Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA over 5000 club

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 18:54

Hi everyone

hubby has just completed docetaxil cycle three and doing quite well. Thanks to a lot of helpful tips on here it has not been as bad as expected.

psa was just under 6000 at start of treatment , it has dropped to 4800. We were hoping for a bigger drop than this as we have quite a mountain to climb but I still cannot find anyone who has had or does have a PSA as high as this. we are set to have 10 cycles and as we have exhausted other treatments like radium 223, enzolutamude and bicalutamide, I was hoping to hear from anyone who has had such a high PSA and if chemo managed to reduce it to a manageabke level??

thanks Linda g

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 23:20
Trevor_boothe was 13,000 at diagnosis and lived a mostly good 5 years.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 00:01
Hi my husband had a psa of 6700 at diagnosis in Oct 16 with widespread to bones and lymph nodes.

He has since had hormone treatment and chemo. Psa reduced significantly eventually to single figures but has never reached undetectable. It now seems to be on the rise again.

His doctors have always said that they don’t only take the psa into account but also the results of scans etc.

I hope your husband’s treatment all goes well.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 10:26

Hi valley boy

unfortunately the radium had a negative impact on PSA as it rocketed from the beginning. He managed three infusions but became very sick on and off throughout. His bone markers dropped slightly but bone scans showed a worsening of the spread. Our onco decided to abandon the radium in favour of docetaxil as he was becoming quite poorly, weight loss and vomiting and bone pain.

this was really the first time he had actually felt ill in the four and a half years since diagnosis.

i think his was an unusual reaction to radium 223, it is mostly well tolerated and quite successful in holding back bone problems.

good luck with it and Thankyou for your response.

linda g

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 19:38
Hope everything works out for you. Obviously my PSA wasn’t as high as your experiance but.......

As for Docetaxel I had 6 cycles last year, when first diagnosed, and it brought my PSA down from 1547 to 94.

However went back up to over 700 early this year so had 7 Cabazitaxel infusions which also brought my PSA down slowly, but nothing like the dramatic drop on Docetaxel.

Back up to 412 now so I’ve just started on the Radium 223 “bus” having had my 2nd of 6 infusions yesterday.

Hope this helps, click on my story to date for further details.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 23:20
Trevor_boothe was 13,000 at diagnosis and lived a mostly good 5 years.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 00:01
Hi my husband had a psa of 6700 at diagnosis in Oct 16 with widespread to bones and lymph nodes.

He has since had hormone treatment and chemo. Psa reduced significantly eventually to single figures but has never reached undetectable. It now seems to be on the rise again.

His doctors have always said that they don’t only take the psa into account but also the results of scans etc.

I hope your husband’s treatment all goes well.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 08:57
Linda

Forgot to ask, how did hubby cope with Radium 223? And what effects did it have on his overall health, ALP No’s, and PSA?

Thanks

J.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2018 at 10:26

Hi valley boy

unfortunately the radium had a negative impact on PSA as it rocketed from the beginning. He managed three infusions but became very sick on and off throughout. His bone markers dropped slightly but bone scans showed a worsening of the spread. Our onco decided to abandon the radium in favour of docetaxil as he was becoming quite poorly, weight loss and vomiting and bone pain.

this was really the first time he had actually felt ill in the four and a half years since diagnosis.

i think his was an unusual reaction to radium 223, it is mostly well tolerated and quite successful in holding back bone problems.

good luck with it and Thankyou for your response.

linda g