I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What age for psa test

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 18:36

Hope this is right place to post.Myhusband died of prostrate cancer age 57 in february.his father has had it for 10 years but never wanted treatment for it.and is now 85 and never had pain from it or any other symptoms.his uncle who is 73 has it in his bones after having prostrate removed.I am now worried for my son who is 33.what age do you think he should ask for psa test.My husband went 3 years back and forth to Doc's with different pains in back and hip etc.when he finally had a PSA it was in his bones and he died 14 months later.

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 17:01
I did not say this was my personal view. In fact I advocated more routine testing years ago when there was what was called 'The Great PSA debate.' where eminent physicians and other highly involved representatives for others discussed a motion that men of 50 or those younger but more at risk should be invited to be screened. The motion was carried. The subject has since come up on several occasions. However, it is widely agreed by the medical profession in general and supported by the Government not only in the UK but in other countries that many men who are already treated for PCa suffer unnecessary harm due to the effects of treatment for cancer that will not have been a problem to them and more treated would mean more subject to unnecessary harm due to the effects of treatment. I only stated this reasoning because it has been intimated on the forum that it was all down to cost saving.

You were sufficiently interested to post on this subject Gulliver so having had your say don't cut and run - this shows a closed mind.

Barry
User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 21:13
With your family history it wouldn’t be a bad idea for him to have an £8 (cost to the NHS) PSA blood test to establish a base line.

Then if there is any increase in PSA in future he could take things further.

We do sometimes see men here in their forties with raised PSA.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 23:22
Does your son want to know about his PSA and about things he can do to improve his general prostate health?

If so, he can make some small changes to his diet which may reduce the risk of problems later and he can ask for a PSA test although it might be refused - depends how understanding his GP is. We were advised that our son should be tested from the age of 40 and he is happy to leave it until then but has reduced his dairy and processed meat intake (although he will never completely give these things up) and increased the tomatoes, garlic, etc.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Sep 2018 at 10:36

Put down a baseline PSA at 35, another at 40 go annually from 40 or 45. His PSA cut off for referral should be reduced to 2.5 from age 40. If he breached 2.5 get an MRI first.

Diet, exercise general health go with Lyn’s advice - can only help. Mediterranean diet and plenty of sunshine. 

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 07:31
@Bluebell57...

>what age do you think he should ask for psa test.

'Now' isn't a bad idea.

The usual reasons for 'not having' are that the NHS don't want to spend the money and suggests 'a test can cause needless worry'.

Seems flimsy to me... tests are inexpensive, PCa is relatively common, and too-often not detected sufficiently early. GP willingness varies, and if refused it's worth a 'politely robust' re-request.

The test is available privately - likely cost £100-200.

Remember that 'it's not perfect - roughly 15% of those with normal PSA have Pca, and 75% with raised PSA don't'.

Alternatives include EN2/Mips test (web-search for more info) - which aren't available on NHS.

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 09:23
I think it's not just the cost of the PSA test and concern of men per se, it's because it would lead many more men who had in reality insignificant cancers wanting treatment for them. This would then not only cause the already overstretched NHS additional logistical problems but would mean even more men suffering unnecessary harm. However, men more at serious risk should be PSA tested regardless. Not testing all men routinely at a certain age seems to be the norm not only in the NHS but in many other countries.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 09:36
@Old Barry...

> men who had in reality insignificant cancers wanting treatment for them.

And why-the-*****-not?

Too often in life, the attitude of 'they don't know enough, so better not tell 'em' is used. It's always a poor alternative to fostering appropriate awareness.

> cause the already overstretched NHS additional logistical problems.

'So, we let some suffer and die then'. An 'overstretched NHS' will increasingly have 'logistical problems'... and they should always be a consequence rather than a proactive consideration.

> would mean even more men suffering unnecessary harm.

What harm? You have a test, which helps show whether you do or don't have PCa.

>men more at serious risk should be PSA tested regardless.

Men should be tested regardless.

It should be a norm - as many things have become.

>Not testing all men routinely at a certain age seems to be the norm not only in the NHS but in many other countries.

'And we used to use leeches.'

That something is done in many other countries doesn't attach merit thereto.

Barry, I'm not having a go at you - but at the regurgitative-spread of such stuff.

