I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nails falling off!

User
Posted 12 Sep 2018 at 22:09

My husband has finished chemo ( last one beginning of July) and just on 3 monthly scans, hormone injections and meetings with oncologist. he is glad that is all over but still is very fatigued and can just about manage to walk about 50 metres but the worst of it is all his toe and finger nails are falling off. Has anyone else had the same reaction?

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 00:48
I think it is quite common Maryann, particularly with docetaxel, and when they grow back they may be a bit ridged for a while.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 09:01
Maryann

I realise it’s “after the horse has bolted” in that your OH has already started to loose his nails?

But I’ve had 6 x Docetaxel and 7 x Cabazitaxel infusions without looseing any nails, as during each treatment i used Norwegian formula hand and foot cream on my nails (daily), which prevented them dropping off. Maybe of interest to you with regards to any further chemo?

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 10:08

Thank you. We weren't warned about this side effect and the Doctor when we went to see  her because one nail was infected had no knowledge about it. Though to be fair she did ring the Oncology department to find out more.  

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 10:11

Thank you for that information. His hands and feet are very dry and have been using a recommended cream but will get some Norwegian Formula.