I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transport for radiotherapy at a hospital 20 miles away?

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 16:22

My husband has been on Decapeptyl injections since the beginning of the year, when he was diagnosed, but now his PSA levels are slowly rising.  We saw the consultant last week and my husband will be having a CT scan to see if the cancer has spread.  This will then give them the information to decide on the next method of treatment.  However, the consultant did mention that radiotherapy may be a possibility.  This is OK, but, not content with worrying about my husband's health, I'm now worrying about how we would get to the only hospital that does it in our area - 20 miles away - if that is what he needs.  My husband drives, but I don't and I'm concerned that he won't feel well enough to drive all that way and back daily for three weeks, which is what the radiotherapy course would be, apparently.  We don't have family around who could take us and the taxi fare would be astronomical.

Has anyone else been faced with this?  Any thoughts or ideas would be very useful. 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 16:38
You could ask at the hospital if they have a service that covers your area or whether the council do this or even get advice from social services. The big draw back to the arrangement whereby a number of people are picked up and later taken home after appointments it that it can take the best part of a day to complete. I think availability varies from one area to another so agree it requires investigation for eventualities.
Barry
User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 16:46

I live about 20 miles from where I had RT and the hospital arranged transport for me. They had a taxi company on contract and the drivers would pick up all people from each locality.  Now I think they use individual drivers.

it may be worth speaking to the hospital about it to see if they can offer this.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 16:59
Thank you both for your replies. I'll definitely speak to the hospital about it, if it looks as though that will be the next option. I always like to begin worrying early, when, in fact, they may not even want him to have radiotherapy! Thanks again, very helpful.
User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 17:28

I'm 20 miles away from my treatment center, and I found driving easy enough. I did get tired after the RT, but that kicked in an hour or so after each session, by which time I was back home. I was OK again by the next morning. 

Because of parking difficulties, on occasion I drove about 5 miles and picked up a direct bus which dropped me off at the treatment door, which was lucky. I even got a bus pass so it was very cheap. 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 19:16

It might be worth checking with your Council, hospital and GP surgery about local volunteer driver services. In this area we have a Link service and I am one of the volunteer drivers. Anyone wanting to use the service phones the co-ordinator who arranges for a driver to take the person where they need to go and will wait to  bring them home. I receive a mileage allowance but the customer is given a plain envelope and if they wish to make a donation they can do so in the knowledge that nobody knows what they paid. We hold fund raising events to make up the shortfall and get a small grant to help out. You may have a similar scheme where you live.

I drove myself the 94 mile round trip for my RT sessions with no problem but we are all different.

All the best

Kevan 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 19:56
Thank you so much, Tykey and Kevan. That you both drove to your RT sessions with no problem has made me feel much better. As you'll know, this whole thing is stressful enough without additional worries like this. Much appreciated.
User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 20:01
When I have my RT in Feb I'll have a journey of 35 miles each way, so it is reassuring that other people have managed to drive OK throughout their treatment.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 20:09
I agree Chris, it is reassuring. I hope your treatment goes well.
User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 20:36
Tony had to drive over 40 miles each way and he managed ok, trouble with hospital transport is you have to be ready really early so can be sitting about at home for a couple of hours waiting and then same coming home, if he can manage he is better off driving himself. x

User
Posted 05 Oct 2018 at 21:18
Thank you, Essexbabe, that's very reassuring.