I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Memory Loss

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 07:11

Another blow 👋. Boy are we struggling currently. T is 73, wears hearing aids and is suffering major memory loss. The experts think it’s due to piss chemo, a previous tia or age related (73).  After repeating throw away convos I then have to explain exactly who I’m talking about, how he knows them and what I mean.  I become reticent at starting conversations and soon we’ll be down to just sign language for tea? Ok?   We are becoming more and more isolated from one another and frustrated with each other fearing another blow up cause our comm skills are so tenuous.   PC has taken so much of our previously lovingly  relationship away how can I prevent it taking away chatting ? 

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 09:38
Hi Diana

Sorry to hear your difficulties.

Severe illness can simulate or bring on dementia symptoms so I would suggest you get this looked at.

Have your husband's medical team discussed any treatment or support for this?

As well as following this up as a side effect of PCa, I suggest you follow this up in it's own right. Your GP can organise tests to get a better understanding of what is happening but will need poking.

May I also suggest you get some advice and help from groups such as the Alzheimers society in terms of diagnosis, treatment and support. It may not be Alzheimers per se but if not they will be able to guide you to those who can help.

I understand how frustrating it must be dealing with your husband's condition, and I know it is hard, but without engagement and contact he will struggle more and more. This is why getting help is important - you need support so you can help him.

Good luck

P