news that I likely have much longer to live than expected.

@Fresh...

>Tell them you identify as a woman so this must all be a horrible mistake.

Indeed. Like much of my life probably. :-)

Moving on...

Oddly, and I realise how daft this'll sound, I feel in some way 'cheated' [of the experience of impending demise]...

Having previously re-oriented myself toward a shortened remaining time, having 'life open-up again' is in some ways as destabilising as the earlier 'you'll be leaving sooner than expected' realisation.

Strange feeling. I was ok about going, and I'll soon be ok again about staying - but it's a gentle+quiet smile rather than dancing-in-the-streets jubilation.

Perhaps, to regain that 'approaching darkness' vibe, I should get my son to give me another ride to Asda - last time it had me wondering whether I should have ticked that 'do you engage in dangerous pursuits?' box on my life insurance.

Anyway, more time etcetera... can't be a bad thing. What could possibly go wrong?

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 08:49
Is it too late to cancel the World Cruise? A simple codicil could revoke your new will and reinstate the old one. Shouldn’t cost much.
User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 06:54

@Bollinge...

Thankyou John - once again, sound advice.

:-)