57 year old from Sydney Australia.
After reading a number of posts it would appear that the tyranny of distance doesn't affect Prostate Cancer as we have similar issues.
Diagnosed as potentially having Prostate Cancer from a PSA reading in Dec 2017 and its been a bloody rollercoaster let me tell you.
Being just before Christmas couldn't get in to see the Urologist till February (WTF).
GP booked me in for another PSA test in January and my PSA had risen from 2.6 in May 18 to 4.9 in December 2017 (When it was 1st raised with me) to 5.0 In January. In January they did Free Psa which was 0.6 (12%)
See Urologist and he arranges another blood test and MRI (Also takes a few hundred dollars not covered by medicare)
PSA now 6.7 Free Psa 0.7 (10%)
MRI 15mm Ovoid Right mid gland PZ Nodule PI-RADS 5
Urologist arranges Cytoscopy, Transrectal; Ultrasound and Biopsy.
Everyone too busy lets skip May
Right Lateral Mid Grade Group 3 (Gleason 3 + 4 = 7) percentage High Grade 80%
Left Mid Zone Grade Group 4 (Gleason 4 + 4 = 8) percentage high grade 100%
Number of Cores 8/25
Moderate Prostatic Enlargement
Mild Trabeculation of Bladder
Urologist discusses finding with me. Wants me to get a CT and Bone scan and will arrange for me to talk to an Oncologist and Robotic Surgeon.
Bone Scan done No scan evidence of skelatal Metastasis
CT Scan Right Seminal Vestical Bulky and may be involved nothing else significant.
Met with Oncologist and Surgeon.
This when the proverbial you know what hit the fan.
After my consult with both I decided tio go with the high dose Braccy.
I then proceeded to try and get prices to see what my out of pockets would be.
Basically they would not give me even an estimation without me first booking the procedure and Hospital.
Now I could have just said ok then cancelled but I didnt. I agreed that the costs may vary slightly depependant on the ancillary staff but give me an estimated cost on out of pockets.
It is now the 19th September 2018 and I have not even had a phone call.
Well I had lost all confidence in this urologist and his cronies so I went to my GP and got a referral to get a second opinion.
As I work as a contractor in a couple of hospitals I asked around for the Doctor with the best reputation. There was a consensus so this is the guy I went to see.
Chalk and cheese, this guy rushed things through, rang and made appointments for me and generally made my health seem important.
He explained a lot of things to me and in a small way even contradicted what the previous surgeon had told me then showed me on the scans exactly what he meant.
Problem was it was poor timing as he was about to head oversea's for 6 weeks lecturing and a holiday.
Still he arranged for me to have a PET scan and made sure I had all the costings for surgery and Braccy and has advised he will call me in a couple of weeks to go through it all again in case I have any questions. He also has pencilled me in for Surgery in October if thats what I decide.
The Pet scan also backs up what he was saying about the surgery and trying to save some of the nerves or at least do as little damage as possible. The only down side was a mildly avid left Obturator Lymph Node being noted.
So that's my Prostate story to date BUT
My big issue is deciding what to do.
I am only 57 and since finding out I may have Cancer I have changed my diet and habits drastically. I have dropped my weight from 130Kg to 87 Kg and feel so much better for it.
Married for over 30 years my kids have moved out and my sex life is better than ever (well almost).
No kids around to hear the wife scream or me Beg. lol
We go out more often and already had plans for a big holiday next year as I have long service leave.
After reading so many varying stories on here I am not sure I want to roll the dice on Erectile and Incontinence issues.
Sex is and always has been a cornerstone of my relationship. Its something we both enjoy and as the wife is a few years younger than me iits something I am also unwilling to potentially take away from her as well.
I don't want to be Mr Grumpy, no one seems to understand that although I want to be around for my family, I WANT TO BE AROUND, not some watered down grumpy version of myself. If I was signing a contract where I could have 15 years as life is now or 30 years with the side affects that can be part of this treatment I would without question and without hesitation sign up for the 15 years.
That's the catch 22 in this situation, no one can say what will happen.
To those that have had treatment or decided not too I dip my lid to you as I have never had a harder decision to make. I make no judgements on anyone as we are, thankfully, all different and have different desires and needs.
My Gut tells me: Go the raw food, cut out stress and ride it out way
My Head Tells Me: Try a less intrusive integrated approach with Diet, Exercise/Yoga, IV Therapy, Hyperbaric Oxygen, Hyperthermia, Acupuncture.
The above with regular blood tests and other scans to keep a bit of a check on things.
My Heart Tells Me: Radical Prostate Surgery, Braccy Therapy then anything else I can do to hold on as that's what those I love most want me to do.
Its a dilemma but one I have to face within the next month or so.