Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA levels 1 year after Radiotherapy and Hormone Therapy

User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 22:27

After 20 sessions RT and 6 months Zoladex HT my PSA was 0.01

Now a year after finishing RT my PSA has risen to 0.78 and 4 weeks later to 0.86.

My testosterone level is 35 nmol/L which is top of the levels, esp for my age.

I understand PSA rises after HT has left the body, but is this PSA level normal at this stage?

I understand that RT can take some time before it has it’s maximum effect.

Is this ‘PSA bounce’ that I’ve read about.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 23:56
You still have a prostate and the healthy cells will be regenerating following the radiotherapy. Healthy cells produce some PSA so you should not be concerned - the medics may get a little worried if your PSA goes over 2.0

The nadir is usually around 18 months - 2 years after RT finished.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Oct 2018 at 11:13
The masking effect of HT will now have gone and if you can get approval I would try to have PSA test done every 3 or 4 months so a trend can be established. The PSA of some men tends to rise to a level then pretty much stabilize but as Lyn says, RT is still working up to 2 years post RT so you have a better idea of your situation at this point unless PSA tests show a more rapid and significantly high climb in the meantime.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Oct 2018 at 23:56
You still have a prostate and the healthy cells will be regenerating following the radiotherapy. Healthy cells produce some PSA so you should not be concerned - the medics may get a little worried if your PSA goes over 2.0

The nadir is usually around 18 months - 2 years after RT finished.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Oct 2018 at 11:13
The masking effect of HT will now have gone and if you can get approval I would try to have PSA test done every 3 or 4 months so a trend can be established. The PSA of some men tends to rise to a level then pretty much stabilize but as Lyn says, RT is still working up to 2 years post RT so you have a better idea of your situation at this point unless PSA tests show a more rapid and significantly high climb in the meantime.
Barry