I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence Pads on the NHS

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 13:07

1 week after having my catheter removed after RRP I have spent about £25 on pads.  I was only given a couple by the nurse.  My doctors will not prescribe me pads but instead have referred me to the district nurse.  I have enough pads to last me about 4 days.  Am I entitled to free prescribed pads and if so which is the quickest way to get them?  Thanks

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 14:15

AnonMale

Not sure there is a quick way, if you have an incontinence service in you area you could try them but you will probably need an appointment and possible assessment.

Are you buying at the right price Sainsbury's sell a pack  of 10  tena2 for £3. How many are you using per day how much do leak and how often. At one point I was leaking a few MLS at least once an hour, rather than walk round with a soiled pad I wrapped some toilet roll in a nappy liner and changed the tissue when I leaked. I still wore the pad with the tissue and liner in case of major leaks.  The nappy liners can be rinsed if you want to go that far. Again Sainsbury's sell nappy liners, about £3 for 100.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 15:00

Sorry you have some post-operative incontinence, but depending on the volume of it, someone here a few weeks ago recommended Aldi new-born nappy liners, or something like that.

I think some here have had NHS freebie pads, and yet others have had to pay. A post-code lottery?

I got away with just one box of 14 Tena lights from Boots, and still have a couple left over. I’m a lucky lad.

As our Matron here helpfully points out, once you have a Big C diagnosis you are entitled to free NHS prescriptions for at least five years, regardless of age. Just check with your GP.

I hope you become more arid soon!

Best wishes.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 15 Oct 2018 at 01:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 15:42

Have a look at this, 

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/disposable-incontinence-products/discreet-shaped-pads.html?brand=9290&health_sex=1523&isAjax=1&p=2

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 18:40

Where we live, you have to be completely incontinent for at least 6 months before you can be referred to the district nurses for assessment for free pads. If successful (or that unfortunate) the NHS pads are large, thick and don't have a very comfortable cover. Buying Tena from Morrison's, Tesco or Asda where they are often on BOGOF is one option.

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 23:14  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 14:15

AnonMale

Not sure there is a quick way, if you have an incontinence service in you area you could try them but you will probably need an appointment and possible assessment.

Are you buying at the right price Sainsbury's sell a pack  of 10  tena2 for £3. How many are you using per day how much do leak and how often. At one point I was leaking a few MLS at least once an hour, rather than walk round with a soiled pad I wrapped some toilet roll in a nappy liner and changed the tissue when I leaked. I still wore the pad with the tissue and liner in case of major leaks.  The nappy liners can be rinsed if you want to go that far. Again Sainsbury's sell nappy liners, about £3 for 100.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 15:00

Sorry you have some post-operative incontinence, but depending on the volume of it, someone here a few weeks ago recommended Aldi new-born nappy liners, or something like that.

I think some here have had NHS freebie pads, and yet others have had to pay. A post-code lottery?

I got away with just one box of 14 Tena lights from Boots, and still have a couple left over. I’m a lucky lad.

As our Matron here helpfully points out, once you have a Big C diagnosis you are entitled to free NHS prescriptions for at least five years, regardless of age. Just check with your GP.

I hope you become more arid soon!

Best wishes.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 15 Oct 2018 at 01:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 15:42

Have a look at this, 

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/disposable-incontinence-products/discreet-shaped-pads.html?brand=9290&health_sex=1523&isAjax=1&p=2

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 16:48

Thank you everyone ^^^

TBH I am not too bad considering, I stocked up on different pads as I had no idea how I was going to be; I think a bit more advice when I had my catheter removed may have helped as I "assumed" that I would get free pads due to my circumstances.  When finances are tight all of these extra costs add up and its the last thing you need to be worrying about, for example, whilst I may be "ok" relatively to others it could still be several months of wearing pads.  Hopefully I will hear from the district nurse next week; if I get desperate I may call my MacMillan nurse for advice.

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 18:40

Where we live, you have to be completely incontinent for at least 6 months before you can be referred to the district nurses for assessment for free pads. If successful (or that unfortunate) the NHS pads are large, thick and don't have a very comfortable cover. Buying Tena from Morrison's, Tesco or Asda where they are often on BOGOF is one option.

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 23:14  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 22:09

Hi , Been totally incontinent for the last 5 years, eight pads a day

Aldies age 5 /36 pads about £2.50 tight pants required I use Pringle Pants

Lifes a b**** 

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 22:11  | Reason: Not specified