Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi I'm new here

User
Posted 07 Oct 2018 at 16:43

Hi all.

I just received my diagnosis on Wednesday morning and it is still sinking in. My Gleason scores are 3/4 for the left part of the prostate, and 4/3 for the right. I have a PSA of 11.9.

I have a bone scan on Tuesday. I am expecting an MRI 3/4 weeks after? As it was two weeks from my biopsy when I got my diagnosis.

I am feeling very fatigued. I just went out for a couple of hours, saw some friends and did a small shop. Now I am wiped out.

I have been told that I will either need a prostatectomy or radiotherapy.

Hope this is sufficient info? Oh and I'm 52.

Harold

User
Posted 07 Oct 2018 at 18:46
Hi Harold,

As always, it’s a shame you didn’t have an mpMRI before biopsy, which is best practice, and I presume your biopsy was a rectal “quickie” - TRUS.

Did you get a grade group score like T?N?M?, and were you given the combined Gleason score, and how many cores were sampled in total and how many were cancerous?

Please come back with that info, and there are loads of people here who will be able to offer advice and support.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 07 Oct 2018 at 19:16
You wil know what you are dealing with when you have your MRI and bone scan. Until then you won’t know your M or N score. They should have been able to indicate the T score from the biopsy eg T2a T2b

Believe it or not you will feel better when you know what you are dealing with. Until then if you haven’t already download the toolkit from the PCUK website. That will help you to prepare for your consultation

Bri
User
Posted 07 Oct 2018 at 19:36
Yes, it's unfortunately the case that some hospitals still do the biopsy before the MRI. It means that the prostate must have several weeks to heal before an MRI will give a good scan. A few weeks is unlikely to make a great difference to the progress of cancer because PCa is generally a slow growing cancer but it does prolong the anxiety.

Sometimes the preliminary staging given after biopsy can be changed after MRI. Mine was originally given as T2A but was upgraded to T3A following MRI, so you really need all test/scan results to be considered before a diagnosis is given.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 07:56

Thanks John, Bri, Barry

My scores both added to seven. TBH I was a bit floored by what the nurse said and didn't ask for additional detail.

I am also taking Tamsulosin, it has helped with the amount I was needing to pee.

What about the fatigue? Is it normal. I was scared by it yesterday. I have just woken up though and I feel fresher today.

What do people think about me excercising now? From what I am reading here the pelvic muscles are key for my future continence. Are there excercises I can do now to help?

Cheers

Howard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 08:15
Exercise is good for you regardless. You probably feel tired with the stress of it all. If you are considering surgery it will help if you start the pelvic floor exercises

Bri
User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 08:37
Hi Harold, welcome to the forum.

Prior to my TRUS biopsy I was prescribed Tamsulosin to help reduce the number of times I needed to pee. Although the medication helped with that aspect I gave them up after 3 weeks because I got really bad joint pain in my back and hips, so much so I couldn't get out for my daily walk.
I was fine within a couple of days of stopping the meds.
I recognise everyone reacts differently to meds but if your feeling fatigued maybe part of the problem.

John
User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 13:01

Thanks John

Good to meet you. The Tamsulosin has been giving side effects but I don't think it is causing the fatigue. But, what do I know!

It is giving sore dry eyes though. The benefits are outweighing the negatives.

I have just walked into town which is positive and this Costa tastes great.

Another member suggested the fatigue could be stress. I can identify more with that idea.

Do you have any thoughts on pelvic floor excercises?

Best

Howard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 13:02

Hi Bri

I felt better today so walked into town

Can you point me at a good source for pelvic floor excercises?

Best

Howard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 17:25

Please don’t worry about how you feel, it’s a natural response to the shock. It‘s a lot to take in at first. I suggest you give the nurses on the Prostate UK helpline a call. They were a great support to me and patiently answered all my questions. There are also some very good instructions re pelvic floor exercises on the website. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-us/news-and-views/2014/9/the-manual_-pelvic-floor-exercises

Wishing you all the best

Mike

Edited by member 08 Oct 2018 at 17:27  | Reason: Added link

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 17:40

Hi and thanks Mike

Howard