Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostrate Cancer Early stage

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 11:00

I need help and advice please .

My dad had one of his prostrates removed couple of years ago. He went for a Biopsy test last week and result came back with High PSA =31.

Histology test was carried out and it shows he has early stages of prostrate cancer . He is currently in Africa and would like him to be treated in the UK on self funded. The former procedure was done in India and test result before the surgery did not show any sign of cancer.

Please any recommendation and advice would be appreciated. I have the test result with me if anyone wants to see it.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 11:38

Mrken

We only have one prostate,do you mean he had a testicle removed a couple of years ago.Was a biopsy taken from his prostate, please clarify.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 05 Oct 2018 at 13:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 12:04

Hi Ken,

Sorry you join us due to the situation of your father.

Firstly, I have never heard of a man having more than one Prostate and from what you say this was removed because it was very enlarged (BPH). I think you mean that he had a PSA blood last week which gave his PSA as 31 rather than a biopsy. I would have though that when his Prostate was removed it would have been examined for cancer but it is possible that some cancerous cells escaped and have caused his PSA to be elevated. There are other reasons for an elevated PSA but this does seem rather high for them.

If Dad is to self fund, I would suggest that he makes contact with one of the leading UK hospitals which might include but not be confined to Guys, the Royal Marsden or UCLH in London and sends them his histology with a view to further investigating his situation as a private patient. It is likely that he will have (a) scan(s) to help establish the extent of his problem and recommend appropriate treatment . If cancer is sufficiently near the Prostate bed it might be possible to treat with radiation or even if there are a very few metastases. However, if cancer is believed to be elsewhere, or more extensive he may be recommended a systemic treatment as deemed appropriate by his consultant.

Wish him well

PS

I have just seen the previous reply which is another explanation for a testicle rather than a Prostate being previously removed.  If this assumption is the case, surgical removal of the Prostate or radiation to it might be possible.  In any event, contact the private patient inquiries of the hospitals as suggested. Actually, I think this more likely as you head this as early stage, which it would not be if he had had his Prostate removed.  It is important that information provided is correct.

Edited by member 05 Oct 2018 at 12:21  | Reason: Not specified

Barry