Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PaulieWalnuts in Massachusetts

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 17:45

Hello,

It was suggested that I start a new thread.

Recently diagnosed (9/11/18), my second biopsy (the first in 2015, was negative), was a fusion biopsy combining the MRI images (they found suspicious lesions) with the ultrasound biopsy procedure. Results, Gleason 6, low grade on three biopsy cores. It's contained in the prostate.

I'm was assuming Active Surveillance and get on with my life. However, the Doctor says my PSA above 10 (11.6) makes me T2, so we need more tests. I'm currently 2.5 weeks into a one month wait for results on genomic testing to find out how aggressive the cancer is. I've never had any negative symptoms, just some urination urgency and a slowly increasing PSA 5.0 in 2014 has risen to 11.6 in June 2018.  I've had a few very depressed days since the diagnosis. The funny thing is, I had a feeling that there would be a little cancer found, but the delay and uncertainty is what was killing me mentally. I've only shared my diagnosis with my wife and our best friend couple. My family includes a hypochondriac and I don't need the constant attention  (and competition) that she would bring. Luckily, some kind, supportive words from some new friends on another forum really pulled me out of my funk. 

Although, I had assumed AS would be the easiest option, I'm now concerned that it may just put cancer in my daily thoughts. I'm 56, so I'll need to deal with this at some point. I'm hoping to live to a ripe old age! Side effects are certainly a concern, given how long some of you have had to deal with them. So, I'm waiting for test results, then we'll determine the next step(s).

Stay strong everyone! Hopefully we'll all get through this together.

Paul

Edited by member 08 Oct 2018 at 14:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 20:11
Paul, waiting for test results is the most stressful part of being diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it can feel like an eternity. It took three and a half months for me from PSA test to starting treatment. It’s entirely normal to feel depressed during this time. If it gets serious, though, do go and see your GP. Mine put me on Sertraline, an anti-depression and anti-anxiety drug which worked wonders for me.

Believe me, though, you will come to terms with it all. I had a long period of time where I thought about nothing but cancer from the moment I woke up in the morning to the moment I went to sleep at night, but now my treatment has started (hormone therapy to be followed by radiotherapy next Feb or so, in my case) I’m enjoying life again and I hardly ever think about the fact I’ve got prostate cancer (and if I do think about it, it doesn’t worry me).

If you’ve any medical questions I’d strongly suggest talking to the PCUK nurses. They’ve very knowledgeable and I’ve found them extremely useful since my PSA test back in May. They (and this forum!) have really helped me on my journey.

All the very best,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:22

This research paper might help deals with g6 and 10 plus PSA

http://prac.co/l/y9fdl9yn

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 20:11
Paul, waiting for test results is the most stressful part of being diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it can feel like an eternity. It took three and a half months for me from PSA test to starting treatment. It’s entirely normal to feel depressed during this time. If it gets serious, though, do go and see your GP. Mine put me on Sertraline, an anti-depression and anti-anxiety drug which worked wonders for me.

Believe me, though, you will come to terms with it all. I had a long period of time where I thought about nothing but cancer from the moment I woke up in the morning to the moment I went to sleep at night, but now my treatment has started (hormone therapy to be followed by radiotherapy next Feb or so, in my case) I’m enjoying life again and I hardly ever think about the fact I’ve got prostate cancer (and if I do think about it, it doesn’t worry me).

If you’ve any medical questions I’d strongly suggest talking to the PCUK nurses. They’ve very knowledgeable and I’ve found them extremely useful since my PSA test back in May. They (and this forum!) have really helped me on my journey.

All the very best,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:22

This research paper might help deals with g6 and 10 plus PSA

http://prac.co/l/y9fdl9yn

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:48
Francij1,

Thank you! That's very encouraging.

best,

Paul

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 14:12

Chris,

I think I'm at that 24/7 "think about cancer" stage. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in my experience.

Best,

Paul

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 18:22
You're definitely not alone, Paul. It's a huge shock to be diagnosed with cancer, and it does take a long time to come to terms with. Hang in there - you'll get through it!

Chris

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 14:17

I had a nagging feeling on Friday that I should call my Doctor and inquire about the Prolaris genomic test results. It was a week and a half before the results were supposed to be available. Surprise, the results were in. The Doctor later called and said that the results showed that the cancer was not very aggressive, 13%, and that he is recommending Active Surveillance and regular monitoring. I agree this is our best option and we'll reevaluate at the next PSA test in December. This has certainly taken a bit of the "unknown" off my mind. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wise counsel.

Paul

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 18:55

Great news Paul, I love your forum name😀😀😀

I agree that after a period of reacting to having cancer!!!!, it becomes just a background issue to our lives not worth waiting a good thought on.

At your level, there is good reason to not even think of it as cancer in the normal sense, this article will help you to achieve this state. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/808654

Good luck

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 19:08

Tykey,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the article. The name came about because a number of folks I work with enjoyed the "Soprano's" and enjoyed adding the New York/New Jersy accent when they gave me the nickname. Forward 10 years to an issue with my "walnut sized" (seems to be the standard unit of measure) prostate, the connection was inevitable. When my wife makes a joke and calls me Paulie Walnuts, I respond "No, Paulie's walnut has the problem!"

Best,

Paul 

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 20:34

Paul, that link I gave you, might not work well, so here's another, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4322920/