I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy prep

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 21:16

Hello everyone, new to this forum and a little anxious about my radiotherapy treatment. At first I struggled with holding a full bladder, got to grips with that and now I'm told I have a large bowel and im not emptying it enough!! They tell me if it's not empty I could have problems further down the road. I have had 22 sessions with 11 to go. Today they called me to come in and have another scan before my preparation tomorrow. They said they would explain tomorrow but I'm now worried I have to start all over again. Any ideas what's in store for me.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:22
Well you certainly wouldn't be asked to start all over again - there is a strict limit to the amount of radiation a person can be exposed to. They may just want to have a really good look at how well you are emptying or to rewrite the computer programme to accommodate the position of your bowel. It might simply be that they want to change your diet advice.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 09:31

Lyn is right, a lot of us have to be steered through the minefield, being sent out because we have a bladder which is too full or empty, too much gas, or we need to have another number 2.

They are just trying to help you arrive at each session with your insides in a consistent state. It's just part and parcel of our adventure. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:22
Well you certainly wouldn't be asked to start all over again - there is a strict limit to the amount of radiation a person can be exposed to. They may just want to have a really good look at how well you are emptying or to rewrite the computer programme to accommodate the position of your bowel. It might simply be that they want to change your diet advice.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 22:39

Thank you for your reply.You have put my mind at ease, will see what they say tomorrow and let you know. 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 09:31

Lyn is right, a lot of us have to be steered through the minefield, being sent out because we have a bladder which is too full or empty, too much gas, or we need to have another number 2.

They are just trying to help you arrive at each session with your insides in a consistent state. It's just part and parcel of our adventure. 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 18:26

Had a CT scan today on a full bladder  and spoke to the oncologist. There was just a little concern about my bowel so they are going to take a look at the scan and change their aim a tad i guess. Oncologist was overall positive which made me relax, so should restart my last 12 radiotherapy sessions by the end of next week.