Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bad reaction to first chemo, advice sought

User
Posted 10 Oct 2018 at 10:19

Hi all

Had my first docataxel chemo session last Monday, felt okay for the next three days but Thursday I had my 2nd (first 3 monthly) Prostap jab.

Friday I started to go downhill, temperature was all over the place, 35.5-37.5, Saturday night I felt very poorly so went to bed early. My lower back started aching and the pain over the next few hours was off the scale. Finally about 3am I phoned the Chemo helpline and although it took them over an hour to get back they sent a night doctor out who brought me some Morphine sulphate and strong cocodomol.

This more or less alleviated the pain in about 20 mins and Sunday I felt much brighter and managed a bit of lunch. Sunday teatime I started feeling bad again and the diarrhea started which culminated in 10 minute trips to the khasi. This continued throughout the night I started on the Imodium but it had little effect. When I was a kid at primary school dozens of us caught a dysentry bug which kept me off school for weeks but this post chemo diarrhea was much worse, my backside was like a broken soda syphon, once I got the stomach cramps i had about 5 seconds to hit the pot, it was that bad, must have made 30 visits in all.

I had nothing to eat Monday just drank loads of water couldn't face taking my meds i felt so drained and poorly, the poos stopped about 6pm Monday and yesterday I managed a bit of toast and a scrambled egg. Today I'm a bit brighter but still weak and physically feel 10 years older.

I'm sure my experience wasn't typical, my next Chemo is scheduled for 22/10/18, I'm dreading it, I see my Oncologist on 19/10 and i'll tell him all the above. I'd be interested to know how other people with PCa on prostap and doxatel got through their sessions.

Was taking the two medications 3 days apart too much for my body to cope with?

John 

User
Posted 10 Oct 2018 at 17:00
John, I don't think there is any interaction between the prostate and docetaxel. The jab of the former was after all a top-up to what was already in your system.

I think you have experienced the usual problems of docetaxel side effects but in a pretty extreme way. I have had both constipation and diahorrea during docetaxel cycles. It can be quite hard to get the balance right between anti-nausea meds to deal with the docetaxel effects, knowing that the anti-nausea tablets (on top of the steroid and anti-nausea stuff you were given intravenously) often cause constipation and the fact that diahorrea can be a docetaxel effect.

My own experience was that days 3 and 4 were often the most difficult from this viewpoint but I did find as I had subsequent cycles that I learned how to adjust the timing and dosage of anti-nausea tablets ( and dropped domperidone in favour of metaclopromide) to ease my passage (sorry!) through the cycle. I never did get rid of at least some constipation followed by its antithesis in the cycle and I was very glad when cycle six came to an end! Others on here have had many more cycles and a much easier passage (sorry again) through docetaxel treatment. Just goes to show how differently we can react to the stuff, I guess.

Another thought - dehydration can be an effect of actually being sick and I didn't always recognise that I needed a higher fluid intake. You may find that making a conscious effort to drink more will help.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 13:15

Thanks AC

Feeling so much better now. I'm on metoclopramide for anti nausea and lansoprazole to help prevent stomach acid/ulcers as well as the prednisolone the anti inflammatory steroid.

I was wondering when my Chemo finishes next year and I'm on 3 monthly PROSTAP jabs, what other medication will I be offered, if any?

Thanks

John

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 18:33
John, worry about that next year! It all depends on how successful the chemo is. In my case I was kept on prednisolone, which did absolutely nothing for me! You may be offered abiraterone or enzalutamide, if the chemo doesn't do the job. I hope further treatment proves unnecessary.

AC

User
Posted 17 Oct 2018 at 04:59

Major factor with Chemo is dehydration.

2 litres of water a day should be minimum intake. No tea/coffee after 5pm as they are diuretics.

anti-sickness and lanzoprazole as needed. Be careful with diaorehha stuff as it can turn the other way and constipate you which is just as bad.

morpheine for pain relief but be careful with dosage as this causes constipation also. Stomach cramps can be treated with Buscopan as needed.

remove all non natural sugar from your diet, sugar in fruit/berries is fine and sweetner a substitute for granulated or refined. Cut down red meat and processed meat/food and go the route of proteins, casseroles and veg. Yes the 5 a day is the way for PCa.

listen to your body and if your tired go to bed and relax.

Water, water and more water. Wash out the chemo toxins asap and it will speed the recovery factor.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 14:42
Thanks for words of advice, at my Onco meeting on 19/10 I described the torrid time I'd had with Chemo1 (docataxel) so he recommended we lower the dose from 148mg by 25% to 108mg.

I've had no problems at all, felt a bit "jetlagged" last week after Monday session but one week on I feel fine and no adverse effects this time.

Chemo 3 is scheduled for 12/11, should I stick with the lower dose or go back up to a full dose again?

User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 14:56

With it being 3rd session I would go with lower dosage and the judge your tolerance by drinking the fluids and a bit of diet change.

If ok then maybe increase for cycle #4.

Good luck with it.