I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

trying to stay postive

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 10:19

hi every one I've just joined  . been diagnosed with prostate cancer 11/8/18 am still in the state of shock at moment, and am very depressed about it joined this site to see how other people are coping ? I've got a m.r.I scan on tue so am dreading that as well its the waiting for the results. I live on my own and have no family to confide in .my p.s.a is 5.8 my gleason score was 3+4  and at T2 I'm 64 years old I have read some comments on here and that does seem to have helped me hope to get some feed back many thanks

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 11:15
The first thing to say is that your feelings are entirely normal. It is a huge shock to be diagnosed with cancer, and waiting for test results is, in many ways, the hardest part of the process. You have a staging and a Gleason score so presumably you've already had a biopsy? Do you know what the MRI is for? Just of the prostate or a whole body scan?

The "good" news is that T2 G3+4 cancer isn't too bad. In the vast majority of cases it's completely curable, and it's very, very unlikely to kill you. The treatment options aren't pleasant, and they can be life-changing in terms of their effects, but you will get through it and start enjoying life again, difficult though that probably is to imagine at the moment.

I'd suggest downloading the "Toolkit" from this site which describes the various treatment options, and also talking to the PC-UK nurses who are wonderful people who can answer all your medical questions.

So try not to panic. You've not been given a death sentence; you've just been diagnosed with a disease that needs to be treated. We've all been there and know exactly what you're going through. You're not alone.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 11:40

You may find it helpful to click on my picture and read my timeline of events, when I started I had no idea of the timescale.
I am T2c, G4+3=7 PSA 39. I have now just started radiotherapy 5 months after being told I have cancer. Every stage is a waiting game.

Edited by member 13 Sep 2018 at 11:41  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 18:42

Yes, I find odd aches appear a week before my tests. The nurse said don't think every pain is related.   A psa of 5.8 is quite low.   It's unlikely body pains would occur with a psa that low.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 14:31

Hi Dave as Chris has said your feelings are very normal I was diagnosed in March of this year the first two weeks  I was just numb and in shock I just felt I was the only one going thru this ,was also a T 2 and G 3 +4 which on the scale of things It's not that bad , you just don't think like that at the the time , now 5 months down the line after treatment I have had two PSA tests both of which are undetectable yet still get nervous going back for the results but I do consider myself to be very fortunate compared to many others and this site will help you thru your journey .Steve 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 15:23

Hi Dave,

All I would say to you right now is “calm down dear”. You have been diagnosed with prostate ‘cancer’ at the lower end of the aggressiveness scale, which goes up to G5+5=10 and stage 4, at which you are nowhere near.

Unfortunately, all cancers are called ‘cancer’, despite each one being a different organism with differerent rates of virulence. Whilst none are pleasant, most are much more dangerous than prostate.

Once you have your MRI result, look into potential treatments, here and elsewhere, and maybe do nothing for the time being. Your doctors will tell you the best way to go, but make sure you swot up on what treatments they are offering, and be sure you are certain that’s the way you want to go.

You are unlikely to die of prostate cancer any time soon if you do nothing, and most likely you will have something else on your death certificate when you croak at a ripe old age.

Best of luck, John

Edited by member 15 Sep 2018 at 16:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 20:32

The bright side of all this is that all the scans you get when you’re undergoing tests for prostate cancer can show up other stuff that’s far more serious. My scans showed an aneurysm which I was later told (after it had been fixed) that I could have literally dropped dead from at any moment, and a localised kidney tumour (now surgically removed) that my consultant said would have killed me within 5 years without a shadow of a doubt had an alert radiologist not spotted it at the edge of my prostate MRI scan. I can honestly say that prostate cancer has saved my life!

Chris

Edited by member 15 Sep 2018 at 20:33  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 11:15
The first thing to say is that your feelings are entirely normal. It is a huge shock to be diagnosed with cancer, and waiting for test results is, in many ways, the hardest part of the process. You have a staging and a Gleason score so presumably you've already had a biopsy? Do you know what the MRI is for? Just of the prostate or a whole body scan?

