I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 6 weeks after surgery

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 18:54

Just received my PSA result 6 weeks after surgery it was 0.006 is this a good result?

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 20:01

That's a brilliant result.  Mine was 0.014 after my prostatectomy.  I sadly needed salvage radiotherapy.  My PSA has now fallen to less than 0.006, which, my oncologist says, is the lowest reading the machine in my hospital can give.

The medical team will be very happy, but they will also look at your starting point and whether you had positive margins etc in deciding what, if anything, to do next, which will probably be let's wait and see what happens.

Ulsterman

User
Brilliant result - have a celebratory drink tonight :-)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Oct 2018 at 20:51
I met with surgeon today and he had pathology report , it was as at diagnosis Gleason 7 (3+4), the cancer was contained but close to the periphery, which they thought might have needed radiotherapy but with the psa being so low, he felt confident to say I am 98% cured and I have next psa test in 6 months, I came out very happy and so glad it was found when it was.

User
Posted 09 Oct 2018 at 21:20
Well I think your surgeon is a tad over-excited to go for a figure of 98% but who cares - don't overdo the celebratory alcohol 👍
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User

That's a brilliant result.  Mine was 0.014 after my prostatectomy.  I sadly needed salvage radiotherapy.  My PSA has now fallen to less than 0.006, which, my oncologist says, is the lowest reading the machine in my hospital can give.

The medical team will be very happy, but they will also look at your starting point and whether you had positive margins etc in deciding what, if anything, to do next, which will probably be let's wait and see what happens.

Ulsterman

User
Brilliant result - have a celebratory drink tonight :-)

User
Posted 08 Oct 2018 at 23:08
I see the surgeon tomorrow for rest of pathology results. At diagnosis psa was 9.1, so fingers crossed all is well and they’ve removed it all.
User
Posted 09 Oct 2018 at 15:41

Hi RWM

sounds good to me, mine was 0.003 after 11 weeks

User
Posted 09 Oct 2018 at 20:51
I met with surgeon today and he had pathology report , it was as at diagnosis Gleason 7 (3+4), the cancer was contained but close to the periphery, which they thought might have needed radiotherapy but with the psa being so low, he felt confident to say I am 98% cured and I have next psa test in 6 months, I came out very happy and so glad it was found when it was.

User
Posted 09 Oct 2018 at 21:20
Well I think your surgeon is a tad over-excited to go for a figure of 98% but who cares - don't overdo the celebratory alcohol 👍