I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A good news bit.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2018 at 12:11

This is for anyone waiting, about to have surgery or anyone who want s to hear some good news about PC.

I went for my TWOC today, expecting to be there for 3 to 4 hours, passed first flow rate with flying colours, they say down to having done Pelvic floor exercises up until the day of my op, Histology shows no sign of spread, to soon to say continence is fine but it does seem to feel like I can sort of control it??

For me, it has been a very good outcome, I know I have a while to go before I can be 100% certain, but I feel positive.

If this helps anyone in deciding on which treatment to have, good, for me it was definitely the right choice. (LRP) 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2018 at 17:24
Hi

All the very best with your Surgery. I was as most of us nervous before my Op last week and my experience so far has been very positive with hardly any nausea post op, little pain just mild discomfort from the surgery for a few days and my Catheter was removed yesterday after 7 days and after an initial bit of incontinence it has been fine and I slept last night with no leaking problems although I was going to the toilet around every 2 hours.

I wish you all the best for your surgery and hope all goes well as I am sure it will

let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 18:01

And further to my post, I had my first follow up and blood test result today, undetectable PSA! Bloody fantastic! Just need to get the continence and ED sorted now lol!

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 18:28

That’s great news on the PSA front. 

Ido4

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 21:59
I don’t want to rain on your parade guys but please be aware that there is a very long journey ahead of you.

I am 4.5 years in and still receiving treatment and expect to be for the rest of my life, however long that may be.

One thing I will say about the NHS though that it is marvellous because both my GP and my Oncologist are always on my case.

My GP even has me on full monthly blood tests which includes PSA and Testosterone and I welcome that.

Recently had MRI scan, CT scan and DEXA scan simply because I complained of a bad back which has now got better.

Having another MRI scan in November just to check my back and spine are ok now.

Great monitoring by some excellent doctors.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 22:46
Are monthly tests common with recurrence?
User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 00:11
Not usually, it must just be this GP's preference.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 04:50
After RT and being on HT also still, my Blood tests showed some glaring anomalies.

My Oncologist said it was to be expected but my GP wanted to monitor it closely and continues to do so.

Cost doesn’t appear to be an issue.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 08:22

I‘ve been on three monthly PSA test since after my surgery in July 2015.

.If I had been on monthly tests my recurrence would have been picked up quicker.

My PSA rose from <0.1 to 0.3 between my June and September tests.

I’m not sure if more regular tests would have sped up treatment.

Especially since a GP at my surgery ticked the 0.3 result as being normal! 

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 16:45

Given some of the "drop offs" at my surgery I have had to unpick (e.g. nearly getting a 6 month dose for my second jab) it was a clear message that we are the custodians of our own treatment in many ways.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 17:35
Yes, so many different opinions from doctors. You really need to keep your eye on the ball.