The "good" news is that T2 G3+4 cancer isn't too bad. In the vast majority of cases it's completely curable, and it's very, very unlikely to kill you. The treatment options aren't pleasant, and they can be life-changing in terms of their effects, but you will get through it and start enjoying life again, difficult though that probably is to imagine at the moment.

I'd suggest downloading the "Toolkit" from this site which describes the various treatment options, and also talking to the PC-UK nurses who are wonderful people who can answer all your medical questions.

So try not to panic. You've not been given a death sentence; you've just been diagnosed with a disease that needs to be treated. We've all been there and know exactly what you're going through. You're not alone.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 11:40

You may find it helpful to click on my picture and read my timeline of events, when I started I had no idea of the timescale.
I am T2c, G4+3=7 PSA 39. I have now just started radiotherapy 5 months after being told I have cancer. Every stage is a waiting game.

Edited by member 13 Sep 2018 at 11:41  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 11:19

hi Chris thanks for your info you have lifted  me up a bit got my letter for M.R.I scan and it says prostate pelvic scan ? have been in touch with nurse who says she will ring with results the week after I've had it done on so its a waiting game , seems like every ache or twinge I get I keep thinking cancer is spreading etc .thanks again for your encouragement Dave

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 11:25

hi phil thanks for the info yes as you say its all about waiting I've got a M.R.I scan on 18/8/18 pelvic prostate area , then wait a week after to get results of that hope to keep tuned in on this site as it gives me a little bit of hope .Hope things going well for you  Cheers dave

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 18:42

Yes, I find odd aches appear a week before my tests. The nurse said don't think every pain is related.   A psa of 5.8 is quite low.   It's unlikely body pains would occur with a psa that low.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 20:23

hi peter I supposed every one falls into that trap alarms bells  start ringing at every twinge am just so glad that I'm on here as its a great moral booster ,as I live on my own it can be difficult at times , have to much time to think negative thoughts once again peter thanks for your input dave

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 14:31

Hi Dave as Chris has said your feelings are very normal I was diagnosed in March of this year the first two weeks  I was just numb and in shock I just felt I was the only one going thru this ,was also a T 2 and G 3 +4 which on the scale of things It's not that bad , you just don't think like that at the the time , now 5 months down the line after treatment I have had two PSA tests both of which are undetectable yet still get nervous going back for the results but I do consider myself to be very fortunate compared to many others and this site will help you thru your journey .Steve 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 15:23

Hi Dave,

All I would say to you right now is “calm down dear”. You have been diagnosed with prostate ‘cancer’ at the lower end of the aggressiveness scale, which goes up to G5+5=10 and stage 4, at which you are nowhere near.

Unfortunately, all cancers are called ‘cancer’, despite each one being a different organism with differerent rates of virulence. Whilst none are pleasant, most are much more dangerous than prostate.

Once you have your MRI result, look into potential treatments, here and elsewhere, and maybe do nothing for the time being. Your doctors will tell you the best way to go, but make sure you swot up on what treatments they are offering, and be sure you are certain that’s the way you want to go.

You are unlikely to die of prostate cancer any time soon if you do nothing, and most likely you will have something else on your death certificate when you croak at a ripe old age.

Best of luck, John

Edited by member 15 Sep 2018 at 16:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Sep 2018 at 20:32

The bright side of all this is that all the scans you get when you’re undergoing tests for prostate cancer can show up other stuff that’s far more serious. My scans showed an aneurysm which I was later told (after it had been fixed) that I could have literally dropped dead from at any moment, and a localised kidney tumour (now surgically removed) that my consultant said would have killed me within 5 years without a shadow of a doubt had an alert radiologist not spotted it at the edge of my prostate MRI scan. I can honestly say that prostate cancer has saved my life!

Chris

Edited by member 15 Sep 2018 at 20:33  | Reason: Not specified