I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Negative MRI is not definitive for diagnosis BUT!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 09:50

Just wanted to share this price of research that may help guys with a negative MRI decide "what next"

https://www.practiceupdate.com/C/73204/56?elsca1=emc_enews_topic-alert

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 10:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Just wanted to share this price of research that may help guys with a negative MRI decide "what next"

https://www.practiceupdate.com/C/73204/56?elsca1=emc_enews_topic-alert

I also subscribe to that journal too, sad or what?

Forewarned is forearmed!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 10:57

Can you summarise. It needs a login

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 11:18

To précis, it refers to secondary biopsies after nothing found on the MRI and first biopsy. And as for “biopsy related morbidity“ no one told me my biopsy could have killed me!!!

TAKE-HOME MESSAGE

This study evaluated prostate biopsy outcomes in a cohort of men with negative MRI and, with paired clinical factors, identified a cohort of men who may be able to safely avoid prostate biopsy. Investigators found that, among all men with negative MRI, 18% harbored clinically significant prostate cancer. No cases of clinically significant disease were identified in men with PSA density less than 0.15 who had previously undergone negative prostate biopsy.

While negative MRI may alone harbor insufficient negative predictive value to avoid prostate biopsy, those with favorable PSA density and prior negative biopsy appear to be particularly well-suited to consider withholding biopsy both to minimize biopsy-related morbidity and to minimize the risk of prostate cancer overdiagnosis.

– Matthew J. Resnick, MD, MPH, MMHC

Edited by member 18 Sep 2018 at 11:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 13:52
Any invasive surgical procedure has the potential to kill you, but a prostate biopsy is probably one of the ones less likely to do so!

Chris
User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 17:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Any invasive surgical procedure has the potential to kill you, but a prostate biopsy is probably one of the ones less likely to do so!
Chris

I guess I probably signed a form to say if they killed me it was alright, but anyway I’m still breathing, so in common parlance, “Whatever”.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 17:20
At least you had a template where the main risk is associated with anesthetic. Us TRUS folks risked getting and unintentional s*** injection and subsequent SEpsis
User
Posted 18 Sep 2018 at 17:33

TISH injection is all the rage in some fields of gastro-enterology these days I gather, except it’s someone else’s s***!