I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy frequency

User
Posted 30 Sep 2018 at 22:08

Hi,  what is anyone’s experience of the frequency of biopsy’.  I had a TRUS biopsy in 2015 when I got diagnosed and I am currently on active surveillanc.  I had another biopsy in 207 for a medical trial that I took part in. My consultant now wants me to have a template biopsy in March next year.  Is this what others had had?

User
Posted 30 Sep 2018 at 23:15
Hi Sully, yes a template biopsy seems sensible. Your cancer appears to have remained stable for 4 years but the urologist perhaps just feels now that he needs a more detailed picture of where the cancer is and whether it is getting nearer to the edge. Now that s/he has decided that is the best course of action, I would be asking why it is necessary to wait until next March - might be better to just get it done now?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 15:22

Hi Sully,

Beware of the TRUS biopsy, template biopsies are much more accurate, especially with a vague situation such as yours. And you can have repeated TRUS tests for the information that one template could provide.

Why the NHS persists with them is beyond me? £££s? Another contributor here will disagree, so I will defer to this gentleman’s far greater knowledge. He‘s one of Britain’s top prostate cancer oncologists:

https://vimeo.com/169926390

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 01 Oct 2018 at 15:24  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Sep 2018 at 23:15
Hi Sully, yes a template biopsy seems sensible. Your cancer appears to have remained stable for 4 years but the urologist perhaps just feels now that he needs a more detailed picture of where the cancer is and whether it is getting nearer to the edge. Now that s/he has decided that is the best course of action, I would be asking why it is necessary to wait until next March - might be better to just get it done now?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 08:19
Thanks for the replies, I am still happy to be on active surveillance, i am a bit more worried at the moment as i only have 6 months to go to reach the age when my brother was diagnosed and started his radiotherapy, I did ask about just getting the operation done 3 months ago, my consultant advised that there was no need to go down that path at the moment, so i have taken his advice, maybe this is why he wants the template biopsy done, just to make sure. I am probably worrying about nothing, so will just have to get it into my head that my cancer is not like my brothers and i will have a different pathway.
User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 15:22

Hi Sully,

Beware of the TRUS biopsy, template biopsies are much more accurate, especially with a vague situation such as yours. And you can have repeated TRUS tests for the information that one template could provide.

Why the NHS persists with them is beyond me? £££s? Another contributor here will disagree, so I will defer to this gentleman’s far greater knowledge. He‘s one of Britain’s top prostate cancer oncologists:

https://vimeo.com/169926390

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 01 Oct 2018 at 15:24  | Reason: Not specified