(And, 'rather get on with and enjoy my life', I'm not interested in discussion so will unfollow this.)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 21:13
With your family history it wouldn’t be a bad idea for him to have an £8 (cost to the NHS) PSA blood test to establish a base line.

Then if there is any increase in PSA in future he could take things further.

We do sometimes see men here in their forties with raised PSA.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 23:22
Does your son want to know about his PSA and about things he can do to improve his general prostate health?

If so, he can make some small changes to his diet which may reduce the risk of problems later and he can ask for a PSA test although it might be refused - depends how understanding his GP is. We were advised that our son should be tested from the age of 40 and he is happy to leave it until then but has reduced his dairy and processed meat intake (although he will never completely give these things up) and increased the tomatoes, garlic, etc.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Sep 2018 at 10:36

Put down a baseline PSA at 35, another at 40 go annually from 40 or 45. His PSA cut off for referral should be reduced to 2.5 from age 40. If he breached 2.5 get an MRI first.

Diet, exercise general health go with Lyn’s advice - can only help. Mediterranean diet and plenty of sunshine. 

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 07:31
@Bluebell57...

>what age do you think he should ask for psa test.

'Now' isn't a bad idea.

The usual reasons for 'not having' are that the NHS don't want to spend the money and suggests 'a test can cause needless worry'.

Seems flimsy to me... tests are inexpensive, PCa is relatively common, and too-often not detected sufficiently early. GP willingness varies, and if refused it's worth a 'politely robust' re-request.

The test is available privately - likely cost £100-200.

Remember that 'it's not perfect - roughly 15% of those with normal PSA have Pca, and 75% with raised PSA don't'.

Alternatives include EN2/Mips test (web-search for more info) - which aren't available on NHS.

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 09:23
I think it's not just the cost of the PSA test and concern of men per se, it's because it would lead many more men who had in reality insignificant cancers wanting treatment for them. This would then not only cause the already overstretched NHS additional logistical problems but would mean even more men suffering unnecessary harm. However, men more at serious risk should be PSA tested regardless. Not testing all men routinely at a certain age seems to be the norm not only in the NHS but in many other countries.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 09:36
@Old Barry...

> men who had in reality insignificant cancers wanting treatment for them.

And why-the-*****-not?

Too often in life, the attitude of 'they don't know enough, so better not tell 'em' is used. It's always a poor alternative to fostering appropriate awareness.

> cause the already overstretched NHS additional logistical problems.

'So, we let some suffer and die then'. An 'overstretched NHS' will increasingly have 'logistical problems'... and they should always be a consequence rather than a proactive consideration.

> would mean even more men suffering unnecessary harm.

What harm? You have a test, which helps show whether you do or don't have PCa.

>men more at serious risk should be PSA tested regardless.

Men should be tested regardless.

It should be a norm - as many things have become.

>Not testing all men routinely at a certain age seems to be the norm not only in the NHS but in many other countries.

'And we used to use leeches.'

That something is done in many other countries doesn't attach merit thereto.

Barry, I'm not having a go at you - but at the regurgitative-spread of such stuff.

(And, 'rather get on with and enjoy my life', I'm not interested in discussion so will unfollow this.)

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 17:01
I did not say this was my personal view. In fact I advocated more routine testing years ago when there was what was called 'The Great PSA debate.' where eminent physicians and other highly involved representatives for others discussed a motion that men of 50 or those younger but more at risk should be invited to be screened. The motion was carried. The subject has since come up on several occasions. However, it is widely agreed by the medical profession in general and supported by the Government not only in the UK but in other countries that many men who are already treated for PCa suffer unnecessary harm due to the effects of treatment for cancer that will not have been a problem to them and more treated would mean more subject to unnecessary harm due to the effects of treatment. I only stated this reasoning because it has been intimated on the forum that it was all down to cost saving.

You were sufficiently interested to post on this subject Gulliver so having had your say don't cut and run - this shows a closed mind.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Sep 2018 at 18:25
Thanks for replies.A the moment he wants to wait until he's 40.He does keep himself quite fit.and has a good diet.well most of the time anyway.and because of his dad he knows what symptoms to look out for.It.s myself that worries the most I think.